All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Miscellaneous stuff you need to know > Comments and Suggestions
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-16-2011, 03:01 PM

Default are we safe here?

Apparently the "OTHER" site has had some trouble... and there back up is 6months old... so way it seems , all the post from today to back 6months are gone... unless theyre able to fix it...

it was kinda upsetting the first time they lost all the data and went back to 2005 .. now this... i was slowly try'n to get back into it and post some...
but now im back down to 1 post ...

i goto these forums to read and learn and get ideas .. and if any info is lost, its upsetting.... i know stuff happens.. but really all this?
and taking the time to post and upload pics only to be lost is not very well setting...

with that being said ... how well backed up is this site? not no 6months back? loosing data from a month is do able.. but 6 months kinda crazy...

thanks
mat
Old 01-16-2011, 03:12 PM

Mat, in a word, yes. This site is backed up by one of the 4 owners at the very least biweekly, and that backup is often verified, meaning that they post it and look at it as a user to make sure it is not corrupt. In less thasn a few hours at most this site could be using an old backup if something nasty happens, of course hoping it doesnt.

Marty
Old 01-16-2011, 03:18 PM

very nice! glad somebody got it all together ... LOL...
thanks Marty...

mat
Old 01-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClary View Post
...with that being said ... how well backed up is this site? not no 6months back? loosing data from a month is do able.. but 6 months kinda crazy...
Mat, the short answer is yes.

Our hosting service InMotion backs up our entire server every night.

In addition, we manually backup about once a week or so. The copy resides on the InMotion server AND we copy the backup to our local PCs and keep logs.

New Forum was backed up 12-05-10 Resides on the server
Forum was backed up 12-21-10 Resides on the server and Kerry's computer - verified
Forum was backed up 01-10-11 Resides on the server and Kerry's computer - verified
If anyone else makes a backup, just add it to the list by editing this post.

In addition, we periodically restore a backup to a test forum just to verify the backups are valid.

I had a customer once that backed up their company data daily and put copies in off site locations. They did everything right....except verify their backups were good.

They called us for help but there was nothing that could be done. They lost EVERYTHING and it nearly put them out of business.

Having and verifying a backup strategy is system admin 101.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

It takes less than 2 minutes for a manual backup. We normally try and do them early in the morning when there are fewer people on.

When Mat asked the question, I restored and verified the last manual backup. It took about 15 minutes to do the restore and verify it was good and complete.

If we had totally lost the server and had to reinstall the VBB software it would only take a few hours once Tim was available to do it. Since he has a real job and an actual life, that might take a day or so.

InMotion has one of the best reputations in the hosting world but if something failed on their end and we had to revert to our most recent manual backup, we're only looking at a couple week loss of data at the worst.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:52 PM

Competency behind the wheel means alot.

*pats Kerry Joe Johnny and Tim on the back*

Onward to MetalShaping!

Marty
Old 01-16-2011, 06:44 PM

Default Dont panic just yet!!

Just to make everyone feel a little better (about the other site) this was posted there:
The MetalMeet website had a data base snafu this morning (1-16-2011). We then had to revert back to our last back up; which was made 1-9-2011. Our apologies for any inconveniences.
Thats not six months ago. More like seven days. It appears their backup is not as well prepared as this site, but they do try and keep up.
Thanks to all the people who take the time and effort to preserve the info and comments on THIS site!! Your efforts are greatly appreciated.
Steve

Steve N.

Last edited by JaggedEdge; 01-16-2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: speeling
Old 01-16-2011, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the efforts admins!!!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaggedEdge View Post
Just to make everyone feel a little better (about the other site) this was posted there:
The MetalMeet website had a data base snafu this morning (1-16-2011). We then had to revert back to our last back up; which was made 1-9-2011. Our apologies for any inconveniences.
Thats not six months ago. More like seven days. It appears their backup is not as well prepared as this site, but they do try and keep up.
Thanks to all the people who take the time and effort to preserve the info and comments on THIS site!! Your efforts are greatly appreciated.
Steve
thats cool, at the time i noticed the mess up ... it was going back 6 months ago...

just wanna say thanks to all the people behind the scenes on this site that keeps it up and going and make it look easy to rest of us.. lol...

mat