All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
Register All Albums Event Calendar Today's Posts Search
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-25-2012, 04:22 PM

I'm the same, i used to have the luxury of having an old school style dump where i used to live, tons of vehicles dumped there that i could access parts fairly cheap. Spent many hours there scrounging parts with my dad lol.

I havent done to many projects yet, i built a utility trailer from scrap lol....it has an old dodge caravan axle & leaf setup from the dump, the frame is made from cross rails from an old pallet racking setup....my fenders are made from an old super 8 sign lol....and the deck is made from decking from an old beaver lumber green house....oh and the tail lights lol, they came from a caravan to.... its a little funny looking but its strong lol. Only a 4x8 but it hauled the front half of a minivan to the dump on its trial run lol.

I downsized most of my tools.....and spare parts i'd collected over the years when we left bc lol. It was to costly to get a uhaul to go across canada was going to run me around 8000 in total :S figured i'd could replace or rebuild new tools once i got out there

Have you read the gingery books? I found them online a while back, there's some interesting stuff in them. I plan to build a T....just still trying to decide how i want to build it lol, luckily i have some time before i plan to start For the mean time I'm doing a lot of reading,etc

How far along are you on yours? I have a ton of questions lol...hopefully i'll be able to pm soon, for some reason the campground here wont let me get into the control panel,etc :S what about inspection? Are you allowed to weld your own frame there? when i looked into it in BC i had to have a certified welder do it...I havent looked into it here in alberta tho ( regulations from what i'm told here are pretty lax ).
Old 06-25-2012, 05:20 PM

Ya.. we had a dump or.. the spare parts depot as I used to think of it as.
sigh. Times change.

Your trailer sounds like my kind of fun!

I can only imagine how rough moving and not being able to take stuff with you was. 8000. ouch.

No, I haven't read those books. I'll check them out.

Ts are fun. I built the frame, pieced together a body from junk (re-skinned or built most panels), mocked up front and rear suspension and set an engine and trans on for fit.
It's a rolling chassis.. mostly.

As for laws... it's a pain. There are ways to do it legally but it's not simple.
One way is to have a pro weld the frame and a provincial inspector check it over. We have to get the inspector from New Brunswick. He doesn't like hot rods or straight axles so we try to avoid him.
We also have fender laws. So I'll be beating some out of metal if I get good enough.

I sent you an email instead of a PM. Let's see if that works.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:06 AM

got it emailed you back
Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 AM

Hey, Joe,
Good to see you found your way here. You'll find lots of good information and friendly people on this site. Keep working on your "T", it's a lot more fun than your Ranger
Old 06-27-2012, 12:23 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmojoe View Post
Hi David. Thanks for the welcome.
Your T is amazing, like all of your work.
Mine won't be so amazing but it's a start.

I've only watched your DVD once so far. A second viewing starts tonight.

I've been working on an '87 Ford Ranger (BAD shape but I got it cheap). I finished the rear section of the frame today. Soon I'll attack the bodywork and try out some of your methods.
Thanks Joe, I hope it helps. Yarmouth is just up the coast from me (Great Yarmouth UK that is)

Cheers,

David

All things are possible.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammit View Post
Hey, Joe,
Good to see you found your way here. You'll find lots of good information and friendly people on this site. Keep working on your "T", it's a lot more fun than your Ranger
Hi Fred...
Yes, a good group.
T = fun. Ranger = work. But I'll have a truck.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gardiner View Post
Thanks Joe, I hope it helps. Yarmouth is just up the coast from me (Great Yarmouth UK that is)

Cheers,

David
Funny guy!
You have a "Great" Yarmouth. My Yarmouth isn't as great as it once was but it's home.

If I can ever get the mechanicals done on the truck I'm working on, I have a lot of bodywork to do to it.
I will make the outer panels for the box and try to make the fender "flares". I say flares for lack of a better term. The '87 Ranger bulges out around the wheel wells.

I bought an air operated palm-nailer months ago with the intent to make some attachments to use it like a small planishing/shaping hammer. It works quite well messing around. Hopefully it will save me some time along with elbow and hand pain.
Also.. I really do want to build a slapper/flipper.
So much to do. Never bored.