All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-14-2012, 12:23 PM

Default TIG Welding Aluminum ???

Hey guys /gals ?? Yesterday I made a practice gas tank (3 pieces) , I was having a real time trying to TIG the parts together , it was taking way to much heat and the rod walls totally balling up , a friend over the phone told me to look for a torch / air leak like maybe I was getting air in my tank air and contaminating the weld , I had all the settings correct, I had a green electrode etc............ anyway after trying to locate these problems I did a quick test on a piece if harder aluminum I used for practicing and well'a perfect stacked dimes looking welds .... Is it possible the 3003 h-14 doesn't TIG (.063 ) maybe thats why people like to gas weld it with the special flux etc. Any HELP is appreciated !!!!

Paul
Old 03-14-2012, 01:41 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Paul, I cant help you with the tig welding, In my opinion gas should be used for ally work, in my experience tig welds tend to crack when they are being dressed out. Just my opiinion but I know that Kerry did some 'blind' test pieces with gas and tig and found much the same thing, there is a thread on here about it somewhere. Not saying it cant be done just I think gas is better for lots of reasons .Probably not much help sorry.

David

All things are possible.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:34 PM

Gas welding, IMO, is the way to go as the weld bead is softer and as David mentioned, won't crack when dressed out.

Kent White from TM Technologies does an effective & impressive demo on Youtube of heavy forming & planishing a gas welded part with no cracking. You can also use less filler, requiring less filing of the bead and when proficient should weld more inches per minute than with TIG.

I'm not aware of difficulties with TIG and 3003, but check that your filler rod is the recommended grade. I like to tack the parts with the TIG and gas weld the seam.

BTW, check that the torch and ground aren't swapped in the machine's sockets - it will make welding virtually impossible and put too much heat into the tungsten - causing it to ball & erode excessively.

Manny
Old 03-14-2012, 05:11 PM

First off, you are tig welding, not gas, so lets start there. Your parent material isnt the issue, I have successfully welded a good amount of .063 3003 h-14 and shaped the seams after dressing out.

Lets look for possible contamination, welder settings, tungsten size, dirty gas lens or collet body, pinched hose, too much gas flow can cause issues, and improper filler rod.

Try a sliver of parent material for a filler. Be certain it is in fact 3003 you are welding. Double triple quadruple check your welder settings per your manual that came with the machine. use their recommended settings for what you are doing. Look to see if they have a chart for aluminum filler rods too, that will get you going in the right direction. Once you have exhausted the info in the manual, and ascertained that you followed it to a T, then we can start narrowing things down.

Are you able to get a stable arc on the 3003? what material is your "harder" practice piece? answering these will help us be able to help you. Usually, its something simple, something overlooked.

Marty
Old 03-14-2012, 06:33 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan. 2010

Might try two things..
ONe start your arc off the 'crack'
and two make your initial arc a lot hotter than what you would run the bead with (back off the heat when you get going)
Old 03-15-2012, 07:18 AM

If you are referring to the "filler" rod balling up... That's created by improper tig torch angle. In that case rock the torch to more 90 degree angle in relation to the work surface.

If you are referring the "tungsten" rod balling up... That could be caused from several different issues including undersized tungsten, amperage too high, machine Balance setting too far into dig or too far into clean.

If you need higher amperage to get the weld bead going, try preheating your work piece a little hotter. I do this when I need to do decorative welds that require smaller beads of filler (for example is you have a very fine point or edge that you are trying to create by adding filler and shaping.) If not, you will need too much amperage and you will boil the base metal away. Detail Aluminum tig is what I specialize in that requires being able to weld in any position.. All of my work is 3003. see pic.

metal must submit...

Last edited by King's Ransom; 03-15-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Paul, 3003 welds just fine with TIG. That is all Monique, my roadster, and the current tractor hood is welded with. 100% argon.

The fact that you made some good welds with another alloy confuses the issue. From that, we can assume that your welder is set correctly for that material and you know how to use it. We can also eliminate contamination from your gas bottle.

Some questions:

- how thick is the metal you successfully welded ?
- what kind of welder? Some welders will work well on thicker material but not on thinner. Miller Econotig for example.
- what are your settings?

I'd suggest contamination is the culprit. Take some 3003 scrap, Wipe down both sides with lacquer thinner and CLEAN the heck out of it with a stainless brush. Clean the surrounding area too. I take a Scotchbrite pad and wipe down my welding rod too. Can't be too clean.

It's not really clear what this means
Quote:
the rod walls totally balling up
???
Old 03-15-2012, 07:50 AM
MetalShaper of the month 06-12, 02-14

Hey Paul,

Look up the thread titled:

TIG welding aluminium panels David Gardiner (Page 4)

Also try scaping the oxide layer off the filler rod as oxides melt at a higher temp than the core alloy and pre heating the parts to be welded to the boiling point of water 100 °C (212 °F) will also help...

Welding in general takes practice no matter what you use as the heat source and cracking can occure with Oxy welding if not done right also.
I have had great success with both Oxy and Tig but prefer the tig these days.

Good Luck

www.kustomgarage.com.au
Old 03-15-2012, 10:38 PM

Default TIG welding aluminum

www.weldingtipsandtricks.com

Go to the "TIG Welding Aluminum"

Full of helpful tips and instruction.

.063 3003 H14 can be TIG welded with NO PROBLEM.

Don't over think what you are doing.

You should NOT need ANY preheat with .063 material!!!!!!

Do not start at the edge, start about 1" in, vary where you weld, distortion

Set YOUR TIG machine correctly, 100% Argon set at about 15 -20 cfm,

1/16 or 3/32, (I prefer 3/32, puts more heat, then back off heat with foot

pedal), Green tungsten.

For some reason 5356 filler rod works best on my machine.

1/16 or 3/32 diameter.

You should be getting a good weld with less than 100 amps.

Use a CLEAN Stainless steel scratch brush, clean your about to be welded

surfaces with CLEAN Acetone and a CLEAN paper towel.

Practice, practice, practice.....

Did I mention TIG welding stuff should be CLEAN,

like you can EAT off it!!!!!

I weld Aluminum almost every day, various fabrication for drag cars.

(yes, I used to TEACH welding, we STARTED the new students on

ALUMINUM!!!)

Your Pal, Gary

Last edited by G. Anderson; 03-15-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:58 AM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Comstock View Post
First off, you are tig welding, not gas, so lets start there. Marty
The OP asked about gas welding...

David

Just to add if you use gas welding all you have to do is wipe the edge with some scotch bright, flux and weld then wash the flux off with water. You will not get flux inclusion if you can weld properly. Gas welding was used by Aston Martin, Rolls Royce, Bentley, and every other manufacturer of coachbuilt cars.

David

All things are possible.

Last edited by David Gardiner; 03-16-2012 at 02:14 AM.