All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-03-2020, 09:02 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2018, August 2021,November 2023

Catchup update #7

This post will be about the rear window and the beginning of the trunk floor.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  73.3 KB

For some reason, I never finished welding the rear window opening into the roof. I focused back on this area for a little bit. Welded the inner structure to the quarter panels inside and trimmed the opening to the roof skin and started welding my way around it.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  70.5 KB

Here I've welded the "fillet" at the bottom of the window frame to the quarter panels and blended it all in.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  68.7 KB

Working my way around the window. Tacked every inch or so, eventually fully tig welded.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  70.4 KB

Passenger half all welded in, ground and cleaned up.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  71.2 KB

Also the driver's side of the quarter window area that I fabricated early was never finish welded...….that's all done now.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  73.4 KB

In preparation for the trunk floor, I first fabricated some chassis stand offs for the body mounts. This raised it above the fuel tank to the level that I would eventually need.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  73.7 KB

Here is the rear trunk floor / body mount brace. The standoffs weld to the top of the rear frame crossmember.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  76.4 KB

Close up of the stand off, body mount pad (other half inside the floor brace) and the trunk floor brace.

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  74.7 KB

Hard to visualize, but the standoffs are now welded to the top of the rear frame crossmember. I also added doubler plates inside the floor brace and have it bolted into position.

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  73.4 KB

Made a pattern and bent up a trunk floor. I punched some holes for access to the body mounts. Also stepped an edge around the openings for the fuel tank pump & sender for future access panels to be added.

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  71.9 KB

A view looking towards the rear. I broke the floor at the rear of the floor brace. It dives down and attaches to the rear bumper pocket that I built earlier. This helps stiffen up the rear bumper mount area, but most importantly gives me a good area to attach the interior structure to, as obviously I can't attach it to the exterior body skin.

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  76.3 KB

Flared an opening for the fuel neck to pass through.

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  71.0 KB

Now to get rid of the square corner for the wheel tub area and add a rounded corner with the soft radius bend I have on the edge of the floor.

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  68.6 KB

Trimmed the small piece I fabricated and spliced it into the floor.....

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  69.4 KB

All welded and cleaned up.

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  72.6 KB

Here you can see how the radius corner will match the small radius on the wheel tub. I didn't want a 90 deg. wheel tub edge, but also didn't want a big large radius, as that would make upholstery / interior work harder later.

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  74.8 KB

Here you can see the trunk floor how it attaches to the rear bumper pocket (the rear roll pan is removed in this pic) I actually made a separate piece and shrunk / stretched to fit the curve of the bumper pocket and later trimmed and butt welded it to the floor section.

Dane
Old 01-03-2020, 09:39 PM

Catchup update #8

This post will focus around the rear package tray and wheel tubs

Also, so I don't forget....in an upcoming post I'd like to add a couple videos, is there an easy way to do that? Or just a link to a my youtube or such? Any help appreciated.

Views: 825

Following the basic cardboard mockup that I did earlier....I started fabricating a new rear package tray.

Views: 829
Size:  74.0 KB

A view of the package tray from the inside.

Note: The clear flexible straight edge roughly simulates the shape this rear area behind the seats will have.

Views: 811
Size:  72.7 KB

One last view from front dead center.

Views: 791

Before I got too ahead of myself with the package tray, I had to backtrack and take care of the trunk jamb opening.

If we remember, I moved the rear window forward like 8"-9", which led to it needing to be widened about 2"-3".

Views: 817
Size:  72.2 KB

I was able to reuse part of the original. I had to cut it in half, move it out to match the quarter (thus needing to fab a new section in the middle) I also had to make a new 8"-9" lip towards the rear to match up to the existing lip.

Views: 799
Size:  69.9 KB

The next thing to figure out was tying the roof rails into the wheel tubs / rear body structure. I made these extensions that slide over the rail I made previously. They plug weld around it and have a nice large pad that has plenty of surface area to plug weld the wheel tub to later.

Views: 810

Here is the extension slid on the roof rail.

Views: 831
Size:  71.3 KB

Starting to fabricate the outer wheel tub side. I first made a 90 deg. flange and shrunk / stretched it to follow the wheel opening on the quarter. Later I trimmed and butt welded it to the panel I made for the wheel tub. (In time the wheel tub edge is then plug welded in the wheel opening lip.

Views: 799
Size:  75.0 KB

Roughed in the wheel tub.

