All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Stuff For Sale > Individual Classifieds
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-28-2018, 10:21 AM
MetalShaper of the month 07-12

Dave,

I do, but I believe Aaron is in the process of building a shipping crate and shipping it to me so I can send the buck back to him in it. Last word from him on that was just before Christmas, so I'm guessing that's still on track.

Jaroslav,

I didn't build a frame for the car, instead relied on the sheet metal itself to carry the drive components. I did build a bent tube structure that mounted just under the windshield area to support the steering shaft and pedals. The back end of the radius rods attached to the lower end of that support. For the front axel support, I spot welded in a vertical sheet metal bracket, for the back axel I used aluminum hubs that screwed through the body. They are just inside the body side panel.

Size wise, I'd say this little car is a bit small. Length wise at around 4 feet it was fine, width wise I think it needs about 3 more inches added to it's 16" width. One thing that could have helped is if I had made the opening back further. If you look at pedal cars, the seating is mostly all the way to the rear, I felt like I couldn't do that and maintain the body structure, so I left a trunk panel and a short section of the back of the cab in place for that support. And it's stout due to that, it just limited driver space. The wheel base is 34-35 inches. Proportionally the car is nice, it just lacks in driver space and not pushing the seat all the way to the rear is the reason for that.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:43 PM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Dave,

I do, but I believe Aaron is in the process of building a shipping crate and shipping it to me so I can send the buck back to him in it. Last word from him on that was just before Christmas, so I'm guessing that's still on track.

Jaroslav,

I didn't build a frame for the car, instead relied on the sheet metal itself to carry the drive components. I did build a bent tube structure that mounted just under the windshield area to support the steering shaft and pedals. The back end of the radius rods attached to the lower end of that support. For the front axel support, I spot welded in a vertical sheet metal bracket, for the back axel I used aluminum hubs that screwed through the body. They are just inside the body side panel.

Size wise, I'd say this little car is a bit small. Length wise at around 4 feet it was fine, width wise I think it needs about 3 more inches added to it's 16" width. One thing that could have helped is if I had made the opening back further. If you look at pedal cars, the seating is mostly all the way to the rear, I felt like I couldn't do that and maintain the body structure, so I left a trunk panel and a short section of the back of the cab in place for that support. And it's stout due to that, it just limited driver space. The wheel base is 34-35 inches. Proportionally the car is nice, it just lacks in driver space and not pushing the seat all the way to the rear is the reason for that.
Okay. I understand a little. Please add photo of chassis. I have to start with the chassis. Boys are growing fast.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:39 PM
MetalShaper of the month 07-12

There is no chassis, I felt it was overkill for such a small car. Here's a link to the whole documented build over on MetalMeet.

And here's a pic of the car's interior just before I got the pedal pads made and the seat support installed.