All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard66 View Post
Wow Kerry, It's getting Really close! Are you getting antsy yet?
It's not as close as it looks but yes, I'm getting antsy...very antsy.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Metalshaper of the Month, May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post

Got word today that Jaypags and Ron Yeager are coming to Oblong. Jay expressed an interest in working on the roadster. Since Jay works at Warp Factor 7, he'll probably have the fenders ready for paint by the 3rd day.
You can say that again! He's a madman!! Glad to hear he'll be there.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Joe Hartson's son Bill was in town last night and came by for a nice visit.

Got up about 6 and made some more progress....I'm in the zone

When I did the other side, I think it was done in 4 pieces but I was winging it. I wanted to try this in two. I made a flexible shape pattern when Joe and Grant were here last month. The outside corner was relatively easy as reverses go. The reverse is small so of course I over did it and had to undo some work and sneak up on it. Took about an hour to shape.

Name:  LeftFrontLower1.jpg
Views: 3781
Size:  19.1 KB

I screwed it to the fender with self tapping screws to ensure it wouldn't move around while I was fitting the other side.

Name:  LeftFrontLower2.jpg
Views: 3600
Size:  24.1 KB

The inside part was a changing radius reverse and it kicked my butt. The flexible shape pattern showed a lot of stretch on one side but as it started getting thin, I decided to shrink in other places. By the time I had it dialed in, a couple hours had passed. I probably could have done it in 2 pieces in half the time.

Name:  LeftFrontLower3.jpg
Views: 3512
Size:  20.9 KB

Name:  LeftFrontLower4.jpg
Views: 3481
Size:  21.1 KB

It fit really nicely though.

Name:  LeftFrontLower5.jpg
Views: 3446
Size:  18.3 KB

By early afternoon it was welded in and the lower edge tipped. I carefully measured and compared the profile side to side and am satisfied it's symetrical.

Name:  LeftFrontLower7.jpg
Views: 3455
Size:  21.6 KB

Took some time to dress the welds a bit because I could get to the back side while on the car unlike the rear fenders which will have to come off to get finished.

Name:  LeftFrontLower6.jpg
Views: 3460
Size:  20.9 KB

It was a pretty day and all the sheet metal was hung and stable so I thought I'd go for a drive. Only problem is the motor won't stay running. I haven't started it much in the past year and I guess the carb is gummed up. As soon as it drops to idle RPM it dies. Also vacuum is low and I'm a bit puzzled by that because it was fine last year. I don't need this!

I still haven't isolated all the vacuum lines and I'm hoping it's a leaky power brake booster (although it's new also). I don't rebuild carbs so if that's the problem it won't be running at Oblong unless someone wants to volunteer to go throught it. Its a 500 CFM Edelbrock.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Administrator

There real easy to work on Kerry,you don't even have to un-bolt it from the manifold.Take the screws out of the top plate and make sure the needle valves are not sticking.that's what it sounds like to me.Just be careful not to rip the gasket.Also check the jets,make sure they are not gummed up.

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:22 PM

Kerry, nice to finally meet you and thanks for the hospitality and the shop tour. I am even more impressed with the work on the car after seeing it in person. Hopefully I'll get to see it another time when some hammers are tapping I need to learn a bunch.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Lots of little things getting done while I'm making a list of what I need to take to Oblong.

I did a little work on door gaps

Name:  Doorgap1.jpg
Views: 3427
Size:  40.4 KB

Name:  Doorgap3.jpg
Views: 3393
Size:  30.8 KB

I also closed in the door top.

Name:  Doorgap2.jpg
Views: 3394
Size:  23.6 KB

Then I re-discovered something that I knew full well. You DON'T do door gaps unless the car is on the suspension.

Of course, everything moved and will need re-tweeking. CRAP! I knew better.

Oh well. I decided to add a couple pieces to the bottom of the rear fenders. These were nearly flat and will bolt into the trunk support to finish off the bottom.

I've never welded upside down before but it was suprisingly easy considering I couldn't see because of the trifocals.

Name:  Bottom.jpg
Views: 3500
Size:  49.2 KB

Also got the left rear inner fender installed. Grant roughed this out when he was here last month and I only had to tweek and trim.

Name:  LeftRearInner1.jpg
Views: 3502
Size:  47.8 KB

Ok, time for some fun stuff. Alabama law requires the center of the headlights to be at least 24" off the ground and the taillights need to be 21".

