All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Metalshaping videos on-line
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-21-2014, 08:37 AM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Default Assessing Poor Panel Work: 1957 Alfa Giulietta

This is my walk-around of the 57 Giulietta project that came to my shop.

http://youtu.be/QTcoWE_ks7A

I would be glad to hear of any suggestions about going forward on the restoration. I've got to have it back to the owner by May 1.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:18 AM

Default Well that's going to be a challenge

It will be interesting to see what is left of the car after you get all the problems removed.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:09 PM

All I can say is I'm feeling pretty good about myself after seeing that repair.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:02 PM

Just watched video.......omg wtf pmsl.
1st May no way

No matter how clever you think you are, stupidity is always one step ahead!!!!
Old 12-21-2014, 02:02 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec 2010, Sept 2015, Jan 2016

Wow, that a lot of sh....t ..Bill

Make a jig where you put the car on so it does not move or twist.

To get the right shape in the rear fenders restore them with bondo, make a flex pattern off off that make a new fender, cut the old one out and weld the new one in.

When the car is on a jig you can remove the sills and restore them as they should be.

etc etc

just my two cents.

Ben
Old 12-21-2014, 03:07 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Wow, that a lot of sh....t ..Bill

just my two cents.

Ben

Ben,
Your "two cents" is worth at least two gold guilders to me!
Old 12-21-2014, 02:46 PM

Default Amazing what you find!

Bill,

There is no lack of shoddy work. I think most collision shops today just do not have the metal craft skills you see presented by the folks on this forum!

I did a 1970 Plymouth Superbird for a friend of mine a while back. Had some bubbling over a rear quarter wheel arch, so thought it was just typical Mopar rust. My friend had the car painted about 12 years earlier and had supplied NOS quarters, so we all thought this was just an small mistake or rust creeping back in. Sent to the paint shop (we just do metal in our shop) and the fun began.

Previous shop had cut the NOS quarter down to be only a skin, brazed in on, banged the weld seam into a valley and filled it with plastic. Paint still looked good 12 years later, save a few bubbles!

Looks like you have the issues figured out and certainly have the skills and desire to repair correctly! I am a big fan and getting the cars on a sturdy jig/table. I built a "frame table"from 3x5 1/4 wall and it has served us very well. Guys in my shop liked it so much, they recently build a second one! We essentially weld the unibody to it while doing the heavy repair work.

Good Luck!!

forming metal for fun.......
UscarTool.com Mild to Wild, We Don't Scare Easy
Old 12-21-2014, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by longyard View Post
... I've got to have it back to the owner by May 1.
What year? If 2015, you're going to be pretty sleep deprived by May 1.

If it were my car, I'd extend the patch panels you have for the car by a couple inches, metal finish the welds, and shape them to the correct profiles. Then you can cut out the old crap above that pathetic weld job and weld it in correctly with TIG or gas. Since I'm not really good at tacking with gas/TIG while holding the metal, I'd either have a helper or tack in place with a MIG and TIG the rest of the seam.

The exterior panels are just work. The rest of them may make you lose your hair.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:01 PM

Gee Wizz, I hope the owner didn't pay those Bastards to wreck his body and new panels for him..................... But I tell you what, that seems to be the trend now for repair shops, as most of the guys that work or labor for them don't possess the skills needed for correct methods of repairs..... Nowa days its all about the money, and what little work can be done for the maximum amount of profit. BIG PROFIT

But!" Yes Bill", I would agree with Kerry, to save time, since you already have the panels, albeit, you have to do a bit off work in cutting and dressing the existing ones. Just extend them, finish and cut the rubbish out where they need to be fitted.
You have a big job ahead cleaning and removing, let alone fabricating. So by doing that would save a lot of stress.
I would think with a keen helper you may be able to knock it off by May, but its a lot of work.
I'm confident you will bring it back to glory after your handy work.

On another note: I would have to disagree with your comments regarding MIG welding for panels in your vid, as I have migged panels for over 20 years I have found they are easy to metal finish (sure, if you don't know how to weld, then all types is going to be difficult) like the example you have shown. I just think that if that's how they welded with Mig, I would hate to see how there Oxy would of turned out.

John
Old 12-22-2014, 06:56 PM

Bill,
1st off I would like to thank you for your books, i have both and like both of them.
I have done cars that bad or worse in the past. Cars so bad mounting them on a rotisserie would of folded them up. I used to work off jack stands but now use a frame table. The ability to have fixtures on the table to hold items securely really makes the job faster and more accurate. I would never go back to the floor again.

I like Kerrys idea of adding on to the replacement panel and then installing that. If the replacement is a good part

Tom
Your 49-51 Ford/Mercury woodie expert