All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Stuff For Sale > Heads Up Announcements
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-26-2014, 11:29 PM

Default Trumpf nibbler for sale UK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trumpf-she...item3a95772b7c
Too good to miss for someone.

"Everything is in the system, if it aint working, the system aint right"
Old 08-27-2014, 01:18 AM

It's a nice looking machine and at a reasonable price but the biggest problem is the weight of it. Even without the table it is over 2 tons (more like 2.1/4T) and they are a big clumsy machine to handle. The tool holder is nothing like a Pullmax and that is another downside as they are more complicated to make than a 3/4" square shank.

That said, I'd still buy it if I had a bit of spare cash and some room to store it.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:22 PM

I'm looking at buying this machine, it is my first machine purchase of this type, am I being naive or foolish considering a machine of this size/type to get started on? Grateful for any advice any can offer. Thanks.

A refinisher learning the art of metal shaping, and loving it!

Wanted: pullmax type machine in th UK
Old 08-30-2014, 03:37 PM

Anthony, presumably you have seen my post above? If you are happy making all your own tooling and modifying the tool holders to suit your needs then this may be a good buy, it's definitely the right sort of money. You will find a Pullmax a lot more user friendly, the tooling is simpler - thumbnail tools are available from the US for them for a few hundred pounds. Mine has sat in my storage unit for around a year as I've been too busy to do anything with it but it will take some work to convert it to what I want. I bought a Pullmax P21 a few months back and I'm sure that is the machine I will get to use first. With the right tooling the Trumpf would have the capacity to do just about any job but I think you'd get frustrated with the toolholder layout. I'm not sure if any of this makes sense, it would be easier to understand if you were stood in front of the two machines side by side and you could see the differences.

I have a copy of the operators manual for the Trumpf nibblers, I could possibly email it to you next week so you could have a look. Have you viewed this machine yet?
Old 08-30-2014, 09:05 PM

Thanks Gareth, I had read your reply, and already working out that the weight is a bit of an issue, as I'm trying to work out how to get it back to Cornwall. That said, I think it'll be manageable. In terms of the tooling, I like the idea of making tooling so wasn't really deterred by the fact that this would be necessary, I imagine a lot of what I will do will be making custom profiles anyway. What is the tooling arrangement, from what I can see its cylindrical shank into a lathe style collet, am I miles of in my assessment? I have a lathe and other equipment, tig, mig welder a etc. so hopefully making tooling will be ok.

The price just seemed pretty sensible to take a punt on the machine, but then I haven't been looking that long, hence why I was seeking advice, do better machines come up often at this sort of money? I've not viewed the machine as its too far away, I had planned to buy it unseen, again is that overly foolish? Are they prone to particular expensive faults? Thanks for all your advice.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:17 AM
MetalShaper of the Month July 2013, Feb 2018

I made these drawings of te toolholders for my (way smaller) Trumpf TAS 42A a while back.

Toolholders:

Tools:

Translations:
voor: front
zij: side
onder: bottom
slaglengte: stroke length
bevestiging: mount

I think all old Trumpfs use the same shank sizes. I have a lathe so the bottom tools are no problem but I don't have a mill so the top tools shanks are more difficult for me. 24 mm is 1 mm narrower than standard trade size of 25 mm.

Last edited by RatRockx; 08-31-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:46 PM

Default Got it!

So I ended up buying this machine, and have now got it installed in my workshop. Would anyone happen to have any literature that may help get the best out of it? An operators manual etc would really help! Thanks.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:12 PM

Anthony, I got your PM and emailed the manual to you earlier, have you checked to see if it's in your inbox? It is for the CN 700 and CN 900 but it should give you some pointers. If you haven't received it I'll try and resend it tomorrow.

Regards,

Gareth
Old 11-02-2014, 05:49 AM

Default Making tools

With a copy of the manual, thanks Gareth, I've been able to see that the bottom tool holder with the machine is only used for punching and nibbling operations and as most of what I'll be using the machine for is everything else its capable of, beading, shrinking, flanging etc I need to change the bottom holder. As I suspected trumpf uk said that the holder and dies are no longer available, so I've ordered up some steel which I should get tomorrow, and will then set about turning up a bottom tool holder. As we'll making our own dies, it will be made for a shank made from readily available stock material.

We have had a play around with it in its current set up, and I'm very impressed, its a great bit of kit! I will post pics etc of the tooling etc. but should probably move this to a new thread in a more suitable part of the forum. So if you are at all interested I will be posting more of our no doubt very steep learning curve.

Also, thanks for the advice folks, I will probably need a whole lot more! Can't wait to get some metal moving into interesting shapes soon!