All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Stuff For Sale > Individual Classifieds
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-17-2019, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Default Marvel Model 8 bandsaw

This is the holy grail of bandsaws. The Marvel Model 8 has been made almost 100 years with little change. These are amazing saws. It is a horizontal bandsaw and is unique in that the entire head with moving saw blade moves into the material. The head tilts 45 degrees to either side and the table has Tslots so you can clamp material and make compound angle cuts. Adjustable power feed and auto cutoff.

Capacity at 45 Degrees 18” x 13”. Capacity – Nominal 18” x 20”. Maximum Capacity 18” x 22 1/2”. Vise Opening 21”

20190617_164535.jpg

20190617_164541.jpg

20190617_164556.jpg

20190617_164607.jpg

I've seen the vices alone go for $500. That's the good news. Now for the rest of the story. I bought this at auction with the intention of repairing it and replacing my 1937 vintage Marvel that has built over 400 wheeling machines and tons of other stuff. I never got around to it and at this point in my life, it ain't gonna happen. It was missing the drive shaft but I have a spare that goes with it. However the spare is worn and will need to be built up with brass and turned to the proper diameter. You'll also need a drive chain or convert to belt. I use belts on mine and have had no issues at all. The electrics are in unknown condition but the are dirt simple. A two HP motor and a contractor and you're good to go. The motor appears to be stuck but it was free a couple years ago. New bearings in it and I suspect it will be good. Otherwise motors are cheap. It would not have to be 3 phase and it would be easy enough to convert to a 2HP single phase. I swapped the motor on my antique for a newer one. Nothing to it. Note, I have never seen this in operation but have no reason to suspect there is anything wrong with it that I haven't mentioned.

Parts are available from Marvel or D'Arcy.

These things routinely sell on ebay for $5000. I could get this going and probably get close to that. But I don't have the time or motivation to do it and I'm willing to sell this to a fellow shaper for what I have in it...$500. Total out the door. I can load but will not ship. It will need to be picked up before August 1.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:18 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Kerry, I always wondered how you made those deep cuts on all that rectangular tubing……. so now I know. I’m glad you don’t live closer, otherwise I’d probably be over there looking at that saw. At 71 I’ve already managed to accumulate too many projects so my appetite for them has shrunken considerably. It's funny how aging changes perspectives on things . ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 06-27-2019, 07:09 PM

looks to be about the same vintage as mine. Best saw ever made for non sheet metal use! Even in the shape that that one is in $500 is a steal!
Old 06-28-2019, 02:49 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Passed up a Marvel 20+ years ago - no room for it. Got a big Well Saw instead.
Marvel saws are the primo choice - but sometimes they are really worn and then need a LOT of rebuilding effort.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.