All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Metalshaper of the Month, May 2010

These are cheap and if you don't have a set.... get a set. For 5 or 10 bucks, they're pretty handy.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Spectator

Went back to the Fly Wheelers and got this $40.00
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0228101140.jpg (79.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-28-2010, 11:57 AM

Default Other items

Did you confirm that it's for 75/25? Do you have a hose?

Do a soap and water test on all the connections once you get it together.

Electric welding puts off light rays that will give you a sun tan or sun burn. You need to protect all exposed skin. Light shirts don't do the job, as you'll end up getting a burn right through them. You should also consider the flamabiity of clothing and shoes worn. With the helmet down, on a hot day, you won't know that you are on fire until it really gets going - ask me how I know. Oh yah, that also brings up the fire extinguisher need.

John
Old 02-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Spectator

You guys are killing me

No I did not confirm that

Gonna get the welding jacket

Got a few extinguishers

Two outta three ain't bad
Old 02-28-2010, 12:27 PM

The tapered fitting confirms that it is not for CO2, it will work on argon, C25, or your fav mig mix. The sight glass on the flowmeter will have different graduations for the different gasses, should work juust fine.

Good score on the flowmeter too, those things arent usually that inexpensive.

Marty
Old 02-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Spectator

Yeah, my buddy said he just paid $140 for what I just bought. Probably a better gauge though.

The guy also told me to buy a bottle at Farm Fleet they exchange the small one for $20
Old 02-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Metalshaper of the Month, May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
With the helmet down, on a hot day, you won't know that you are on fire until it really gets going - ask me how I know. Oh yah, that also brings up the fire extinguisher need.

John
You wanna see a photo description of irony? This was like 30 minutes after I read this post.... lmao (It's not hot out though) Unbelievable...

Old 02-28-2010, 04:49 PM

Some where I read, if you smell something burning while welding, STOP and put yourself out.
At several welding supply store around here, they just exchange bottles. The cost of testing them, as needed, is built into their pricing structure.
Several years ago from one supplier, the band at the top was a different color for owned or leased tanks.
All of my tanks have a band with some companys name on them. I own 8 and 1 is leased with no separate marking. The 10 year lease is the price of the tank, renewable every 10, guaranteed to return what I paid (like the price is going down?). If I don't return it I guess it's mine.
I think I would stay away from the real small bottles as Overkill says, price per CF will kill you.
Ask questions, it seems they all have different policies and practices. If you opt for the HF bottle, the supplier may just exchange with you for a full one.
Ron
Ron
Old 02-28-2010, 05:21 PM

Default Exchange bottles

Ron,

In my area, the collars with names on them are rentals. As long as the guy in the store knows you, and knows it's an ownership, no problem. But what happened to me a number of years ago, is the local store sold out to a big chain. Chain guy insisted that all my cylinders with names on the collars were rentals and he couldn't swap them out unless I had a signed rental agreement.

So now, any time I exchange, I get a clean collar or I don't exchange. Saves on headaches.

Also, used to be I'd pick up a cylinder at a garage sale - cheap. Didn't matter the gas, I'd just exchange it for whatever I needed. Apparently that was happening too much, so the Corp. guys decided that they'd just give a credit to me for the old cylinder ($25) and charge me for a new cylinder ($150). Killed my method of having back up cylinders... Was told that they were having inventory control issues, so they had to come up with new policies.

Charley, Marty is correct (of course) - and I think that he's right regarding the flow meter having different graduations for argon vs 75/25. As long as you get enough 75/25 out of it to cover the weld pool, you'll be fine. Look at it closely and see if the flow meter has anything identifying what gas it is to be used on.

John

John
Old 02-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Spectator

Im pretty confident it's what I need, it says co2 on the left markings & AR on the right. so hopefully I can get a bottle tomorrow