All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-22-2016, 01:43 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Default Nickel plating in northern CA

Does anyone have a recommendation for a shop that does nickel plating at a reasonable price? My nephew is restoring a 1924 Studebaker and needs to have the radiator shell replated. The first quote he received was $1200.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:34 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinke View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation for a shop that does nickel plating at a reasonable price? My nephew is restoring a 1924 Studebaker and needs to have the radiator shell replated. The first quote he received was $1200.
Kalifornia EPA has made plating shops either all go closed loop - or closed doors.
Lack of competition has driven prices up and choices down.
I started using Sherm back in 1986 when he was still alive, and now I work with the guys at Sherm's Plating carefully or things can get bumpy. Prices are what they are, for me.
I imagine there are other choices in SoCal ..... or out of state. (Your quote source is not mentioned.)

The thicker the nickel the more yellow the color of the Ni. HAC used to have Ni yellow enough that the Pebble judges looked for it.....

Ni is polished after acid copper and again after Ni plating.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:00 PM
Member MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2013

A lot of California shops of all types have left the state. Look for platers in Reno, Las Vegas, and Arizona. About all you can do in California now is sit in offices and push paper. Also try Tijuana.

Richard

When I die heaven can wait, I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

My sculpture web page http://www.fantaciworks.com
Old 11-22-2016, 07:17 PM

Default parker az ?

We used to deal with a shop that got hasseled so much in the los angles area that he relocated to parker arizona. I don't know if they are still in business but on high quality jobs he would nickel first then chrome.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:11 PM

Has he talked to EPS in Hayward. I have only ever used them for Cad, I believe they do Nickel. Two things strike me about plating, Its always more expensive than you expect, and the quality is directly proportional to what you paid for it.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:24 PM

My father had a plating shop here in northern California that was shut down by the epa. The money is in labor not as much in the plating itself. Before the nickel goes on it has to be stripped blasted the sanded. After that it gets copper plated then back to the sanding and if it needs lead work it's done at this point. The 5 minutes in a nickel tank and a final polish. Request samples and pictures because if they do a bad job you'll see all the sanding marks prior to plating. You truly get what you pay for.

Sam
Old 11-30-2016, 03:56 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Thanks for the responses and information, it's very helpful. It's no wonder that late model cars have almost no plated items on them.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:50 PM

Default Regulation

Joel,

You think that finding plating is difficult - try to find someone that will put a porcelain coating on an old cast iron sink or tub. From my research - no one in the US will touch it. Most powder coaters will not even overcoat it, because their waste products are examined an the fines are huge.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.