All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Stuff For Sale > Individual Classifieds
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-09-2019, 10:38 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Default CP fender hammer up for auction

I have a hand held CP fender hammer listed on eBay now Vintage auto body fender hammer. Chicago Pneumatic planishing hammer. Pettingell if anyone might be interested. ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 05-10-2019, 01:11 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buchtenkirch View Post
I have a hand held CP fender hammer listed on eBay now Vintage auto body fender hammer. Chicago Pneumatic planishing hammer. Pettingell if anyone might be interested. ~ John Buchtenkirch

Hi John,
I know these old hammers keep going and going, and that if they rust up tight they can be freed up with penetrant and then run some more.
However, at some point in the long (abused) life of the air motor, after consuming a fair amount of scale rattling down the air supply pipe, the piston will wear and the bore will wear to the point when even a constant supply of oil will not keep it running.

In fact, I had a guy with two of these old CP machines call me about this last week - they run only a minute after oiling. I told him about wear in the air motor and to make a new oversized piston, fit to the worn bore.
Like you, I've owned a bunch of handheld planishers - and old air motors - and every once in a while they actually need rebuilding with a new component and maybe even some some honing.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:19 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Kent, this is what my CP hammer experience has been. I picked up 3 pedestal hammers plus some parts (one 24” & two 12”) when Edkins air tools closed. I bought 8 CP hammers from Grumman (one 36”, seven Grumman fabricated) when they closed and bought two 24” hammers from Bond Industrial in Brooklyn. Plus I’ve picked up another 10 to 15 (all 12” hand held) during 30 years of swap meets and from a few wanted ads in Hemmings.

To be honest there wasn’t one I was unable get running. With the ones that didn’t run it was always something silly like having the wrong upper die or the indexing pin was snapped or missing allowing the intake port to rotate away from its mating port. One hammer was even assembled with the ports 180 degrees out of sync ! While all CP hammers leak around the barrel to varying degrees I’ve never seen one stop running because of too much clearance around the hammering piston. I will look at your friend’s hammer head if he wants me to, unless something is missing or broken I’m 99% sure I can get it running. He would only have to send me the head, I have dies and a frame here. ~ John Buchtenkirch

P.S. I don’t see why people have trouble working on CP heads, there is really only one moving part.