All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-08-2016, 07:24 AM

Default Finding a stump?

Hi folks, this is my very first thread lol.
I am trying to source out a stump and seem to be a bit lost.
Yeah I know, sounds sad. I live in Toronto where the weather is cold and wet right noway, so looking for a stump outside I'm guessing maybe a bad thing. Now I look online and I run into ads for stumps being sold as decorative furniture pieces that are quite costly. Should I just grab something from the outdoors and just let it dry out. Something that would seem very simple and I am having a hard time. I appreciate any advice and tips you can send my way. Also what is a good price for a stump? Thanks guys...GM

Check my Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/george.murdoch.73
Old 03-08-2016, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

George, have you looked for tree surgeons? These are folks who take down dead and damaged trees. Normally, at least around here, they have parts of the tree that they can't sell for firewood because it's not easy to split. Stumps and crotches frequently fall into this category. Call a couple and tell them what you want and see what they will charge. Also, these folks usually have a 'yard' where they bring their stuff for processing into firewood. Also check for folks who sell firewood.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:36 AM

Default make your own

Use some 2 X10, 2 X 12 lumber, screw it together. less likely to split, and easier to make square cuts so it will stand up and you can do the rough shape on each piece before screwing it togethewr.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:38 AM

Default make your own

Use some 2 X 10 or 12 lumber, easier to make a square cut so it will stand up and ypu can rough shape each piece, glue and screws.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:34 AM

Thanks guys thsee are great ideas. What I need to do is make a stump that would serve 2 purposes as I live in an apartment and I am limited on space. So what I am going to do is find something or even make something that I can have in the living room but look good at the same time so my wife won't beat me lol...GM

Check my Facebook
Old 03-08-2016, 10:12 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

I brought home a new stump (plus a spare....) from the Redneck Roundup, a section of oak that's lots bigger than the two I've had for years. Now my daughter wants one of them to go in her bedroom as an art table/stool..... for now, both are still in the shop.

You might consider making a simple lift-off top for whatever you bring home to serve double duty as a table when you're not doing metal work.. Even if it's only plywood with a tablecloth over it, it may keep the peace and not waste space.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Or, you could get a tuck puck from Mr. C
Old 03-08-2016, 11:55 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdoch View Post
Thanks guys thsee are great ideas. What I need to do is make a stump that would serve 2 purposes as I live in an apartment and I am limited on space. So what I am going to do is find something or even make something that I can have in the living room but look good at the same time so my wife won't beat me lol...GM
I wrote up a little booklet a few years ago on how to acquire a stump and set it up. I recommend calling the Arbor services, firewood guys, City Works dept, Parks Dept, Forestry people, etc. Pine is a last choice, although I've gotten by with cottonwood, fir, etc. I now have a madrone stump that I set in an oil drain pan for a few days, letting the butts soak up a couple gallons of boiled linseed oil. And this stump has checked far less than any other over the last 40 years.

I used my first stump - pine - to make this 300 America rear bumper center section, in 1974.
300 America bumper section.jpg
I was in my 2nd year apprenticeship at HAC, and used the stump, a body hammer, a track dolly and slapper, and a 9inch Milw. sidewinder w/80grit to make the two halves. I gas welded the seam and finished it off with 120 grit, cutting my own 9inch circles and punching out the centers to fit my body grinder. The owner was very pleased with the fit and finish, and I was off on a long career doing Ferrari body/frame reconstructions.

Find a strong part of your apartment floor to set the stump on ....

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Or, you could get a tuck puck from Mr. C
A tuck puck I am guessing is a polymer based puck shaped thingie with a bowl into it?

I am actually going to try and draw out a coffee table that would double as a storage for some tools and a stump and a jewelers bench. This is awesome info guys thanks for the input, I'll post a render when it's done...GM

Check my Facebook
Old 03-08-2016, 12:28 PM
Administrator

http://www.tuckpuck.com/ Invented by Carey Culpepper (Mr. C). They work great.