All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-01-2019, 08:37 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Default TM2000 for electric welding, S10-S14

Quote:
Originally Posted by norson View Post
I can identify with the age thing. A lot of information for aluminum welding, what safeguards can you share for steel (gas and tig).

Norm,
I use the same TM Lens for all my gas work, so 4130, 6061, 316, cast iron, and SiBronze all get the same visual nitpick.
For Tig, I do not like the auto-dark lens Sam-I-Am, I do not like green eggs and ham ...
I have been arc-flashed waaay too many times with those @$$%%&&*!! auto-dark $$$$$ friggin' $%&@!!! goddam sumbitch inventions.... so I use my own prototype S10-S12 non-flashy-flicker steadfast arc lens.
(Yes, I am working on making the TM2000 available in S10-S14)
I LOVE my lens .... been using a proto S10 for tiggy and sticky for decades now. ...

( Oh - by the way - Got a S10,S12,S14 proto developed, and tested .... PRIMO ... called my engr back... wife answers .... "he died last week" .... okay- notes? - "No, he kept all in his skull" ... O- my --friggin' - grrrrrrrrrrr.... BACK TO DEVELOPMENT ... sigh .... ... )
soooo ..... Numsy, numsy, love that lens ...... sorry to be selfish ....

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.

Last edited by crystallographic; 02-01-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:55 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

"Human eyes need double the light after age 40.
Double again after age 50.
And again, at age 60.
When you are pushing 70 or 80 you need lighting added to just about everything you do."

Man, am I ever glad to hear that! I will be sure to add that to my 'senior moment' responses (excuses)........

Headed out for eggs and grits, then on down to Jimmy's to move things in his shop make room for his new machine.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo303 View Post
Hello no idea if this is in the right thread so apologies if it isn't. Basically is there anyone selling good quality gas welding goggles/glasses for aluminium that properly eliminate flux flare in the uk. I would love some tm2000 but they are out of my budget especially after postage and taxes. Thanks in advance.
Hi Rob - to get back to your original question - specifically re U.K. requirement and cost issues - I found the solution some time ago and passed detailed to Dave Gardiner who also found them to be totally satisfactory in eliminating flux flare - also meet all U.K./EU safetry standards
See below link -

http://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=9151

"I have not Failed - I've just found 10,000 ways that have not worked" - Thomas Edison
Old 02-02-2019, 06:50 PM

Thanks everyone for the input and advise. Jim thanks for the link I am going with honeywell but in glasses form. I've been gas welding aluminium fine with plastic screen for the last 10 years and vision is still clear through them. But then again I have nothing to compare them with so perhaps ignorance is bliss. Of course I value my eye sight but again 10 years and my eyesight while admittedly is rather poor hasn't deteriorated in that time at all. Please don't think i'm trying to discourage anyone from buying tm2000 though, if so many top fabricators are saying they are the business you cant argue with that.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
We had meniscus blanks made of the TM2000 glass, and then we had them ground on the convex to a +3 diopter. Nice product, with Titmus safety frames.
So we sent the nice new spectacles out for safety testing and all went well until the one inch steel ball dropped from a 50inch height smacked into the lenses and broke 2 out of 5. With that added cost making the product about equal to high-end laser safety glasses, we abandoned that product. Sorry.
o
why do welding lenses need to withstand steel balls dropped from 4 ft?

Are you supposed to be protected from gunfire too?? That would have been a very nice product.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:05 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack View Post
why do welding lenses need to withstand steel balls dropped from 4 ft?

Are you supposed to be protected from gunfire too?? That would have been a very nice product.

The drop-ball test is pretty severe I admit, and I do not know how ANSI derived this standard.

But as I have been told by other manufacturers, the product is safety eyewear, and at this point in my career I now understand that people are inherently pretty unsafe.
So I guess the standard is there for a reason.
(Used to be that welding equipment was registered and approved for safety with the major Fire Departments - Chicago, New York, San Francisco ....)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.