All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Miscellaneous stuff you need to know > Comments and Suggestions
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-13-2018, 01:57 PM

Just a point of information that I discovered after Irma went through here last year. My landline phone and cell phone still worked. For a couple of days. Then the backup batteries failed at the substations and cell towers. I was totally disconnected from the world and couldn't even drive off of my property because of a broken utility pole and crossbar dangling in my driveway outside the gate. That was just a strange feeling.
So don't count on having any kind of communication it the power is down for an extended period of time.
After the storm passes and if you still have communication capabilities, call folks to let them know what your circumstances are because you may lose that capability after a few days if the power is down extensively like it was here.

TuckPuck® Metal Shaping Tools
www.tuckpuck.com
Old 09-13-2018, 03:12 PM
Administrator

If anybody in the area gets a bunch of damage and needs a hand getting things cleaned up, let me know, I'd be happy to load up tools/supplies/equipment and come help. I'm thinking of you specifically, Will and Cliff.

Hell I might just head to Cliff's for the party.

Jake

"I've never met someone with so much tenacity in all my life." - RockHillWill

@madscientistind
Old 09-13-2018, 03:54 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Sounds good, Jake. We missed you at the last RR.

Don't really expect much here beyond rain and possible wind gusts at this point. Maybe some tree issues, but I try to keep most of the potential problem ones cut down/back in general. It's supposed hit us Sun and to be clearing up Mon/Tues. we'll see. Hopefully y'all won't get it bad closer to the actual landfall.

If I've gotta cook the freezers, it'll be good- elk, bison, alligator, plain venison, homemade sausages and more plus the regular chicken/pork/etc.... There's pecan & cherry & more to smoke with. I'll be sure to post an invite.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Mr. C is 100% correct in take this storm seriously. Growing up in New Orleans, La and presently living 1500 feet of the Gulf of Mexico and having experience Hurricane Katrina first hand it is not a good experience. No electricity for 13 days, no water for about 3 weeks and spotty communication at best if you had a cell phone. I did not have any flood water because I live on a ridge that has an elevation of 30 feet. Very few houses in the area did not have flood water, maybe 30 that were as close to the Gulf as I was. The entire west end of our town was GONE except for a log cabin, a castle built in the early 1900s and a newly built compound built up about 20 feet and the first floors was still flooded.

Fortunately I had a whole house generator that ran on natural gas, a deep well for water and a big Kabota tractor with a front end loader. Without these item I would not have made it. Most of the outsiders that come around to help are only looking for big money, anything that you wanted help with was priced at $9,000 or more and the insurance companies were no help at all. It will be worst today.

Get prepared for the worse and hope for the best. I am better prepared today but don't want to go through another major hurricane.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.