All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-23-2009, 03:29 PM

Kerry: Definitely Austin Healey Sprite/MG Midget. Rollup window model. Here is a photo that I just took of my stack of windscreens. Ther are also a few side curtain model windscreens in there as well. I did race them for a while back in the late 60's to early seventies. I bought a bunch of cars for pieces parts back then. I also had/have one that I made up a turbo setup back in 1975 for a wild street ride.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Yep, the two in the back are them. Bugeye???? or later???

I've got the curved top and bottom bits if you need them.

Btw, the color is most likely going to be the sequoia cream on the bottom of this page (39 Chrysler color)

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.asp...ysler-pg01.jpg
Old 10-23-2009, 03:57 PM

Kerry your car is realy looking good!
Old 10-23-2009, 05:27 PM

Kerry: Later roll-up window cars. I am guessing here, '64 and later Sprite or Midget. The Bugeye and '62-'63 were side curtain windows and the windshield frame bolted to the surface of the body. No post like the one that you have.
Still thinking about the years. It may be as late as '66-'67 when the roll-up windows came along. When the 1275cc engine was introduced. I used to know all of this stuff. It was only forty something years ago.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:19 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Kerry, Your tires fit the wheel openings perfectly giving the car a very aggressive look. It makes me think of the 427 Cobras --- a lot of tire showing. Do you plan to roll under the lower edge of the front fender skirts ? I wouldn’t do it as much as the rear fenders but a small amount of roll would help carry the theme / style you have with the rear fenders & the front of the front fender, at least in my eyes . ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 10-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buchtenkirch View Post
Kerry, Your tires fit the wheel openings perfectly giving the car a very aggressive look.... Do you plan to roll under the lower edge of the front fender skirts ? I wouldn’t do it as much as the rear fenders but a small amount of roll would help carry the theme / style you have with the rear fenders & the front of the front fender, at least in my eyes . ~ John Buchtenkirch
I like the look also John but I'm going to have to do something in the front. The tires rub the fender lip so I'm either going to have raise the car via the coilover adjustment, or go with smaller tires in the front.

I hadn't thought about rolling in the front similar to the rears but will. That might look nice!
Old 10-24-2009, 11:14 PM

Default noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
OK, back to the car.

Mark 'Superleggera' Savory send me an email suggesting I look at OLD style VW headlights. The ones that lay back and have glass lenses. Aftermarket parts are available with new 'non VW' glass and chrome trim.

A VW buddy happened to have some:

Attachment 1543

I didn't have time to mock anything up but I did drive the car and got a good height measurement. The overall height did drop 1/2 inch

Attachment 1544

We'll waste some aluminum prototyping in Oblong.

Attachment 1545

This look was not unusual in the era. Lots of cars had glass lenses over the headlight bulb.

One other thing to be done is to design and implement vents in the fender side for the engine heat. Here is one option:

Attachment 1550

I did drive the car around the block. It has new mufflers, glasspacks actually, and it's too loud but it doesn't drag going into the trailer any more. I'll need to figure something out to muffle it and not be in the way.

Also went through the carb and got the idle jets working. MUCH better!

Attachment 1546

Attachment 1547

Attachment 1548

Attachment 1549

Couple things I learned when it was back on the level floor after having settled from driving.

1- Right front fender was lower than left and too low. I lifted it up 3/4" and now they are the same height from the floor.

2- The wheel well opening will need to clear the tire more. Couple ways I can deal with this, including raising the car a 1/2" with the coilovers. Or I could raise the tip line. Or I could raise the fenders in the front. Or.....

3- Damn it's fun to drive!
Kerry be sure to use dynamat or any other brand sound deadner really helps,also you can add tips on your tailpipes that are small glass packs some times that is enough.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:38 PM
MetalShaper of the Month June, 2010

It's time to buy your wheels! or have you done that yet?
Old 10-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard66 View Post
It's time to buy your wheels! or have you done that yet?
Yeah, wheels and final tires are in process. I'd like wires but they are pricey. Looking... Anyone know if C4 Corvettes came with 15" wheels? I think so...??
Old 10-25-2009, 08:32 PM

Wire wheels pricey? What kind or brand you lookin at? If your lookin at Daytons , yup pricey, but other brands are very reasonabley priced. You might be lookin in the wrong place.
Doug