Note: I couldn't get it in one piece....thus why it is spliced in the front.

Views: 797
Size:  74.7 KB

A view of the wheel tub from the trunk.

Views: 796
Size:  72.1 KB

This little panel helps tie the package tray into the wheel tub and stiffened things up nicely.

You can also see how the roof rail extension mates up to the wheel tub.

Views: 790
Size:  69.7 KB

Now this area needs a little attention.....

Views: 800
Size:  70.0 KB

I made this panel that ties the roof rail, package tray and rear window structure together. I punched some holes for no other reason than to make it look more interesting for now.

Name:  14.jpg

Here is the passenger outer wheel tub panel in the works. I have the bubble insulation between it and the quarter panel to make sure it doesn't rub.

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  75.6 KB

Both wheel tubs roughed in. They are only set in there for now and not welded. The edges are all overlapping, etc. currently.

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  75.1 KB

A view from the inside.

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 782

One last look from the front.

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  73.9 KB

For a slight change of pace, and I needed a break from the rear. I decided to see what the false floor would look like when fabricated and installed. I did this so the bottom of the car is smooth and uncluttered, but with the floor braces internal it would be impossible to upholster / carpet. Adding a false floor that can unbolt gives me the opportunity to add sound / heat deadener and insulation between the floor layers, but most importantly gives a perfectly flat smooth floor to carpet over eventually.

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  72.9 KB

Here two panels are fabricated and bolted in place (I didn't do the one under / behind the seat yet)

Name:  20.jpg
Size:  74.3 KB

Here they are with the seat installed. It's a nice soft transition into the door jamb also.

Dane
Old 01-04-2020, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Dane, I am a big fan of your work! THANK you for taking the time to post.

If your customer ever starts whining about the quality of your work...have him call me.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:08 AM

Amazing work -- The foam mockup for the console looks interesting too!
Old 01-04-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Dane, I am a big fan of your work! THANK you for taking the time to post.

If your customer ever starts whining about the quality of your work...have him call me.
Thank you and everyone for the nice compliments. Luckily this is a great customer, and in fact a repeat customer!

Catchup update #9

This post is a bit out of sequence, but it was a fun little "side track" project that I worked on a bit back. It involves an idea I had for actuating the taillight in some manner to gain access to a hidden fuel fill.

The reason I did this now, was so I could have the mechanism done and in place when the time came to fabricate all the inner truck / quarter panel structure. Easier to plan ahead now, rather than backtrack later.

I came up with this idea in my head, designed it all on my computer in 3D and then machined it all out. In the end it worked out better than I could have hoped!

Hopefully I can make sense of the mechanism / actuator. I'll try to explain it as best as I can. The first post I'll show the computer designs I drew up.

Views: 716
Size:  73.5 KB

I'll refer to this part as the outer housing. This (the open end) will eventually bolt to the tail light opening in the quarter panel. I machined it with a step in the middle that some oil bronze bushings pressed up against.

Views: 731
Size:  75.3 KB

This screen shot shows how the oil bushings press into the housing and against the internal step.

Views: 711
Size:  75.4 KB

Inside the outer housing is an inner shaft. This shaft is what the actual tail light will attach to. In the simplest explanation...this shaft just slides in and out of the outer housing.

Views: 733

Here's where it may get a bit confusing....

Inside the bore of the inner shaft is a linear actuator, it is attached to the cap of the outer housing as well. This actuator just pushes and pulls the inner shaft in or out of the outer housing.

Views: 709
Size:  20.6 KB

Here is a more rendered view of the design. (Not the stand in for the tail light housing, is generic)

The one thing to note is the "helical slot" in the outer housing. As the linear actuator pushes or pulls, the inner shaft follows this slot and rotates the tail light accordingly.

Views: 725
Size:  21.1 KB

Here is the assembly with the outer shaft not visible. There are small shoulder bolts with small brass bushings that slide in the helical slots in the outer housing.

Views: 710
Size:  18.1 KB

Here is the same assembly with the inner shaft hidden as well.

Views: 703
Size:  21.8 KB

This close up shows the connection of the linear actuator to the outer housing end cap. Obviously since the actuator is attached to the inner shaft, when it rotates it also needs to freely rotate on the point it's attached to the outer housing. A pair of thrust bearings on each side of the end cap allow this to happen.

Views: 711
Size:  69.7 KB

Some of the raw materials I started with for the project.

