All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-05-2017, 10:23 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct 2016, June 2020, April 2023

That project is certainly exciting enough for a shop class. Wow!, Makes me want to get back in school.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Here is the Burt Buck info:

http://allmetalshaping.com/showthrea...ight=Burt+buck
Old 12-06-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
thanks thats some good info
I was a little hesitant about posting here, didnt know if it would fit in with some of the amazing work displayed here. I try to integrate some fab work into my class. Hammer, dolly, welding, cutting and fitting sheetmetal are all part of my curriculum. Projects like this are excellent ways to demonstrate these skills.
I would love to have more training on an english wheel, I have more experience with power and planishing hammers.
Do you have any classes at your facility, I do get money and time for professional development.
I would love to arrange a visit with students maybe we could drive our special short bus we built last year.
I probably will not have a lot of progress until after the holidays on this 'roadster' due to testing and Christmas.
Here is a picture of the bus we built. We shortened it 82 inches and grafted GM front suspension. We drove it to a build off between high schools in Charlotte NC and displayed it at a science fair at UNC Charlotte in April. Our automotive students handled the drivetrain and we got a lot of help from our welding class. Our machine shop students also got in on some of the parts.
A 1100 mile maiden voyage. Not too bad for some high school students.
here is a link of some of the things we have worked on in my class https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...g-good.950588/
Name:  bus color.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  76.3 KB

Last edited by AWM; 12-08-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:19 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

I love it already.

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:41 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Lots of us wanted to have an opportunity like that when we were young enough to not know what we couldn't/shouldn't/didn't know enough to do. The actual projects are great. Fwiw, I'm more impressed by how you're influencing them and would like to know where these young craftsmen (and craftswomen?) ultimately go with the knowledge & experience of what y'all are doing together using more than just two thumbs... Very, very cool.

Please keep us posted.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffrod View Post
Lots of us wanted to have an opportunity like that when we were young enough to not know what we couldn't/shouldn't/didn't know enough to do. The actual projects are great. Fwiw, I'm more impressed by how you're influencing them and would like to know where these young craftsmen (and craftswomen?) ultimately go with the knowledge & experience of what y'all are doing together using more than just two thumbs... Very, very cool.

Please keep us posted.
thanks, I learned you can not teach and run a body shop at the same time. Teaching a skill to a student is more important than pleasing a customer. That's why I started doing projects like this. We still teach the collision repair skills needed to succeed in this field but I add projects like this to allow students to think out side the box. During our bus build we worked after school and on some weekends, students gained so much extra experience that they just can not do in our short 1.5 hour class time. Plus having the pride in building something that eventually ended up in a national magazine is huge.
Where do these students end up? Many end up at the local shops in our area. Some move on to other things and a few join the military. Some realize they may not like this field but will have at least gained some good hands on experience. Example, one of my seniors from last year is going into HVAC and another into precision machining. Some like this as a hobby and take the class out of curiosity. I have at least one student in all the major shops near me and have some with as many a as 3. I have one talented young lady that is in the process of replacing a long employed painter that is near retirement. I have two students working in a Mercedes certified repair shop. I am getting close to having my small area saturated with students and have started looking into placing them outside my area. We are starting a new co-op program with our local shops where seniors will rotate working in these shops. We are also going to be able to count my class for their co-op credit, meaning I can have my seniors more than one class period. Last year we started a new program for our seniors that allows me to teach just about anything I want associated with collision during their second semester. This is one reason we were able to finish the bus last year. This Caddy will be the project for this year.
We also have 3 electric race cars. Think of them as battery powered go carts. They are assembled, driven and maintained by students. We built them from kits and compete against other schools. Our town has even helped us sponsor a race where we shut down 2 blocks downtown and race around our court house. For the past 5 years we have raced at Barber's race course, an international road race facility, against teams from all over our state. One of the reasons I want to be able to teach basic metal shaping and fab is so we can build our own cars and not from the kits. Sorry for the long response
Old 12-13-2017, 05:55 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

This is really great what you're doing.
Please post progress on your build here.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 12-14-2017, 08:50 AM

Class's like this are what is needed to help bring mechanical "vision" back to younger people. Don't get me wrong the computers are great tools and useful for this type of thing as well, but they need to get their hands on actual steel to inspire them i think. Please continue to post your progress. it's great someone wants to do this. In the past few years i have seen sell (and bought) so much tooling from high school shops that I thought "shop class" will never be taught again. Carry ON!
Old 12-14-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinb71 View Post
Class's like this are what is needed to help bring mechanical "vision" back to younger people. Don't get me wrong the computers are great tools and useful for this type of thing as well, but they need to get their hands on actual steel to inspire them i think. Please continue to post your progress. it's great someone wants to do this. In the past few years i have seen sell (and bought) so much tooling from high school shops that I thought "shop class" will never be taught again. Carry ON!
Sadly, a lot of shop classes have been closed, teachers retire and its hard finding folks that will do this for what they want to pay us. Many school systems don't see a need for tech education. I am fortunate to have a school board that that supports us and now have a growing support for our automotive classes, Our bus project and electric cars have gained us a lot of attention. We were on our local papers front page 3 time last year. I recently attended a meeting representing our automotive classes where our state senator and representative, mayor, some council members and local bank president attended where I showcased the things we are doing in our classes.
Local businesses are looking to us for employees and many times we are the first call made for new employees. Our state school board has even expressed interest on our projects. We attend local and regional shows, parades and all the local rod runs promoting our students work and trying to raise the awareness of technical education. . All is effort is starting to pay off. Hopefully we can keep this up, I think this Caddy build will definitely get us more attention
Old 12-17-2017, 08:23 PM

a couple of guys did some photoshop work over at the jalopy journal
these concepts are great
got a lot of decisions to make soon
We made it past exam week and now off for the holidays
I had several students pass their ASE certification, we plan to start back on the caddy when we get back

Name:  64 caddy.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  75.2 KB

Name:  caddy concept 1.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  82.5 KB