All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-04-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
If you make up a test piece of accurate duplicate material and lay out your theoretical set points with a scribe, then you can make your bend and find out what your setback is - or identify where the choices are for that job.
Thanks Kent could you explain how to find out where my setback is?
Old 12-07-2018, 04:09 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payupv8 View Post
Thanks Kent could you explain how to find out where my setback is?

Sorry, cannot do it right now - leaving to teach in DC. Back in 12 days.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Sorry, cannot do it right now - leaving to teach in DC. Back in 12 days.
That’s ok. I have been doing a ton of research and found the equation to figure out my set back and then how to figure out my bend allowance I found some very helpful videos on you tube explaining set back and how to figure it out bend allowance and sight lines. Now to do some math figure it all out and then make some sample pieces!
Old 12-07-2018, 08:23 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Hi,

If I have a sample piece, I make a story board to transfer the bend lines and information to. Cut a 1 inch wide strip of paper, long enough to cover your part. You want to tape the strip down to the surface and to follow all of the curves. Use a carpenter pencil with the side of the lead ground away. You can mark all of the starts and stop of the radius. To find where the bend occured, mark 45° on a 90°bend. If the bend is more or less than 90° Split the angle in half and this is the bend line. Once you have all the lines, remove the paper and lay it out flat. Now you can transfer the marks to your material. I can post picture of the process if you are interested. This explanation, maybe clear as mud

Bill

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTromblay View Post
Hi,

If I have a sample piece, I make a story board to transfer the bend lines and information to. Cut a 1 inch wide strip of paper, long enough to cover your part. You want to tape the strip down to the surface and to follow all of the curves. Use a carpenter pencil with the side of the lead ground away. You can mark all of the starts and stop of the radius. To find where the bend occured, mark 45° on a 90°bend. If the bend is more or less than 90° Split the angle in half and this is the bend line. Once you have all the lines, remove the paper and lay it out flat. Now you can transfer the marks to your material. I can post picture of the process if you are interested. This explanation, maybe clear as mud

Bill
I kinda understand what your saying but Iam more of a visual learner. Thank you
Old 12-14-2018, 12:21 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

I use this technique, if I have an existing part and I want to know the overall shear size and the location of the bend lines.

You need a piece of paper and basic tools.
1.jpg

Carpenter pencils, sharpened on the side, work well for this.
2.jpg

You need to hold the paper tight to the surface. An accurate pattern, will make and an accurate part. (Hold the pencil 45deg to the part, if you are using a press brake. Mark where the radius starts if you are using a finger brake.)
3.jpg

Dotted lines for marking center lines, solid for bend lines, or what ever works for you. Write your notes on the paper strip.
4.jpg

Lay the paper out flat and transfer the lines to your panel. To confirm your lines, cut a 1" strip of your material, transfer the lines and bend the part. If you have to make an adjustment, note it on your strip of paper and try it again.
5.jpg

Hope it helps.

Bill

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:44 PM

Thank you! Definitely does, I tend to way over think things most of the time.