All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-03-2011, 07:09 PM

OK guys before I get started with the windshield repair I need your input.The side pillars are rusted but mostly on the bottom ,the sides have a little. Whats the best way to do this.If cut where the side and the bottom meet in the corner how I'm I going to dress it up.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:27 PM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

Although not as extensive as what you're doing, here is a similar repair I did on a 65 Fairlane:

Didn't notice this was lurking until I got cleaning up the rear window channel, hoping to get a step closer to primer.

The first step I normally take is to use the pick to check the surrounding area for any hidden damage, and decide how far to take the opening. Once you find solid metal, the next consideration is the ease of dressing out the repair. It's easier to grind and sand on an outside radius than an inside one, so that is factored into the cut size. Sometimes you don't have a choice, but best to make it easier on yourself when you can!

The channel is actually made in two pieces. The spot welds in the pinch weld area are removed from the top layer to remove the damaged pieces. The vertical piece actually travels down beyond the bottom of the window in this case, so that will be installed first. A new piece is cut out and bent to fit, and final sanding/grinding to get a tight weld joint.

The bottom piece has a radius in two directions, slopes up and in.

The outer radius was hammer formed after the shrinking and stretching was done. Then trimmed to fit and welded in place.

The inside joint between the two pieces was welded together and dressed out with a ball nose burr grinder. ( I think this is what you're referring to) I wanted it to be nice and smooth for less of a water trap....

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel
Old 01-11-2011, 01:47 PM

very good work, when cutting old the old metal what are your using for the cutting?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:08 PM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

Thanks, I used a 3" abrasive cutoff wheel, .035 thick

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel
Old 01-13-2011, 01:36 PM

Ok guys this is the only way I could do this and I need to know if I need to leave a small space between the pieces or put then tight together before I weld.Look real close the pictures don't do justice this took me awhile so I don't want to mess it up.Please tell me what you would do.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:40 PM

I never leave intentionally a gap between the panels.
Off course due to some cutting/shaping inperfection you will end up with a little gap somewhere.

I always weld so that it burns through the panel, then it is possible to weld without a gap.
If you weld on lower amps it is interessting to leave a little gap to compensate for the lower weld penetration.

Hope it helps...

www.classic-restorations.be Soon on-line.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:31 PM

Finished the back

Old 01-24-2011, 09:43 PM

Ok guy with all the knowledge on this site has anybody every had a problem down the road welding sheet metal on the roof line.I don't know if I asked the right question.When I repaired the back window channel I put the weld in the middle because of the rust issue.Now on to the front windshield I,d like to know hows the weld going to hold up on the very edge of the roof line.Again thanks for all the help