All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-02-2018, 09:06 AM

FWIW, I have used Mig gas with the TIG to get out of trouble when I ran out of Argon, it welds OK, other than it firing sparks like a fuse of dynamite.
Never had any increase in tungsten burn back. A little more instability in Arc, but nothing to worry about
My thoughts would be AC Balance is set to much for DC or polarity, Although Neil has mentioned he has used it previously without issue.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilb View Post
i'm having a little trouble with my tig, it welds as though there is no gas, the electrode burns up like it would as if the gas was off. i do have gas flow, pre - during - post welding. doesn't matter which type of electrode i use lanthanated, ceriated, zirconated. i have a gas lens fitted, i recently fitted a gas dryer in the feed line in case of moisture. i'm using and have always used argon/co2 mix, i only weld mild steel. machine is a uni mig 200 a/c

anyone have any ideas? i'm about to change to pure argon just to try it
Neil, I tried this today on 16G mild steel sheet, all scale removed, and wiped down with Acetone.
Pure argon , near perfect welds, no problem at all, changed over to argon/ co2 mig gas, not good , tiny bubbles ,craters ,and the tungsten picking up cr@p.In my opinion , for what it's worth, mixed gas doesn't work for me either.
Just another thought, I Scotchbrite the copper coating off my filler rods, then wipe down, this seems to stop the bubbles anyway.
Cheers,
Fab.

Share what you know, learn what you don't.

Last edited by fabricator; 07-02-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:28 PM

I don't know who's brand of gas you are using but I have changed over from rental bottles to owning my own and couldn't be happier. An E size argon from Pacific Gas (no affiliation, just happy customer) is $220 outright and $80 for refill.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:56 PM

Default Wrong Gas

I have been a welder repair tech for 21years. WRONG GAS Pure argon Pure argon Pure argon for mild steel...…….. I have heard many guys tell me they have always used a mix ar/co2 for tig and they are wrong...…..
Old 07-03-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozcad View Post
I don't know who's brand of gas you are using but I have changed over from rental bottles to owning my own and couldn't be happier. An E size argon from Pacific Gas (no affiliation, just happy customer) is $220 outright and $80 for refill.
G Day Peter,
Definitely owning your bottles is the way to go. Over the last 7 years I have saved myself over $3200 in rentals.
Your gas seems very cheap, with that price, that's not for a D Size bottle by any chance.
I use Speedgas and there price is $445 outright and $145 Refill for the E Size.
G Argon refill is $175.
Cant wait till they do the Oxy/Accet bottles.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:31 PM

Hi John, $220 outright and $80 refill is definitely the price for E size 100% Argon. I own all my bottles including my oxy acetylene bottles. All from Pacific Gas. After paying BOC "bunch of chaps"(forum friendly nickname) so much rent over so many years, I couldn't be happier. I could look up what I paid for my other bottles if you'd like.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:40 PM

To bring this thread back on topic and to agree with many previous posters, Argon mix is not the go for tig. Neil, I have a unimig 200 ac/dc like you and never had any success with Argon mix (yeah, I tried using my mig bottle). I think you should try straight Argon before anything else.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:41 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2019

wow! this thead got active lol

i know what everyone is saying about using pure argon, and to a degree i know what should be used i too have been welding a long time. this is not a new hobby for me.

rod s. i get you are a little passionate when it comes to your trade and career but the facts remain i have used argon/co2 mix with tig, as a couple have stated on this thread it works to a degree.

i will ad my logic to this, it's no gaurantee what percentage of mix gas's you get, maybe this bottle i have has way more co2 than it should, maybe it has a percentage of o2? who knows.

ozcad, i get my gas from supagas, i called them to change to argon and i have been intouch with pacific gas after getting a refill price from supagas. $143 refill price for an 'E' size bottle from pacific. $396 initial price for the first full bottle, then just refill price no rental so i am switching. thanks for heads up on that company. a friend in NSW has his own bottle but they don't cover VIC
Old 07-21-2018, 06:31 AM

With all of us caught up in telling you to change to Argon (myself included), we may have lost track of the original question. Have you resolved the problem and if so, what did you discover. Gas, leak, tungsten...?
Old 07-21-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozcad View Post
Hi John, $220 outright and $80 refill is definitely the price for E size 100% Argon. I own all my bottles including my oxy acetylene bottles. All from Pacific Gas. After paying BOC "bunch of chaps"(forum friendly nickname) so much rent over so many years, I couldn't be happier. I could look up what I paid for my other bottles if you'd like.
Geez thats cheap as i paid 475 for my bottle and 175 a refill from total tools