All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-17-2015, 05:44 PM

Default Be careful of your medicines!

Be careful of your prescription's!

I have always battled depression and panic attacks in my life. Most of the time
I could keep it in check, but the last few months, it got the best of me........
I had a prescription for a medicine that was supposed to help, but it didn't
seem to be working, so my doctor upped the dose........
He upped it so far, that I turned into a zombie hiding in the corner.
I couldn't do anything. I now had so much fear I just hid from the world!

The last 4 months are a blur. I don't know what happened, or what I did!
I went back to the doctor for a check-up, he took one look at me and knew
right then, that something was wrong! He took me off all of my medicines
and said I needed 2 weeks to get all of the med's out of my body, then we'll see.

I'm starting to feel normal again, and will try to pick up the pieces of my life.

So be careful of your medicines, I just found out the hard way that they can hurt
you as much as they can help you!
Old 08-17-2015, 05:53 PM

Sorry to hear the problems you have had with medications, i have had similar problems with them so i know exactly how feel, and won't touch them as a result. Congratulations on being one of the few people prepared to admit to mental health issue and educate others as to just what taking an antidepressant can do to you.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:18 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Jeffrey, I also want to thank you for sharing. We have too many doctors prescribing too many pills in this country. A pharmacist friend of mine tells me that over 90% of prescriptions now are for psychotropic drugs and that most of them do more harm than good.

Depression... many people live with it, go through life with it. OFTEN "depression" is confused with "death anxiety." "Death anxiety" is common, but it affects people to a greater, or lesser, degree depending on age. Churchill called it his "black dog" and lived with it all his life. Shakespeare wrote 38 plays about it, and Bruce Springsteen has created a body of work centered on it that, to my mind, is the best poetry ever written by an American.

I often think of this line from Springsteen: "Life ain't nothin' but a cold, hard ride, but I ain't leavin' till I'm satisfied."

Whenever the black dog nips at my heels I listen to some Bruce, or read some Shakespeare. Cheaper, and healthier, than taking pills.

Best wishes.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:54 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2018, Jan. 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot rivet View Post
Sorry to hear the problems you have had with medications, i have had similar problems with them so i know exactly how feel, and won't touch them as a result. Congratulations on being one of the few people prepared to admit to mental health issue and educate others as to just what taking an antidepressant can do to you.
Just replied to Jeffrey on the other forum.

As an insurance broker (Life, Medical and Disability) we help manage many claims for cases of depression and understand how completely debilitating and prolonged the illness can be.

Agree Paul, sometimes the meds can be a total hindrance. We have seen where they can be helpful in arresting the freefall, but can be overprescribed in my view and experience.

Sometimes its just something simple which is the trigger and a talk with a mate, some light exercise and a simple project to focus on, can be just as therapeutic as a bunch of chemicals. First step is actually putting you hand up and having the strength to say that there is a problem.

Well done guys.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:55 PM

Good to hear you are doing better. I had a friend that battled depression and took his own life. Life is hard and the sins we do and that are done to us is very difficult to deal with. I failed to tell him the good news and see the signs of severe depression. There is hope. God came as a man and took the full punishment of ours sins so that we would be guiltless. Ask Jesus Christ to forgive you of all your sins and he will give you a eternal hope.

Randy
Old 08-17-2015, 10:30 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Amen on the medication warning.
An old friend jst went through four years of mis-diagnosis. So deeply lost in the mental swamps, but he is coming around, getting back to doing his beautiful wood furniture again.

Bless your heart and soul, that your strength and health return again.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:33 PM

Jeffrey,

Now that you are feeling better, could you please contact Peter as soon as possible, he has been trying to reach you through the forums, by email and Phone for the last 3 or 4 months.

Ken
Old 08-18-2015, 06:15 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2019

good to hear your getting back to normal jeffrey
Old 08-18-2015, 06:45 AM

It's great to hear your back, Jeff.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:05 AM

Jeffery,

I wish you well.

I have struggled with depression as well. It is not a disease that comes one day and then is simply healed. I too succumbed to the medication routine. For some it works well. For me it did not help but made matters worse for several years.

Many will offer their cure. That's good. People want to help. Talk with those people; contact and telling your story is the beginning of helping yourself make the days a little brighter and the nights a bit shorter.

A fellow shaper, Ray Rodman, reached out to me. I'll be forever grateful to him. Other members of these forums kept in touch with me too. Contact is very important in these times.

For me a therapist and several years of visits were on my recovery road. You will need to persevere and find what works for you. That takes effort when effort is hard to muster. I encourage you to continue to seek help.

Suicide is also hiding in the depressed mind. Be careful of it. It is frightening. The metalshaping groups have lost Tool&Die Guy and Emil the Spy to suicide. They are missed very much. When one loses all hope for tomorrow, death strangely becomes an option.

As mentioned, lean on your friends. Even though all seems hopeless, your friends still love you. If they seem to avoid you, it is only because they too are at a loss as to what to do. Please ask for help as you have done by this post. They'll be glad you reached out to them.

Although it may feel dark on many days, you are not alone. Friends and loved ones care for you.

Our prayers go out to you,
Richard

Last edited by Richard K; 08-18-2015 at 05:50 PM.