All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-18-2017, 09:36 PM

Here are the pics of what Im working with. As far as the floor it wasnt all that terrible. The inner and outer rockers were shot completely the floor wasnt bad up until the kick panel area, but my dad was insistent on replacing everything. His car, so didnt argue. Didnt even dawn on me to leave the tunnel and go from there. Ill explain what youre looking at in each pic.

Here is the drivers side front section of the floor. It is just in a mock up state but very close. You can see a small gap on the side there towards the front. There is a panel I have to make that will fill that gap.

Here is the rear section mocked up

Here is a close up shot of the seam between the outer rocker and the floor panel as the front. You can see from the edge of the outer rocker is, and about 3/4" to the right the floor starts to curve down.

Here is the rear section. You can see here the same seam line from the but notice how instead of a 3/4" space before the floor turns down, it starts right at the seam. This makes me think like stated above the flange on the floor should be straightend out and moved outward to straighten the floor out a bit. (the spot welds in this pic just hold the outer rocker panel not the floor.)

Old 03-19-2017, 08:38 AM

It is often said that the last 10% of the job is 90% of the work. I have found this to be true. It is our hope that buying pre made panels will somehow shorten this curve. Never happens. I never use more of a patch panel than I need to get to good metal. Just because you have it does not obligate you to use it. Good metal is still good metal. I have done work for my Dad before, so I know where you are on pleasing the customer. Good luck on the last 10% of this job. If it helps your outlook any, Your 90% done with only 90% to go. Eat that Big ole Elephant one bite at a time.

Gando
David Gandy
Concord, N.C.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:46 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Common beginner's mistake ………. cutting away the car to fit a patch panel rather than trimming the patch panel to fit into and repair the rust damaged area. I have seen it done so many times. The shame of it is many times the patch panels are lighter gauge that the original panel. ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 03-19-2017, 02:31 PM

I'll keep plugging away and chalk this up to a learning curve. I know I can eventually get the result I am after, even if it's the hard way to get there. Won't let the 10% beat me, while learning that I should have replaced what needed replacing vs the whole thing.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:34 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

That's the spirit.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 03-19-2017, 03:50 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Yes indeed, that is the right spirit.

Cody, you are in what is AKA "the icky middle" - where too many give up or start in fresh. I think I can safely say: "Those of us who have gotten any level of competence did so by sticking it out through the tough spots; seeing it through; not giving up."

Good for you. (Thumbs UP.)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.