All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-09-2017, 01:06 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Default Torch workshop - a report

Our annual "torch workshop" was held here last weekend, and we had 8 victims, making it a full house with 5 torch sets going, and an oxy-propane set and an O/H setup standing by...

We started with espresso by O/A and Bialetti, and then a safety discussion - water buckets, bottle handling, regulators, leak checking, design of torch equipment... etc.
Then soldering copper, brass, steel, rusty steel, stainless, and 3 aluminums, to themselves and also to each other, testing combinations.
Then brazing down the line of alloys, to themselves and testing for dissimilar alloy compatibility, discussing brazing of 4130 chromoly and cast iron ....
Then welding the alloys, along with a discussion of heating, annealing and hardening.
P1040608 c.jpg
O/A on stainless did not bother anyone .... too much.
Copper also went sorta well, and steel ... and aluminum.
But when welding the brass ... the white flag went up ... and the commotion in one corner got my attention ...
P1040601.jpg
Well, they gave it a good go, welding alloy 360 with SiBronze....
(I still don't have the flux for O/A on Ti, or that would have activated something!!!)
Then we finished up with some free-style practice time - and then cutting half-inch plate steel, straight cuts.
P1040612 c.jpg
- and then the big burner for annealing large parts - the modified-flow Western weed burner with the 3 ft. flame.... always fun.

It was a great 3 days, with some very interesting and talented students!! (I am deeply appreciative for the fascinating people I meet doing this stuff !!)

Now setting up for next year ...

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.