All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-12-2017, 10:13 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Default Willys Truck Ratrod

Taking on a half done project is never fun but got help a mate out so he can get back to driving this beast.

This is a friend of mine, Christos's Ratrod project that he has built from a 1948 Willys Truck cab with a 1950-53 front clip. 2wd with a Holden independent front end. The easy fun part of a 5.5" roof chop has been half done by a panel shop

Very nice blown mouse motor.

Ogre looking like he is trying to get out of jail! Some looking closely will see no radiator and think it does run yet. But it does as the radiator is behind the cab.

Ogre looking like he is trying to get out of jail! Roof has been pancaked 1", 1/2" less than mine but done in a completely different way. Rather than removing the roof skin, it has just been cut above the gutter, a strip cut out, and then put back down. Corners have had relief cuts to bend them in and then rewelded.

Concerns me that the roof is bowing downwards rather than upwards like the factory so the water spills off to both corners and out the slots that you can see one of. Window flange may no longer be at the same angle all the way along.

None of the pillars have been welded or fully aligned.

The rear wall caves inwards. Should be flush along the edge of the ruler. Just pulling the upper section out to meet the lower won't be enough.

Other side shows how the cut edge was not stretched back out before being tacked. It would have shrunk with the heat of the cutting.

For some strange reason the window was not kept whole and lowered with a step down cutout? Also not cut through the vertical section either.

There is not enough panel under the window flange to remove the 4", so some will have to come out of the back wall as well.

Problem is that the rear wall support could get in the way of the weld line and then access to hammer it out afterwards.

Maybe the panel shop left the word 'not' out in front of what they wrote!

Will weld up the old mirror holes.

Guard will need to be fixed.

The guard flapping around has caused another fatigue crack to occur

Old aerial holes need to be filled.

Centerpiece needs to be aligned and fully welded in.

Big gaps left.

Join does not look sound.

Other side the same.

Only 1/3 of the perimeter weld has been done.

So this is some of what I am starting with and will do my best to makes them right without taking too much time on it.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.

Last edited by Gojeep; 11-25-2017 at 04:42 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:56 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

What a puzzle!!!
Good luck on this one.
Will be very worth watching your progress ....

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:16 AM

you need a new challange Marcus. This one will test you
Regards Dennis
Old 11-13-2017, 06:04 PM

Thanks guys.

Got a start on it the last 3 afternoons and trying to tick some things of the list.

After levelling the cab left to right, I checked the angle of the window opening. Reads 109.4*

The middle is 111.0* so it is out just over 1.5*.

Now 1.5* does not sound like much but this shows it translates into 7mm, or just over 1/4". Now flat glass will not like bending at all, let alone that much! If the gasket tries to take it up, it will cause leaks.

So thought i would start fixing this chop there. I cut through one of the centre welds just leaving the front intact. Jacked it forward and up which closed the cut back up again.

Checked the degrees and have it perfectly spot on! I left the pressure of the jack on there while I fully welded the cut back up. Normally you might push a little further so it is still right when you take the pressure off, but I didn't in this case. Reason why is that the weld shrinkage would cause it to move forward and hoped it would balance it out. Glad to say it was still spot on after welding and the jack removed.

Finished fully welding in the right corner on the back wall. Got it all nice and flat.

Will show how I went about it on this side. Sitting inside, I hammered onto this flat dolly face to stretch the edge outwards.

Also had to bend the wall from lower down. I had the dolly on edge, and on the inside again, hammered off dolly near the top to get it to bend outwards.

The corners behind the pillars are tricky and used this spoon to lever on pushing outwards while hammering on the outside on it.

This is that single curved hammer face I made years ago. Using it in the corners to hammer outwards onto a flat faced dolly to stretch it outwards.

Due to the gap I was left with, the quickest way to weld this up was using the mig with 0.6mm-0.23" wire. This was welded non stop from one end to the other putting one tack on the next while it was still red.

Hasn't pulled in much at all. This straight after welding and no hammering.

Just took the top off the weld but leaving about a razor blade thickness left. You want some extra thickness to stretch the weld area back out. If you go flush this early you end up with thinner metal all the way along the weld seam which could lead to cracking. I really get into it with the grinder heating it up until blue. I find this softens the weld ready for planishing. Do the same on the inside if you need to.

Hammering from the inside out with my arm through the window holding the flat face of the dolly against the weld and heat effected area. Doesn't need much if you have kept your weld size down with the thinner mig wire. Don't use flux core!

Can see the weld is at the right height but a little dip above it. That was there before welding too so will hammer out that area

I check the tightness of the panel as I go along and as soon as I can feel some movement in it, I switch to hammering against this lead filled rubber dolly. What this allows is still moving the panel but without stretching it. If you keep hammering on a steel dolly you will end up with an oil can or loose panel. Working off dolly I also do at this stage with a steel one. Just depends on how much and where it needs to move. If I see a high spot near by, I will press the steel dolly with a slight dome shape to it, against that high spot while hammering the low spot on the opposite side.

