All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Miscellanous products related to metalshaping
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-21-2014, 12:54 AM

Default Hammers & Dollies sale at HF

HF has a 1/2 price sale on a 7 pc combo of hammers and dollies for $29.95. Might be a good starter, of interest to a newby.

FWIW,

mjb
Old 09-21-2014, 01:17 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Marc have got any pics of the tools in question? are they US made or else where?
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 09-21-2014, 09:36 AM

I bought that set years ago just to have some shapes to rough out metal. They are made in China and not very hard......but for working steel seem to be ok and can be cleaned up easily or re shaped. For planishing work I bought cheap HF drilling hammers at about a 2 lb weight and cut off the handle. They are harder and the extra weight helps planishing. Do have some Martin dollies and they are a pleasure to use....but for a beginner....practice is the key.
George

If you are afraid to fail, you will never learn
Old 09-21-2014, 01:30 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Those Asian 7 piece sets are available at almost any swap meet in the country for $12.95 to $22.95. THEY ARE ABSOLUTE JUNK…… do yourself a large favor and LEAVE THEM RIGHT WHERE YOU FIND THEM. They are too small (possibly made for more petite Asian workers), too light, too soft (because they are cast, not forged) and the handles are more round than oval. I can not recommend them even for a beginner, it would be like a death sentence to remain a beginner for life. Excellent tools are not going to make a beginner an expert but junk tools like those 7 piece sets will hold him back forever IMO. ~ John Buchtenkirch

Last edited by John Buchtenkirch; 09-21-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:21 PM
Member MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2013

I bought a set years ago and have used them a lot for jobs I would not dare subject my good hammers and dollies to. And I lucked up and one of the dollies was a good shape and i made it into a post dolly and it has held up. Who knows why?

Richard

When I die heaven can wait, I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

My sculpture web page http://www.fantaciworks.com
Old 09-21-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard-S View Post
I bought a set years ago and have used them a lot for jobs I would not dare subject my good hammers and dollies to. And I lucked up and one of the dollies was a good shape and i made it into a post dolly and it has held up. Who knows why?

Richard
Probably not even the people who made them,

Some days, no matter how hard you try to screw up, you just can't do it.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:00 PM

Default Feel and Balance

There is so much to be said about feel and balance in any hammer, because of the repetitive nature of how you strike with it.

I was a shop teacher by trade 3/4 of the year, I earned another 1/4 year's income during summers as a carpenter swinging various weight claw hammers all day long. In my retirement I still swing claw hammers.

I agree with everyone above who says a cheap hammer is not worth anything, and may even be counter-productive.

It amazes me that the guys knocking them off overseas still haven't caught on to at least copying a well balanced hammer head with good weight distribution, handle length, cross section, etc. In other words, at least sell a good copy but with bad (worthless) metallurgy! Instead they offer a very poor ergonomic copy and with bad metallurgy. I suspect they are copying the same 25 year old bad Taiwanese copy of a body set, thinking they are knocking off something good.

Since I earn money with my carpenters' hammers I buy high quality brand new. Lots of innovation in the last decade, trick alloy heads, ergonomic handles, etc.

For my body tools, which is a hobby at this point, I buy high quality used and have accumulated a large collection over time, 3/4 of them I purchased without handles for $5 or less.

While lots of hammers is an end-goal for so many, you only need one hammer to start banging with. Brand new high quality hammers start at $29: http://www.tptools.com/Martin-Body-H...d-Dollies.html.

Personally, and others may differ with me: I would suffer an inferior dolly in the beginning, whilst I scrounged the secondary market. A chunk 'o' chinese mystery metal behind the panel suffices, as long as I have a nicely balanced hammer to knock against it. You can even as they say, "polish the turd", so that it doesn't mar the backside of your work. I usually have to polish my used hammers and dollies as well.

Most likely it will be your work that mars the polished turd!

Last edited by weldtoride; 09-21-2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:21 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2012, Jan 2013, Oct 2013

Hi, this sets are real junk BUT I grab a set time to time and use when I need a really strange hammer, cut it, weld on pieces or grind it to a special shape... The dollies I weld a shaft at and use as a postdollie...but it is still junk if you try to use it for what it is designed to do..

https://www.facebook.com/metalman.sweden
Old 09-24-2014, 09:47 AM

Location: Coleman, Texas, a little town in the middle of the state.

The hammers are useable but will need reshaping. The dollies are way small and the heel dolly is hollow so not much weight there...so they are not very useful.

Good to use in a pinch if you have access to a flap wheel on a grinder to reshape the hitting surfaces to a useable contour (The pick hammer for instance, is a great center punch as furnished, with a very sharp end..) Also good for loaning out or someone who has one or two simple jobs...

All that said, a good used Fairmount, Snap on or other "real " hammers or dollies will be a lot more useful..if you can find them used buy them, and save up for the good stuff.

Dagger Tools also has a reasonable bunch of good new hammers.....

Bill F.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:45 PM

I only use my relative cheap starter set when welding ali because of the flux. The rest is almost all second hand real deal stuff or nice shapes I find at the scrapyard.

Frank