It's been raining for 4 days (5" in the rain guage) so taking the car out wasn't an option. I know the car settles when driven so I estimated where the 24" mark is and mocked up this:

Name:  Headlight1.jpg
Views: 3399
Size:  25.1 KB

I'd like them to be a bit lower. The top of the headlight ring is a straight line back to the bottom of the dip in the fender. It'd be nice if the headlight was down an inch or so the headlight flair could have a nice downward arch as it comes over the top of the fender dip. Once I can drive the car, I'll do a final measurement and see where it has to be.

This is a prototype. I made a paper pattern, cut out the aluminum and did the gokart slick bit to get the curve. It's a simple roll. This took 10 minutes from paper to photo.

Name:  Headlight2.jpg
Views: 3360
Size:  42.1 KB

Obviously there will be a transition out to the fender.

Name:  Headlight3.jpg
Views: 3425
Size:  42.7 KB

I squeezed it flat and tipped the edge in the break then had at it with the kick shrinker. 5 minutes tops.

Name:  Headlight4.jpg
Views: 3390
Size:  28.0 KB

Here it is taped to the ring. There will be an outward flair that is cut into the fender. That will be as complex as this part was simple.

Name:  Headlight5.jpg
Views: 3426
Size:  25.4 KB

Other side view.

Name:  Headlight6.jpg
Views: 3476
Size:  24.6 KB

I'm using some headlight components and rings that I got from Dutch Comstock. They're off an Ford truck of the 40's I think. The inner bucket will bolt to the flange I shrunk and since the fender will be cut out, there will be plenty of room. Also the inner fender panel will protect the bottom of the headlight area.

Again, I think I like this but if I can drop them down a bit and make the headlight flair a bit of a downward swoop it will have a better look.

Also been thinking about the grill. At Oblong last year, we drew the oval you can see. It's OK but doesn't move me. Another option might be the more rectangular lines. Sides parallel and the top arch matches the nose top and the bottom will match the chin. Probably have vertical stainless bars. Still thinking and will probably wait until the headlights are done and do some modeling with blue tape. Mark "Superleggera" Savory told me that the grill shape can make or break the car and I agree.

Name:  Headlight1.jpg
Views: 3399
Size:  25.1 KB

I've also decided to have a two piece hood with center hinges. Long story that I'll get into later but it's the best way given some constraints I have.

Still have a lot to do and managed to tweek my knee so I'm hobbling around like an old man....oh wait...I am an old man!

This rain has been a real hinderance. Fortunately, I pulled the box trailer out of the woods last week and parked it by the shop. Last night I switched it over to my GMC and checked the lights. Today, I was going to move it and the positrack on the GMC just spun the tires at idle. So I got the tractor and hooked it to the front of the GMC. Yep, it spun to. The wife is loving all the ruts in the yard!

About that time it started to pour so I gave it up. While it was raining I had a brainstorm and disconnected the GMC and was able to pull it out of the way with the tractor. My forklift was on the concrete and I was able to pick the trailer tongue up with a trailer ball on the forks and move it out of the way. The yard was so muddy I ended up pulling the GMC all the way to the concrete driveway before it would move. Of course, both rear tires were a total ball of slick mud which was the majority problem.

Anyway, all that's over and the trailer is cleaned out. I mounted a winch in it so I can pull the roadster in instead of driving it in. Should be a lot less stressful.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Administrator

When I first 'designed' this car, I envisioned retractable headlights similar to the Cords and Graham Hollywoods. They had a little crank on each side that you spun to lift the headlight.

Relatively complex mechanism however and one I haven't bothered to figure out how to build.

It's not too late but time is short.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:35 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
When I first 'designed' this car, I envisioned retractable headlights similar to the Cords and Graham Hollywoods. They had a little crank on each side that you spun to lift the headlight.

Relatively complex mechanism however and one I haven't bothered to figure out how to build.

It's not too late but time is short.
I prefer the look of the "eyes" on the car.

With the retractable lights , this is lost.

Looking good Kerry. Can't wait to see it next week.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 10-07-2009, 09:49 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan. 2010

Kerry, if you haven't yet welded the lights in place; I would see how they would look dropped down about half the dia of the lights (looks about 4in).

I ....I think that it might give the car more of a vintage Jag look....Little less like a kid with glasses....
Old 10-07-2009, 09:50 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan. 2010

oops reread your post and I think you see it too