All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Resources
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-29-2014, 10:42 PM

The Autofuturist.org web site is down. What a sad end to an awesome book series. Sure leaves a lot of question about book 5 and 6, if there is a way to help finish books or refunds.

Randy Tait
Old 06-05-2014, 07:04 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

News from the Barton Family: (at last)

I spoke to Debbie recently, the daughter. She says that Tim's wife, her mom, has been moved to a care facility which makes it easier on all of them. She is very sorry for the length of time it is taking to resolve all of the orders for books not shipped, but caring for Mom took all of her energy.

Debbie tells me that her daughter will be handling the task of reconciling the orders and handling the refunds - after her job as school nurse ends for the summer break.

I told her that everyone has been extremely patient with this, and that everyone will be very happy when things start moving again. Debbie said that I would be hearing back soon.

So, that's all the news I have for now,

Thank you all for your kind patience,

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:16 PM

Family should always come first. Just my humbled opinion.
Thanks for letting us know Kent.
Butch Duke
Old 06-05-2014, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Kent, thanks for the update. Really appreciate your efforts with this matter.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:50 AM

Kent,

Many thanks for relaying the information and it's good to hear that the family are finding their way through Tim's untimely passing.

Any update is welcome in these difficult circumstances, thanks again.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:03 PM

If possible I'm sure that many of us would prefer to get the as yet unreceived books/DVD instead of a refund. I'd much rather have the information, and if Tim got the books ready to print it seems like going ahead and doing that could be a win-win situation -- books into people's hands and money into his estate.

cheers,
Michael
Old 06-09-2014, 09:59 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Moore View Post
If possible I'm sure that many of us would prefer to get the as yet unreceived books/DVD instead of a refund. I'd much rather have the information, and if Tim got the books ready to print it seems like going ahead and doing that could be a win-win situation -- books into people's hands and money into his estate.

cheers,
Michael
Hi Michael, and others,

Thank you all for your patience and understanding with Tim's family. As far as we know book 6 is compiled and was ready to be sent to publishing or was already sent to publishing, but no mention has been made of a book 6 being boxed and delivered, although book 5 (and previous editions) are sitting in boxes in storage now.

I think all of us would want the books out on the market, so that is definitely a priority, although some may want refunds until things take a defining departure in that direction. In fact, Tim's family have expressed interest in having the book business continue on, although there is much ahead before that becomes tangible. We do not have any conclusive information on book 7 or the dvd, but some people familiar with publishing, writing, and marketing have offered to help finish Tim's work, so there is hopeful help on tap.

Kind regards,

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:54 PM

Kent, that is encouraging. Thanks for your continuing efforts!

I don't know about other people but to me that money has been gone for a year or two (or is it longer now?) and the portion for the outstanding books/DVD doesn't concern me much. If they give some reasonable-sounding assurances that the remaining books will some day show up at my door in the not too distant future, especially if they also extend the customers the courtesy of a brief quarterly update on their progress in getting the books out, I'm happy to wait for the books. I don't want a refund, I want the books because I'm sure there will be lots more very interesting material in them that I want to read.

I suspect that the biggest gripe people have is not knowing what is happening. Dead-silence or responses that sound evasive (even if they aren't meant that way) tend to trigger alarm bells since those are common tactics used by scammers.

In this modern age it should take only minutes to blast out an update email to all the people who sent money to Tim. If they are having issues that are slowing things down, just let me know and my concerns are damped down for several more months. I think Tim sent out a few "things are being delayed" emails so they should have the distribution list sitting in a computer ready to send out an update.

If I order something through Amazon it seems like every time I look at my email there's some sort of update -- you placed an order, the order is being processed, the item is ready to ship, the item has shipped and here's the tracking info, did you receive the item and are you happy with it? etc etc. A brief note every 8-12 weeks would probably keep everyone reasonably happy and sending it should have a minimal impact on Tim's family.

cheers,
Michael
Old 06-10-2014, 12:41 AM

Kent,

Thanks for your efforts!
Nice to hear news about the books.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:29 PM

Default tim barton books

thanks michael for directing me here i was a bit lost when i checked for an up date on the books after reading some of the posts all i can say is it does take time settling an estate im going on 2 1/2 years trying to settle my father in laws affairs and there isnt anyone fighting the probate the first 4 books were worth the money spent for the full set so to tims family my prayers go out to you RIP TIM ED