All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-25-2015, 08:45 PM

Location: Shop is NO LONGER in "Asnorveldt"( the "Marsh"), Ontario, Canada
Default Welding Sheet Metal

@ Dave Z.
Have you switched to the C25 tank for your TIG?

Old 12-25-2015, 08:53 PM

no...but as I understand straight Argon is the proper gas...Argon Helium mix if you want to weld hotter..I been doing practice beads and concentrating on being steady, arc length, and keeping the rod where it belongs. I think I rushed into my tank project to fast. Hopefully tomorrow Ill get more practice in...I think I run beads in my head even when I'm not doing it for real!
Old 12-26-2015, 09:45 AM
MetalShaper of the Month February 2020

Location: Fortuna California -- up north behind the redwood curtain

Silicon Bronze using TIG on Stainless Steel header flange. Machine set on DC using straight Argon. It flows vary nice and have never had any problems with it.

The Bronze is more forgiving with vibration cracking. Weld inside the flange and Silicon Bronze the outside.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:55 AM

I can only hope one day I can lay it down like that!
Old 12-26-2015, 11:30 AM

Steve..Is it easier to lay a nice fillet weld on something as thick as that flange vs. 16 or 18 gauge sheet steel? Seems I over heat the base metal and my weld flows out like lead solder. If I do practice welds on a flat piece and get a "bead" it looks more like a worm than a weld. Not to cold but no "dimes". I know...get pics...maybe I can figure out how to resize pics also to post here...
Old 12-26-2015, 12:01 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalShaper View Post
If you soaked the bronze through. That's your problem. Silicon bronze is used for tig brazing which just like brazing with a torch is not welding. You should only heat the base metal enough for the bronze to bond to it, not melt together. When you first welded it pin holes or not it's joined, the bronze should have been only to cover it. You shouldn't melt the base metal and bronze together. And my two cents if I were you I would practice till I could get a leak proof weld, and forget the Silicon bronze altogether. Brazing has its place in welding but I wouldn't want to use it to fill holes on my gas tank. Good luck and don't give up, you'll figure it out eventually.

Kyle
Excellent point, Kyle.
Thanks for pointing out this essential distinction.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalShaper View Post
If you soaked the bronze through. That's your problem. Silicon bronze is used for tig brazing which just like brazing with a torch is not welding. You should only heat the base metal enough for the bronze to bond to it, not melt together. When you first welded it pin holes or not it's joined, the bronze should have been only to cover it. You shouldn't melt the base metal and bronze together. And my two cents if I were you I would practice till I could get a leak proof weld, and forget the Silicon bronze altogether. Brazing has its place in welding but I wouldn't want to use it to fill holes on my gas tank. Good luck and don't give up, you'll figure it out eventually.

Kyle
You need to fully understand what Kyle has mentioned about it being a brazing process and not a welding process. After the bronze puddle is established it is manipulated with torch and filler rod to stick and more or less flow on top of the metal rather than penetrate through the base metal.

The expanded metal tread on the pedal pad is only .020 thick and .030 wide. The trick hear is to run the bead on the pedal pad and wash the bronze puddle over and pick up the expanded as we go around the perimeter . Hope this helps you visualize the process.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:11 PM

I guess with trying to make a wide cover of bronze I over heated to whole area. My intention wasn't to melt both together but after it was all said and done that's what I had. I didn't know that was possible until you guys said its what I did. What I practiced on today is a length of 3 1/2 inch by .065 wall tube that I steel welded a pipe fitting and two ends onto. Now I can put a few psi in and check for leaks. I'm going to use bronze on it also. I can keep frankensteining it to practice. To me....its a good idea for a practice piece...
Old 12-26-2015, 04:58 PM

Oh ---- I forgot to mention the above stainless steal header flange is 3/8 thick and the tube is 18 gauge .050 stainless.