The joint has now been taken down to flush with a flap disc once the panel was very close to flat. Just remember if may move with the sanding a little. Can be could to tighten a slightly loose panel without using a shrinking disc. Will use one at this stage if needed.

Now done with a strip disc and checked again to make sure it is still all flat.

Have finished welding the A pillar and mirror screw holes.

Right side done as well and also did the window frame on both sides as the near by joint. Old aerial hole a patch cut for and welded up.

B pillar half done on both sides.

I will put in a plate with a welded nut behind it for the upper seat belt bolt. Saves the bolt crushing the B pillar and the outside panel like it has. Really need to open this up anyway as otherwise you cannot get to weld the other side of the B pillar which is covered by the outside panel.

Still thinking of the best way to prepare this roof for the roof insert that the owner wants to rivet in place later on. If I had this project from the start I would have run the roof panel while it was off through the bead roller putting a step or joggle all the way around the opening. This would give the panel insert something to sit in later on and a seal underneath too. Then tipped down a small edge as well to give some stiffness.
Option 1.
The fastest way now would be to just run around with my joggle pliers and put a step in. It only puts one in though 1.2mm down and 13mm-1/2" wide. Not enough width to tip an edge. Could get the stiffness by making a frame for the insert that will then support the opening once in place.
Option 2.
Tip a 1/2" edge by hand all the way around to give the required stiffness and have the insert sit on top of the roof panel.
Option 3.
I make a piece from scratch with the joggle and tipped edge and fully weld it in all the way around the roof opening. Best end result but a lot of hammer correction later which might take more time than he wants.

Any other ideas?

Last edited by Gojeep; 11-13-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:09 PM

Hello Marcus,

What sort of insert does the owner want to put in there, please tell me it isn't Rag Top.
Next time there is a space in your Shed i'm bringing mine down to you

Stop moving so fast, you're creating a breeze.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:01 PM

Looking Good Marcus. Nice work you're doing.
The only problem I forsee is that after you're finished with it, the owner won't be able to call it a ratrod!

Cheers

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 11-13-2017, 11:10 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Thanks guys.

Got a start on it the last 3 afternoons and trying to tick some things of the list.

Still thinking of the best way to prepare this roof for the roof insert that the owner wants to rivet in place later on. If I had this project from the start I would have run the roof panel while it was off through the bead roller putting a step or joggle all the way around the opening. This would give the panel insert something to sit in later on and a seal underneath too. Then tipped down a small edge as well to give some stiffness.
Option 1.
The fastest way now would be to just run around with my joggle pliers and put a step in. It only puts one in though 1.2mm down and 13mm-1/2" wide. Not enough width to tip an edge. Could get the stiffness by making a frame for the insert that will then support the opening once in place.
Option 2.
Tip a 1/2" edge by hand all the way around to give the required stiffness and have the insert sit on top of the roof panel.
Option 3.
I make a piece from scratch with the joggle and tipped edge and fully weld it in all the way around the roof opening. Best end result but a lot of hammer correction later which might take more time than he wants.

Any other ideas?
Marcus, You've put in some premium results in short order.
Is the "insert" some sort of plex or glass?

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:56 PM

Thanks guys.

Leigh and Kent, the insert he wants to add later on will be a steel decorative panel. His thought was a bend rolled panel done in a diamond quilted pattern. I showed him a copper sheet pressed in a dragon scale pattern that he really liked too. As he wants to be able to rivet it in, it will need to have stiffening I would think for such a large area.
I wont be able to do the bead rolling on a panel that big as just have a standard sized one so why I looked to alternatives.
Not part of the job now anyway as he wants to finish off the painting of the inside this year and not have any work left that will affect that when the time comes to do the outside. Could just a joggle from pliers be enough or even just tipping the edge and have the insert panel sit on top? Is it ever done that way, probably for a Ratrod it would be there is hope that he will paint it properly one day.

Not as much to show today but took more time than needed as the window had been cut through the radius rather than the vertical section of the window.

I thought the rear window would be out of proportion if left stock height seeing it would be taller than the front windscreen. After chatting with Christos about it, he came up with a suggestion of chopping it 40mm-1.5".

So after cutting out the rest of the window curve left in the upper section and adding it to the lower piece, I chopped the 1.5" out. Think it looks spot on now with the other side now done too.

Looks like the filler piece I just made suits this welding clamp perfectly! Allows you to tack the join inside the clamp while holding everything straight.

Rear wall on the outside now all finished! Have to build the inside window flange next.

Last edited by Gojeep; 11-14-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:34 PM

Nice work Marcus as per the usual!

Could you do option 3 and spot weld it to the roof?

Cheers Charlie
Old 11-14-2017, 07:46 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

It's never fun cleaning up someone else's mess but you've got a handle on it. Looking much better already.

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.