All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Miscellanous products related to metalshaping
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Atlas made lathes under their name and the exact same lathe for Sears which was sold under the Craftsman name. I have a buddy with that exact lathe. As previously stated, it is a hobbyist lathe but it will make chips and if you are patient you can do a lot with it.

Make sure you check ALL the nearby drawers and such for things that are compatible. The seller won't necessarily know what goes with it. There should be a bunch of gears as Joe stated as well as at least a few more tool holders. When in doubt, assume it goes with the lathe.

Btw, my first lathe was a Craftsman 209 series, about 1/2 the size of that model with only a 1/4 HP motor. Now THAT was a hobby lathe!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:52 PM
MetalShaper of the month 07-12

The brake isn't a press brake like you might picture one. It actually has folding leafs (the two angles) that wrap up around the moving leaf. The moving leaf comes down on a stationary bar that resides between the folding leaves. Then you operate one or both of the folding leafs.

There's one at my old work place, although I never seen it in use. I used to have some detail pictures of it. It's called a Lake Erie Form All. 48" was the biggest I ever heard of for them. If I recall correctly, you can fold both leafs up around the moving leaf. Ours had some extra leafs for changing the bend radius. I do know of guys there who did use it and it was used for bending aluminum. Not that it won't work for steel.

You certainly don't see them often, but they're around. I actually started to design one in 3D a few years ago, but ran into a 12 gauge finger brake and brought it home, then quit on the design. If you look at the above picture closely, you and see the four counter weights. One at each end of the two folding leafs. They are designed to bypass one another in use.

Last edited by Bob; 07-08-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:49 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

It almost looks like it would require 2 people to use the machine.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:27 AM
MetalShaper of the Month July 2013, Feb 2018

lathes.co.uk has enormous amounts of info on lathes.
Here's a link to their Atlas pages: http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/index.html

Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 AM
MetalShaper of the month 07-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobadame View Post
It almost looks like it would require 2 people to use the machine.
I had the same thought, but my buddy who has used it said he used it alone. I think the moving leaf locks down pretty good and clamps the piece solid.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 PM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2016

I don't think it does based on the picture, but one thing to watch out for on Atlas lathes are the spindle bearings. Some of the older unis had babbit bearings, which need to be "poured" and machined in place if they are worn out.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:08 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan. 2011, Nov. 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRodDoc View Post
Jeff, This is what was meant as the quick change. (circled in orange)

Attachment 22519
My lathe has that quick change you are showing. This is the quick change tool post I was talking about

I had to shim it up to make it work on my small lathe but it works great. Thats not the main point I wanted to make when I made the post though. The point I wanted to make is you can make most dies for a bead roller or a planishing hammer just feeding by hand and finishing with a file and-or a grinder.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyce View Post
The point I wanted to make is you can make most dies for a bead roller or a planishing hammer just feeding by hand and finishing with a file and-or a grinder.
Jeff, great point. Also, if making dies for beading and planishing is the lathe's primary use, then accuracy is of far less concern. Worn bed ways, loose headstock bearings, and off-center 3 jaw chucks will still make relatively round parts. Before I aquired my Leblond, I made some acceptable planishing dies by welding 1 1/2" dia slugs onto bolts, chucking it into a hand held drill, and spinning it against a belt sander. Even a very worn lathe would have done much better.

Ian, here's a place to learn some terms and a good primer on lathe operation, it's also fairly contemporary to the lathe you posted above:

http://campkahler.com/files/How_to_R...he_SB_1of2.pdf

Last edited by weldtoride; 07-10-2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: sp