All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-16-2009, 11:48 PM

Default Interior pics

A new look at an old dent

49 gmc 068.jpg

49 gmc 069.jpg
Old 09-17-2009, 01:44 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan. 2011, Nov. 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlile View Post
wow That's a good lookin' dent.
It can be repaired, just how much time are yo willing to put into it? You might have to start with a porta power (slowly....ask the metal to move) with a large suface area "head". You might make one out of oak that is close to the right shape. You wouldn't try for the final shape, just get close.

I like this answer... I would start out by making a sweep to get the contour of the damaged area. You can get the surface information from the other side. Then I would make two or three pusher pads to match. You can put a small amout of pressure on the pads to push, and support the panel. You may not have to shrink much if you are carefull pushing it out and take it slow. If you don't have a portapower you can set up a jack of some sort. It looks like a nice truck!! Nice score....
Jeff
Old 09-17-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyce View Post
I like this answer... I would start out by making a sweep to get the contour of the damaged area. You can get the surface information from the other side. Then I would make two or three pusher pads to match. You can put a small amout of pressure on the pads to push, and support the panel. You may not have to shrink much if you are carefull pushing it out and take it slow. If you don't have a portapower you can set up a jack of some sort. It looks like a nice truck!! Nice score....
Jeff
That's how we would do it on the frame rack in a collision shop. Just like hammer off dolly work, push on the low and relieve the stress in the metal by tapping (hitting with the appropriate hammer) on the highs as you go.

Page one of the on dolly, off dolly discussion has some great drawings of this.

C
hris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

Old 09-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

If you remove the window, you should be able to reach most the dent. A helper holding the dolly (and wearing ear protection) can be a great help also.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:18 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Th eadvice from doyce about making a sweep is a good idea.

If you look at the photo that you posted you can see that the frame inside the body is damaged. simply pushing the roof out will not straighten this. With any dent you should look at the damage and try to remove it in reverse order.

I think you will need to use the portapack to push the two structural sections each side of the window away from each other. At the same time you need to dress out the secondary damage and then the primary damage which by this time should be a lot less. It goes without saying that the window will need to be removed, you may need to remove the structural sections above the window as well and also the drip rail may have to be removes at a later stage to allow you to dress the area fully.

Secondary damage is the damage around the dent that is caused by the metal being pulled by the dent and the primary damage is the point of impact.

The secondary damage will probably come out by dressing on any peaks and holding a suitable dolly under low areas, this is a fairly good dent so a reasonable force will be needed.

The primary damage will need to be bumped out from the inside using a dolly once again. You will need to use reasonably hard blows but dont be over zealous.

Using the portapower to 'open up' the dent as you dress out the damage will prevent the dent from becoming a 'tuck' and shrinking into itself and therefore locking all the damage in the panel.

David

All things are possible.

Last edited by David Gardiner; 09-17-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:29 PM

Man this is great ! All these replies good stuff !
I will pull the window and weld up a patch after I get the dent handled. I will go slow and try my best not to screw it up worse. In case I need to be bailed out I hope not.
I am pleased that so many think its fixable.
O.K. tell me when everyone can come over and I'll be sure to order enough hot wings and pizza, soda or beer ! Just so you all can watch and make sure I am doing it right.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:50 PM

Better yet. Get it stripped down and bring it to the Metal Meet in Oblong!

Where do you live?

C
hris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

Old 09-17-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARS View Post
Better yet. Get it stripped down and bring it to the Metal Meet in Oblong!

Where do you live?
Good idea ! Actually I was days away from signing up for a class at a "former" All MetalShaping member not too far from me. And I have since changed my mind.
I did get an invite from another member here to show me a thing or two which I hope to take advantage of.
Probably should do that before I start pounding.
I have pounded out dents before but it was get it close enough to bondo type work. I want a little better than that for this rig.

I am in Puyallup Washington. Wheres Oblong ?

Last edited by nonhog; 09-17-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonhog View Post
I did get an invite from another member here to show me a thing or two which I hope to take advantage of.
Probably should do that before I start pounding.
Yes you should. Seeing someone who knows what they are doing is one of the greatest things to witness. I can also be very frustrating till you master what you just saw .

Quote:
.....Wheres Oblong ?
I think it's in Indiana (or somewhere in the middle of the country) I would link you to the thread on MM, but that site must be going through some renovation.

C
hris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

Old 09-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
...Wheres Oblong ?
Oblong Il, Is about halfway between St Louis and Indy. Week long metal shaping geekfest October 13-18. Costs $100 for a day or the whole time. Rooms and food are cheap and you can spend 16 hours a day working/playing/talking metal shaping on a variety of projects. It's held at the local fairgrounds. When MetalMeet comes back up, you can look at some write ups from past events.

Several folks from the NW frequently attend but may or may not be coming this year. Larry Robinson, Butch Duke, Peter Miles are some who come to mind.