All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
Register All Albums Event Calendar Today's Posts Search
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-06-2011, 10:18 AM
MetalShaper of the month 06-12, 02-14

Default Another aussie joining

I am a professional metal shaper from Melbourne Australia,
in 2009 I was awarded a FellowShip from a non for profit Oganisation called the ISS Institute wich gave me the opportunity to travel to the USA. The purpose of the study tour was to take the Wheeling Machine and associated tools we use in Australia and compare them with the American syle POWER HAMMER and air planashing hammers. The fellowship is about bringing back to Australia the knowlage gained and passing it on. I was lucky enough to visit the shops and attend seminars of professional metal shapers like Fay Butler FAY FAB, Tommy Caruso CONTOUR METALSHAPING, Cal Davis METAL CRAFTOOLS, Josh Bullock RARE FAB, Bobby Waldon WALDON SPEED SHOP and Dave Knight SCOTTS HAMMERWORKS. It was a pleasure to have met and worked with all these people and I learnt so much on the tirp, to much to mention in an introduction.

About three months after the trip I was able to purchase a twin head YODER power hammer that was shipped from the USA to the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation at fishermans bend Melbourne in 1984. The Hammer was in service for about 9 years making parts for F18's then retired to an older fellow that I purchased it from. I have restored the hammer and use it all the time, it has become a major tool for metal shaping in the shop.

Anyhow I was searching the internet and found a link to a thread on ALL MEATALSHAPING that mentioned the report that I wrote after returning from the trip, entiled: Power Hammer Techniques and Applications for Creating Compound Curves in Sheetmetal, so I thaught I would sign up, and I look forward participating

www.kustomgarage.com.au
Old 07-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Jamie, welcome and thanks for the introduction. Took a look at your website, very nice work. Looking forward to seeing you post some of your work. Hope you enjoy the site. Thanks for joining us.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Welcome Jamie,

Here is the link to your report (I think?)

http://www.conceptfr1.com/ISS_report.pdf

Wish I had known you were in the area, it would have been good to meet you. We're about 2 hours from Cal Davis.

Nice looking Yoder. I've never seen a double headed original in person.

What kind of work do you do with it?
Old 07-06-2011, 06:39 PM

welcome jamie looking forward to seeingwhat you are doing .regards clive ross
Old 07-06-2011, 07:55 PM

Welcome to Allmetalshaping Jamie!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the welcome guys.
So far it is used mainly for restoration.
posted some pics of the hammer restored.

Phone Shots 834.jpg

Phone Shots 835.jpg

Phone Shots 799.jpg

www.kustomgarage.com.au
Old 07-08-2011, 05:40 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Hello Jamie, welcome to the site. Nice looking power hammer. Do you find the power hammer is a lot quicker than using a wheel? I find that making the sectiond of most panels is not that long a job, most of the time is spent in making everything fit together properly prior to welding, doing the detail work like swages and wire edging and dressing out the panels to a metal finish. I can see on the wing in the photo above that there is still a lot of hand finishing being done.

David

All things are possible.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:02 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2015

Hi,

Jamie, I founded the report from your studies,(when i was searching info on power hammerīs), a while ago.Read it and posted the link, to this forum.Cool to have you on board!

--------- JJ ----------
Old 07-10-2011, 07:49 AM

David,
Thanks for the welcome, I have found that the Power Hammer is alot faster to shape parts with, due to the speed and force of each blow and the ability to shape much larger parts without assistance like you need to using the Wheeling Machine, although it comes down to the skill level of the operator using the Power Hammer and I have some way to go yet. I have been shaping for about 16 years and up untill a few years ago it was all based around the wheeling machine, I think now after having my eyes opened up to the power and speed of various equipment I will try to let the power tools do the work and finish with hand tools less, although I think that there will always be some hand finishing.

Janne,
Thanks Mate, I was crusing the site and found the discussions on your power hammer find, its a good score and you won't be dissapointed. How do you find shaping with it? what sort of work are you doing with it?

www.kustomgarage.com.au
Old 07-10-2011, 08:35 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2015

Jamie,

My power hammer,isnīt functioning yet.I founded it last winter,(only the arms). And have been bothering everybody who has a power hammer since..,for info .On the past time, i have gotten much more info regarding them.I have to build a pedestal for it, since it came with a home made pedestal, that wasnīt good.I have gotten the info/blueprints for it ,from this forum/other member..I donīt have dies, so I have much work to do with it. I am only a hobbist, who happened to found the hammer, with a good deal.

I remember(from the report), there isnīt many power hammers in Australia, same goes to here in Finland.The pedestal build, is soon going to start... Donīt be suprised, in the future, if I ask you something about power hammer...

--------- JJ ----------

Last edited by Janne; 07-10-2011 at 08:43 AM.