All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Miscellaneous stuff you need to know > Announcements
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-20-2018, 08:09 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Still more pics

Speedster grill insert is the last part to finish the metal work. I had over metal finished the corners and made them too thin.
KentClassMon 044.jpg

Kent was able to actually to weld up the inner flange with the gas welder and showed the proper way to metal work, planish and them metal finish to the correct thickness. Thanks Kent!!!
KentClassMon 048.jpg

I don't know how to express how much I was impressed with this learning experience. What I have always heard described as hammer welding was explained to me to actually be 'hot planishing'. Kent took an old piece of rusty.040" sheet steel and using the pullmax, cut it into two pieces. Then using his power hammer to act as a third hand, he adjusted the air pressure so that he could control the hits (actually able to make it 'single hit). He then fusion welded the panel, and as he was welding the panel he actuated the power hammer, planishing the weld as he went and that controlled the fit of the panel edges. He could just weld right along and not have to stop every few seconds to hit the previous welded area. Perfectly smooth when completed in a very minimum of time. Very impressive!
KentClassMon 036.jpg

KentClassMon 037.jpg

Side view of the panel.
KentClassMon 040.jpg

Kent gas welding a Kenworth gas tank that belongs to Jimmy Matthews. Jimmy brought the tank with several cracks and dents. Jimmy is turning the tank and I am preheating the rod and adding flux for Kent so he can continue to weld.
KentClassMon 056.jpg

KentClassMon 058.jpg

Jimmy and Dominic are cutting the end off the tank.
KentClassSun 005.jpg

KentClassSun 008.jpg

KentClassSun 015.jpg

Last edited by RockHillWill; 11-20-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:36 PM

Road trip to relax after four days of intense learning.

Morning stop at Gaunt Brothers Race shop in Mooresville, N.C.
KentClassTues 002.jpg

KentClassTues 005.jpg

KentClassTues 007.jpg

KentClassTues 008.jpg

KentClassTues 009.jpg

Front Row Motorsports shop in Statesville, N.C. They are expanding to three cars next year and have 37 cars to either build or update for next year. They are looking for GOOD race help!
KentClassTues 010.jpg

This David Ragan car is headed to Barret Jackson auction.
KentClassTues 012.jpg

Body termplates
KentClassTues 014.jpg

KentClassTues 015.jpg

KentClassTues 016.jpg

Mike Yurko explain some details to Kent.
KentClassTues 017.jpg

New design front snout for next year. Notice the lack of triangulation!!!!!!!!
KentClassTues 018.jpg

Last edited by RockHillWill; 11-20-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:58 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Hi,

It looks like a great time.

Bill

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:34 PM

How did you weld the gas tank without blowing yourself to bits?
Old 11-21-2018, 07:17 AM

Assorted tips and tricks from Kent's class here at the Redneck Ranch.

Using the wooden block to clean the tip of the Mecco torch by intermittently used in a rubbing motion.
KentClassMon 017.jpg

Dominic Manera and Roy Epps watch as Kent puts an 'oilcan' in a flat sheet, the mentioning that an 'oil can' is both stretched and hard, proceeded to anneal it and then shrink it.
KentClassSat 027.jpg

As mentioned in one of his earlier posts, Kent shared his approach to using the TIG welder to tack weld prior to using the Mecco torch to gas weld an aluminum panel. Several of us have seen this before, but Kent explained in more detail the critical nature of the recessed gap of the tungsten vs the cup. It should be recessed about .015" - .020", then adjustments to that dimension are needed if you are tacking a curved panel. I experienced this issue on a panel that I was making for the Model A fender project. This idea was VERY helpful to many of us in making quick starts on the aluminum gas welding exercises.
KentClassSat 032.jpg

KentClassSat 033.jpg

Kent brazed two separate pieces of aluminum to an aluminum sheet to display the strength of aluminum brazing.
KentClassMon 033.jpg

Here, he is displaying one method for annealing our 3003H14 aluminum sheet, while mentioning that using a felt tip pen to 'read' annealing on this sheet is not very accurate as the felt tip pen ink disappears almost 100 degrees lower (550 degrees)than the aluminum annealing point (650 degrees). He actually does not use either a felt tip pen nor takes the time to 'blacken' the panel surface, opting to rely on the color of the reflected flame as the panel heats up to the annealing point. Good 'stuff'!
KentClassSat 038.jpg

We sacrificed a metal clamp to make it into a Mecco torch holder in the event that you want to keep it lit for pre-heating the filler rod and assorted other uses.
KentClassThurs 007.jpg

At the far right of this photo is an adaptor made to better hold the Mecco welding torch as opposed to the wider design found on most gas savers.
KentClassThurs 013.jpg

A display of the outline of one of the class segments.
KentClassThurs 015.jpg

Last edited by RockHillWill; 11-21-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Thanks for posting the photos Will. Good stuff!

Two questions:

1- #4 on the white board list said something to effect 'all stretch or all shrink PERIOD'. Can you explain what that means? It sounds like Kent recommends one or the other but not stretching AND shrinking on the same panel???

2- Can you (or Kent) explain a bit more about Aluminum brazing?
Old 11-22-2018, 08:14 AM

I spoke with him about this on the way to the airport, and what he meant was that shrinking and stretching were the only things that effect shape. Everything else effects form. I have another post about some aluminum brazing that he demonstrated, but I am certain that he will chime in on this, as it is very interesting and useable. I have asked Kent to help me update a 'metal shaping' dictionary that was started by Fay Butler to help the metal shaping community have more clarity in discussions by using the same words for the same meaning. I have spent the last eight days with Kent and I am inundated by trying to organize all that I have been exposed to from his visit and the class.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 11-22-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillWill View Post
...what he meant was that shrinking and stretching were the only things that effect shape. Everything else effects form. ...

Ah, Now I understand and agree 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillWill View Post
...I have asked Kent to help me update a 'metal shaping' dictionary that was started by Fay Butler to help the metal shaping community have more clarity in discussions by using the same words for the same meaning. I have spent the last eight days with Kent and I am inundated by trying to organize all that I have been exposed to from his visit and the class.

I agree with this also. We had the same approach back in the early days of MetalMeet and even before that at the Metal Shapers Association. The words we choose effect how people understand what we are trying to say. This is one of the reasons I usually comment when people refer to a reciprocating machine as a power hammer. Different critters and different approaches to doing much the same thing.

In that vein, Wray Schelin preferred the word 'ARRANGEMENT' to 'FORM'. I agree with him that arrangement is a word that makes more sense to novice shapers who are struggling with the whole 'shape vs form' thing.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:46 AM

Arrangement makes it easier for me to understand as well. I'll work on that.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Another reason for the 'dictionary' is that I've found that many times folks are in 'VIOLENT AGREEMENT' but are so hung up on the language and making their point that they can't recognize they are saying the same thing.

'VIOLENT AGREEMENT' is a phrase we used a lot at my pre-retirement job at Hewlett-Packard. I remember Wray Schelin almost coming to blows with someone over a difference of opinion at one of the Tent MetalMeets in Robinson, IL. I don't remember who or what they were discussing but it was getting pretty heated. I commented that if you guys would quit putting forth your position so hard and listen to each other, you'd realize you were both saying the exact same thing with different vocabulary. They both stopped and were quiet for a minute and said 'yeah'.