All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-15-2015, 08:35 PM

Default Locomotief

I have this moped coming in for restoration next week.
Anyone have any information on it?
I think it's called "HIFI" made in Holland.

Fresh out of the barn after 30+ years. Behind it, a 180 Honda Dream, hope to get it too.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:22 AM

I do not recognize it personally but Holland is a hot-bed of mopeds. There are many folks there that do nothing but restore old mopeds. I suggest you do a search under it's name and see what pops up. If we have any Dutch folks here on this site, they will at least know what clubs or magazines to inquire. While I lived in Holland (years ago), I had a couple mopeds or "broomfeits" (sp?) as they are called.

Good luck!
Old 01-17-2015, 08:48 AM

bromfiets of mobylette
Old 01-17-2015, 09:57 AM
MetalShaper of the Month July 2013, Feb 2018

Locomotief is a known brand for bicycles and mopeds. Could be they are still in business but I'm not sure. My brother had hundreds of vintage mopeds and knows a lot about them. I could send him the pic, anything in particular you need to know?

Old 01-17-2015, 10:13 AM

Likely the Honda is a CA160 Dream (could be a 150) also known as a "Baby Dream", they were made up to 305cc which funny enough at the time people went cross country on them.

Today they are considered very small bikes...times have changed for sure
Old 01-17-2015, 11:30 PM

Joris
I would like to see what they looked like new.
Are the decals available?
Can I still get the tires/rims?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2015, 03:39 PM

Pokie is right, lots of old (dutch) mopeds around here and people who restore them (usualy babyboomers who used to ride them when they were teenagers).

This apears to be a Locomotief M23 from 1959 I see you gastank looks a bit different but I think it's just the colorscheme.

These are the men who came up with the idea to build a little single speed engine that you could mount to your bicycle (1949)At first just as a enginekit with 2 DKW (german truck) headlights welded together as a fuel tank. Later on they would start selling these engines to various bicycle manufacturers who would then modify a frame, put in a telescopic fork, add a fuel tank etc. This is why you can still regocnize it as a bicycle, it still has the slim wheels, small fenders, tiny headlight etc. In fact if you pull that strange lever in front of the handlebar it moves the transmissionroll from the rearwheel and you could use it as a bicycle again Funny to see yours still has that.

Heres a picture of the engine. Because these bicycle frames and especially the brakes were not really designed to have an engine they put in this weird plate with a spring on it to limit the power. When the moped would reach 40 km/h (which was the speedlimit for mopeds) the centrifugal force would move the plate with the hole in it you see in the picture to limit the gasintake. This way it would start stalling and you had to give it less gas to stop it from doing that and thus not going faster than 40km/h (25m/h)

Things like tires, levers and cables where pretty universal so I don't think you will have a problem finding those. However this model wasn't made for very long so finding things like the seat/handlebar could be tricky (luckily yours seems to be pretty complete) Not sure if such an old moped would have decals, I believe they were painted on with a small brush back than.

What I'm interested in is how did it end up over there? Who would even want to drive such a slow moped when you could drive a car at 16.