All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-01-2018, 05:06 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

I think the rounded hood over the instrument binnacle suits it too.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:48 PM

Still one of my favorite builds.
Your vision on this project has been amazing.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:34 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

I started installing the air ride system this weekend. I know this looks like I'm jumping all over the place, but there is good thought behind the madness. I need to get the heavy fabricating out of the way. All that's left is to make the roof frame and skin it. I didn't do that earlier because it would have been in my way whether it was on the 49 or off. The problem is, I can't even get to my machines with all the parts and boxes all over. I need to clear some space to work in so I'm putting as much into the car as I can without having to remove it later in the process.
I'm using a 7 gallon air tank and two Air Maxxx 580 compressors. I have them mounted in the trunk above the rear suspension. There is a drain petcock on the bottom right side for bleeding condensation from the tank. I bored an oversized hole in the floor there so the compressors can draw fresh air for cooling. You can't completely enclose these, you'll overheat them.

Name:  1284.jpg
Views: 1493
Size:  75.5 KB

These are the air management solenoids. Each one is identical to the others. What they do depends on how you plumb them. The first solenoid takes an air line from the tank. When it's activated, it allows air to go straight through the T fitting to the air bag lifting the car. When you let off the button, the air is trapped in the bag. The second solenoid is attached to the T also and when activated, it allows the air that's trapped in the bag to dump through a line going out the bottom of the car to open air.
I put the tank and compressors in the trunk to eliminate noise in the interior. The solenoids will be mounted in what was the back seat area along with the battery and some other electronics.

Name:  1285.jpg
Views: 1408
Size:  39.6 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.

Last edited by Jack 1957; 09-03-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:55 PM

I mounted the air suspension solenoids next. The pairs are mounted on small brackets then bolted to the rear bulkhead. Two of the output tubes go to the rear bags and two to the front. They are plumbed individually and will be wired individually. You shouldn't use one line, then a T to service two bags. If you do it that way, when you turn a corner, the air can travel from one bag on the outer side of the turn as the load increases to the other bag on the inner side of the turn as the load decreases. Run a separate line to each corner
I also seam sealed and primed the bottom of the floors and started making a bracket to mount the drive shaft center bearing. Busy, busy.

Name:  1286.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  30.6 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:14 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Pretty hard to wrap my head around all you're doing, Jack. This project is always very impressive and informative.

As always, Thanks for posting.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:15 PM

I continued fitting the interior components. I need to locate where the seats, seat belt retractors, and upper loop will mount and get bungs welded in for them. The console, shifter and the dash pretty much bolted right in.

Name:  1287.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  63.5 KB

Old 09-14-2018, 04:25 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

That's terrific.

How is the fit where the dash meets the windshield?

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 09-14-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
That's terrific.

How is the fit where the dash meets the windshield?

I had to trim the composite dash inner structure at the corners where the windshield curves around to the sides. I didn't have to cut into the upholstered top surface because the CTS A pillar trim came down and merged with the dash in the corners. I will make filler plates that will snap into these openings and upholster them to match the dash upholstery.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:31 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack 1957 View Post
I had to trim the composite dash inner structure at the corners where the windshield curves around to the sides. I didn't have to cut into the upholstered top surface because the CTS A pillar trim came down and merged with the dash in the corners. I will make filler plates that will snap into these openings and upholster them to match the dash upholstery.

Thanks.....

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 09-19-2018, 08:27 PM

I thought at first that this V6 would look puny in this cavernous engine bay, but as I started putting in the various systems it's looking more and more like a typical swap; never enough room.
I got the master cylinder plumbed and started with the A/C lines. The lines from the evaporator and compressor are in. I can't finish the A/C till the condenser gets here. Probably early next week.

Name:  1288.jpg
Views: 1802
Size:  32.4 KB

That's the lower half of the fuse box setting on the cabin air intake plenum. It will be mounted just forward of the plenum so I needed to alter the harness and extend a few wires since the box will be mounted about 8" further back than the original location on the CTS. I need to get a roll of 8 gage wire in the morning for one of the wires in this harness, then I can close it up.

Name:  1289.jpg
Views: 1785
Size:  57.8 KB

Moving along, I got the trans cooler and P/S cooler mounted and plumbed. The transmission and P/S systems are finished. All the brake lines are installed and the ABS manifold is plumbed. Fuel lines are in from the engine back to the vapor recovery canister and back to the gas tank area. I still have work to do in the front. There's a lot happening in a small place. Once I have everyhing plumbed and wired I'll start tying everything down and making it look a little cleaner.The gas tank will be next. I can't use the CTS gas tank because of size and shape so I got an 18 gallon tank for a 68 Camaro. The dimensions are perfect but I need to do a lot of modifying to get the fuel pump, sending unit, and vapor recovery system to fit and work properly.

Name:  1290.jpg
Views: 1836
Size:  69.1 KB

Name:  1291.jpg
Views: 1739
Size:  52.8 KB

Last edited by Jack 1957; 09-19-2018 at 08:48 PM.