All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Spectator

Default Bending over this edge

this is the urinal I'm making out of a Sportster tank. When I cut the opening out in the top my buddies plasma cutter didn't have a big enough compressor hooked to it so I got a bad cut. Now the opening is a little bigger than I would like.

I want to fold the edges over to make a softer safer edge (don't want any Lorain Bobbit accidents) how would you go about doing this with the basic hand tools I have? The bottom of the tank (tunnel) has been cut out and a flat bottom has been welded in. I really don't want to cut it back out.
urinal top.jpg

I need to weld a patch here with a bit of curve to match the tank. Pretty straight forward patch (for you guys)
urinal rear.jpg

This one presents a bit of a problem as it will have a trap mounted in it so at least inside has to be a flat surface.
urinal bottom.jpg
Old 03-10-2010, 11:33 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan. 2011, Nov. 2016

First I want to say that it just isn't right to turn a HD tank into a bedpan.... But since you have it cut, I would find some 1/4 solid rod and bend it to match the opening and weld it in. It would be tough to bend the edge all the way around the opening and keep it looking clean. Lots of stretch would have to go into the corners. You might do it if you heated it with a torch, and if it cracked I guess who cares cuz it would be inside.
Jeff
Old 03-10-2010, 09:24 PM

Default Another idea

Rather than solid rod, you can also use tube. I've successfully used brake line tubing. It forms easily, but it's pretty thin when you go to weld it.

Another idea is to take a piece of tubing, split it down the side, then slip it over the edge.

John