All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Buck Building
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-12-2017, 08:01 AM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Default Elvis' BMW 507: Original Buck: How-To

Also at Stuttgart: Martelleria is a restoration company in Forstern, Germany owned by Martin Deggelmann. It was given the assignment to restore the metal on Elvis Presley's recently discovered BMW 507. It used ORIGINAL BUCKS to remake panels, including this left front fender. The bucks are still owned by BMW and were lent to Martelleria.

I asked Deggelmann to explain the process, and he instructed one of his team members with better English to fill me in. HOWEVER, the team member who spoke to me mostly does 3-D scanning in the company, and is not a metal worker. I therefore SUSPECT some of his answers, and would INVITE COMMENT from those who know more.

According to the person I spoke to, this is the process:

1. Using MOSTLY AN ECKOLD KRAFTFORMER, the shape of the fender is created so that it fits tightly over the buck. NOTE: I questioned how this could be done with the protruding body line which keep the panel at least a 1/2" off the buck.
2. Once the shape is in the panel, the panel is clamped to the buck and using a series of caulking (corking) tools, the bodyline is impressed into the panel. NOTE: The bodyline is make of cast zamak and is screwed into the wooden buck. I ASKED if the casting was removed to first shape the panel and was specifically told "No."
3. I asked how the flat top of the body line was retained during the caulking process, and was told that a series of wood strips were clamped to it as the shape came up which maintained its flatness.
4. I wanted to confirm these answers with Deggelmann, but he was very busy with other people, and I didn't want to appear impolite or ungrateful to the man who answered my questions. HOWEVER: I hope those more familiar with this process will comment. KENT WHITE? MARK SAVORY?

The egg crate buck was made using 3-D scanning and CNC cutting, and is covered in fiberglass so that details can be caulked/corked in. DRAT! I forget what car it is for, but know that it was for a competition car wrecked in the 1950/60s which needed a nose in the original configuration to replace a bad repair. I think it was English.

MOST WORK ON BOTH CARS DONE ON AN ECKOLD!

IMG_8625.JPG

IMG_8621.jpg

IMG_8622.jpg

IMG_8623.jpg

IMG_8624.jpg

IMG_8626.jpg

IMG_8665.jpg

IMG_8666.jpg

IMG_8667.jpg

IMG_8668.jpg

IMG_8627.jpg

IMG_8628.jpg

IMG_8629.jpg

IMG_8611.jpg

IMG_8605.jpg

IMG_8606.JPG

IMG_8607.JPG

IMG_8610.JPG

IMG_8609.jpg

IMG_8608.jpg
Old 03-12-2017, 10:35 AM

Default Looks like a Lister

The last few photos of buck egg crate is a lister. They first came with jaguar engines and then they stuffed big blocks (chevy) into em, ergo chevy-lister. It looks like this is a chevy one with the big raised scoop.

Nice photographs, thank you for sharing.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:14 PM

Hans,
Yes, now that you've jogged my memory, I was told it was a Chevy powered Lister.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:47 PM

Bill, thanks for the wonderful photos!
Old 03-12-2017, 02:01 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglefordracer View Post
The last few photos of buck egg crate is a lister. They first came with jaguar engines and then they stuffed big blocks (chevy) into em, ergo chevy-lister. It looks like this is a chevy one with the big raised scoop.

Nice photographs, thank you for sharing.
Big block Lister = fearsome-looking racer, to my eyes .... loved them at Monterey over the years.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:05 PM

What show where all these at? I was in Stuttgart often for my last job and would have loved to stop and see this show if it was annually.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:14 PM
Member MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2013

The only 507 I ever saw was on the road coming out of the little town I lived in down on the Chesapeake Bay in Virginia. I was driving a 4.2 litre E Type Jag (the fastest E-Types ever made). The 507 was getting it on, so I figured I would give him some dust to eat. When you're going about sixty in a Jag and you put the pedal to the medal, fantastic things happen. It's not many seconds before you're going a hundred and fifty. Last I saw of the 507.

I must say they are the only beautiful car BMW has ever made. The post-war Germans seem to specialize in homely cars.

Richard

When I die heaven can wait, I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

My sculpture web page http://www.fantaciworks.com
Old 03-12-2017, 08:02 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard-S View Post
The only 507 I ever saw was on the road coming out of the little town I lived in down on the Chesapeake Bay in Virginia. I was driving a 4.2 litre E Type Jag (the fastest E-Types ever made). The 507 was getting it on, so I figured I would give him some dust to eat. When you're going about sixty in a Jag and you put the pedal to the medal, fantastic things happen. It's not many seconds before you're going a hundred and fifty. Last I saw of the 507.

I must say they are the only beautiful car BMW has ever made. The post-war Germans seem to specialize in homely cars.

Richard
The 507 was designed by the same feller who designed the 240Z, fwiw....
The mechanically-selected supercharger made the 507 a bit faster, but the little 3.1L 8v 140hp motor had aluminum parts, iirc, and not developed for "racing." It's tough to lose a war and keep making cars ..... few car makers came out with a 2L V12 right after WW2.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidpaint View Post
What show where all these at? I was in Stuttgart often for my last job and would have loved to stop and see this show if it was annually.

It's Europe's largest classic car show held annually at the expo center at the Stuttgart airport. It's called Retro Classics.

Although it is a large show and was very good, I believe the annual Essen show, coming up next month, is a better show. It has a larger assembly of high-value cars.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:14 PM
Member MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2013

Quote:
It's tough to lose a war and keep making cars
I wonder what happened. The Italians lost the same war and yet afterwards they produced what I say are the most beautiful cars ever made. Some of those Scagglieti Ferraris are as close to perfection as is possible to come.

When I die heaven can wait, I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

My sculpture web page http://www.fantaciworks.com