Note the custom tail lights that the customer had designed and built (not by myself)

Views: 686
Size:  58.3 KB

This is the start of the outer housing. 3" solid aluminum

Views: 688
Size:  69.2 KB

Here is the linear actuator used.

Dane
Old 01-04-2020, 07:18 PM

Catchup update #10

This will focus on the start of the machine work for the above tail light mechanism. I will also try to add a video of the initial test. (There are 2 video links in this post)

Views: 695
Size:  72.1 KB

The first pass on the lathe to true up the aluminum stock used for the outer housing.

Views: 633

The profile of the outer housing machined to finished size.

Views: 582
Size:  70.1 KB

Here is a video as I'm boring out the outer housing to the correct internal diameter.

https://youtu.be/azPMRuNd7k8

Pressing the oil bushings into the outer housing. If you look, you can see the internal "step" that will locate it.

Views: 577
Size:  77.7 KB

Here the oil bushing is pressed all the way to the internal step.

Views: 610
Size:  62.1 KB

Outer housing machining finished externally and internally.

Views: 602
Size:  76.7 KB

Here is the start of the inner shaft. The end with the "lip" is the end opposite of the tail light. The lip is a bigger diameter than the oil bronze bushing....thus allowing it not to accidently slide out of the outer housing if the linear actuator had a problem.

Views: 562
Size:  68.7 KB

I machined a "disc" to slide inside the bore of the inner shaft. This will eventually be the internal mount for the linear actuator. If you look close, the holes in the disc line up with a hole on the inner shaft. A pin slides through them and the linear actuator holding them all in place.

Views: 605
Size:  69.9 KB

Here the top of the disc was cut away. This also shows how the pin holds everything in place.

Views: 580
Size:  60.5 KB

Here is the disc without the actuator slid into the bore of the inner shaft. I made it a disc, so it drops down inside, I can put the actuator in and rotate it all until the pin lines everything up. Really easy.

Views: 586
Size:  63.2 KB

One more showing how the actuator fits inside the bore of the inner shaft.

Views: 614
Size:  77.4 KB

Here is the end cap for the outer housing. Also I machined an adapter up that screws into the end of the linear actuator.(the tapered aluminum part) The thrust bearings and washers slide onto the shaft of the adapter and through the center hole of the housing end cap.

Views: 634
Size:  76.3 KB

Here the adapter is threaded into the linear actuator.

Views: 591
Size:  74.0 KB

The assembly all put together. This will now slide into the outer housing and the end cap can get bolted on.

Here is a video testing this setup (without the rotation operation yet)

https://youtu.be/MQhysFXhjtY

Dane

Last edited by pplace; 01-04-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:42 PM

Catchup update #11

This update will focus on the process to attach the tail light to the previous mechanism as well as the testing of it (1 video link) before fitting inside the quarter panel (next update)

Views: 598
Size:  76.8 KB

The small shoulder bolts and the bronze bushings I machined to run in the helical slots to rotate the taillight as it travels out.

Views: 594

Attached to the inner shaft (the bushings are free to rotate on the shoulder bolts)

Views: 587
Size:  67.5 KB

Machining a slot in the end of the inner shaft for the tail light mount to "key" into.

Views: 592
Size:  70.0 KB

The "keyed" inner shaft. The shorter shaft will attach to the tail light.

Views: 615
Size:  67.2 KB

Fit together (no bolts yet)

Views: 607
Size:  47.8 KB

Here two bolts (one on each side) are machined and bored into the shafts to hold them together.

Views: 595
Size:  65.6 KB

An aluminum plate was cut to fit inside the tail light housing. It was welded to the short section of inner shaft.

Views: 568
Size:  70.8 KB

Bolted together with the tail light housing.

Views: 590
Size:  75.7 KB

The completed assembly all ready for some testing! Video below

https://youtu.be/EVGD8EO9eLw

Note: I have the assembly extend straight out a bit before it rotates. This is so the tail light will for sure clear the painted quarter panel without possibly hitting it.

Dane

Last edited by pplace; 01-04-2020 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:00 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2018, July 2022

Incredible work, thanks for sharing. I hope your customer appreciates the skill and fine craftsmanship that has gone into this project.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:29 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Wow, Zane. Outstanding work.

Sorry, I missed the part of why you have a rotating tail light?

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 01-05-2020, 08:48 AM

Very nice!!