All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Miscellaneous stuff you need to know > Posting Pictures
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-27-2010, 04:49 PM

Tim,

Do you know if there's a higher, or lower viewing problem if the images are hosted at an off-site place like Photobucket instead of the AllMetalShaping.com gallery?

I host all of my images with Photobucket. I do this mostly because then I'm not stealing bandwidth if I want to share the same images with another board. I'm not 100% sure, but I think hosting like that also helps to free up some bandwidth for the forum itself, keeping things faster. Only guessing on that one.

I do know that bandwidth cost money, and images can be the biggest contributor to bandwidth use. Forums are not cheap to run. I see this one getting huge in the near future.

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Administrator

We would rather you post them through the site because if you edit your photo bucket it will delete the photos here as well.

We try to encourage members host the photos through the site so they can be here to enjoy for years to come.

We'll take care of the bandwidth.

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Administrator

We're trying

Images hosted off-site are not affected (as far as I can tell) by VB's security tokens, and thus only have problems related to their host. I would have to check and see how VB treats the off-site images in regard to cookies and security tokens to be sure.

Surprisingly, our bandwidth usage is very manageable, even at our peak times. We have some limitations on disk space (nothing to worry about, but there is a limit), but our bandwidth limit is basically huge right now We should be fine for some time to come!

Tim D.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

We're in great shape bandwidth wise. We're at about 17% of our 100GB monthly rate. We're tighter on disc space at about 40% of the 10gb allowed but upgrading to the next level gives us twice the bandwidth and 6 times the disk space for only $20/month. We're not worried.

The problem with photobucket is sooner or later your photos WILL go away. You only have to click on some the red Xs on MetalMeet to see that many of the old photos which were lost were on Photo hosting sites as well as their gallery. With our version of the software, our gallery is integral to the database and the photos should never go away unless the owner deletes them or moves them.

If the photos are ATTACHED instead of linked into the post, they are forever a part of the post unless removed by the author or a moderator.

As Johnny said, we prefer they be hosted here also. We realize that may be additional work for some folks but hey, we're doing a lot of work just to make this site available so we don't feel TOO bad about asking folks to put a little effort out if they want to be involved.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Bump for additional input if anyone has any. It doesn't look like we have much of a problem.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:49 PM

I posted some photos of my new mallets last week and someone had a problem viewing them. I have gotten to the point after losing quite a few large posts that I post the content and then edit in the photos which are resident in my album on this site. Is posting the photos as an edit creating a problem for some to view the photos?
Old 04-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Shouldn't make any difference Carey if you enter them initially or by editing them after the fact.

I have found that using attachments is the most effective way and the one that seems to have the highest probably of folks seeing them.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Carey, I edited the address on the pictures in your post on the hammers. I added the www. to the address and then the pictures showed for the person that couldn't see them.

I don't know how to make the pictures show without the www. being part of the address.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:06 PM

I use a Mac and have no problems using Safari, Firefox or Opera.
I don't use Bill Gates stuff.

Herb Jones
TheOnlyOblong