All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-22-2017, 03:24 AM

Question I got a scholarship to travel the world to learn more coachbuilding. NEED HELP

Hi everyone my name is Kip i am a young panelbeater in australia i was recently awarded a winston churchill fellowship which is a form of scholarship that anyone in australia can apply for in absolutely any field of interest.

i tailored my fellowship to go and learn more coachbuilding and metalshping for in USA UK and ITALY

my proposed dates for travel are

USA AUGUST 14 - SEPTEMBER 6
UK SEPTEMEBER 6 - 29
ITALY SEPTEMBER 29 - 20

I have made contact with a few key workshops to spend a week learning as much as possible with

but was just wondering if anyone would be able to point me in the direction of the best coachbuilders these 3 countries have to offer

also i would love to know if anyone know of any coachbuilders in italy with a a little bit of english so i can understand everything they are saying to me hahah

im super excited as ive never been overseas before and my first weekend will be pebble beach and also goodwood revival in the uk and jay leno has said he will take me to see all of his collection!!

thank you in advance for any help
Old 05-22-2017, 06:44 AM

Contact Mark Nugent, he did the same as you years ago I think.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag2be View Post
Contact Mark Nugent, he did the same as you years ago I think.
yea he did hes the only other person to do one for this industry,,,,but please dont go thinking i have anywhere near the talent of him thats for sure haha
Old 05-22-2017, 07:52 AM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Jamie Downie in Melbourne did the same thing. If I had the opportunity to study outside of Oz, I'd put on the list:

www.mphmotorpanels.com in England (traditional English wheel instruction)

www.yocumsrodshop.com in the US (east coast) (Power hammer instruction)

www.tinmantech.com in the US (west coast) (VAST variety of metal skills including planishing, brazing, and much more.)
Old 05-22-2017, 09:21 AM
MetalShaper of the Month August '15 Jan '17 Dec'17 Aug'19

Wray Schelin , Charlton MA www.proshaper.com
Old 05-22-2017, 10:23 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

So that I won't step on toes, I won't name names, suggest, promote or denigrate- this is my professional opinion using my personal experiences outside of metal to provide an analogous metaphor

As a formally apprenticed culinary/chef (early-mid 90's) and then formally apprenticed granite industry sculptor(2000-03), I worked hard to achieve what I have done. I traveled thousands of miles on my own across the eastern USA to work for and with the best. I did not go to Culinary School but I was recruited to develop and teach new programs. Then, based upon a prior immediate layoff from one of those culinary programs, I was fortunate to receive job training sponsorship for part of my wages during the first part of my granite apprenticeship. This was key to my Master Sculptor's ability to employ me at required union rates in a closed shop town. I progressed quickly enough as a sculptor to be resolving work my Master Sculptor could not fix within 3 yrs of starting, which led to a prompt lay off just as I was warned would happen when "you get to be as good as the boss"..... So it was "off with your head" just like he had warned me.

Until late last year, I had never paid for any skills/craft classes other than regular college, where I earned a BS Degree in Psychology with a focus on Industrial/Organizational and Behavioral perspectives. How you learn is as important as what you learn. I learned to be paid to learn/work/improve and to learn in a situation where my income and continued participation was based upon my performance. Masters work. Teachers teach. Follow the money. When I went to work, I worked to be paid to learn. What is your priority- money, money and craft or craft? What do you want to be? Choose your Masters and your inspiration carefully.

Moving forward in your position, the people I would seek out are not necessarily the ones on the advertised educational circuit. I would pursue working shops with Masters that will tolerate (and hopefully teach) you over those that spend significant time doing otherwise, because that's how I did it. I was able to achieve employment in very significant positions because I prepared myself to work productively in them. I have now had my own studio for 14 yrs, making everything except money.... I could probably make more money selling romance and duplicates like most do than selling only original, completed sculpture. It is a choice I make because I am striving to keep this craft and my family heritage genuine, viable and alive for another generation. My operations are different than others.

Enjoy your travels. No fancy metal shop here, but if you are in the South Carolina area between Atlanta Georgia and Charlotte North Carolina, feel welcome to stop by. There's some nice old fashioned granite sculpture projects here that should hopefully be wrapping up around late summer early fall. Call or email anytime.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:06 PM

I agree 100% with Clifford, I would say Mike Kleeves at Automobile Metal Shaping here in Michigan is the best in the US by far, but I've heard he's hard to get ahold of and doesn't teach classes. I can't think of anyone to recommend , but best of luck with your travels Kip!
Old 05-23-2017, 11:13 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Hi Kip welcome to the forum. Winning a scholarship is not easy ,you have done well......... congratulations
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 05-23-2017, 11:37 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
Hi everyone my name is Kip i am a young panelbeater in australia i was recently awarded a winston churchill fellowship which is a form of scholarship that anyone in australia can apply for in absolutely any field of interest.

i tailored my fellowship to go and learn more coachbuilding and metalshping for in USA UK and ITALY
Hi Kip,
If I were in your place I would go directly to Bernhard, in Austria.
http://allmetalshaping.com/showthrea...=touringgarage

His projects are very well planned out and he delivers very nice work.
He posts here every so often so you can search "Touringgarage" and find the jobs he has shown.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.