All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-01-2018, 10:10 PM

just my 2 cents I like option 1. Glad to see the project moving forward!! All of it is looking great.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:45 PM

I think that option two of having the lights inboard helps accentuate the unique shapes of the rear end. Just my opinion.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:35 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Both highlight different areas and think either would work well depending on what look you are after. I personally might do the outboard ones purely from the standpoint of practicality of keeping the water out of the light and safety point of view. We have laws here that also govern how far in from the sides they are allowed to be for safety sake.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:59 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

I like outboard better!
Steve
Old 11-02-2018, 08:13 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

Outboard. Have you considered making something like the 55 - 60 Corvette tail lights? They would not interrupt your body lines.

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:17 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Sept. 2015, Nov. 2019

I'm on board for the outboard look.
When i started my first car build I was watching the build of your car. Now on my second car...........still watching you, hurry up! Ray
Old 11-16-2018, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Ok, Outboard it is. Holes cut and stuck in place. Need to tweek the metal around it for a more flush fit but I'm not going for 100% yet.

Name:  20181113_140404.jpg
Views: 1810
Size:  52.3 KB

I've been thinking about the license plate holder for months. I don't like any of the solutions that look good...not that any license plate looks good.

Since I have to have a light on the plate, I purchased a couple of those license plate lights that have been around forever. I'm just going to cut a hole as close as I can get it to the profile of the back of the car, and create an inset that is deep enough that I can put the lights in it where they won't be visible unless someone gets on the ground. The exhaust tips will come out just below the plate.

Also have the decklid gaps pretty close. Dang, this crap is hard. At least for me.

Name:  20181113_140225.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  79.7 KB

I was going to make the panels below the doors that tie the front and rear fenders together but realized I need to cut some aluminum and didn't want to fire up the compressor. My shear is air powered.

So while I was thinking about that I decided to reach a decision about the side vent. Some months back we had a nice discussion of what could be done. Mark Savory did a photoshop that looked great and also suggested I could just mock things up with duct tape...so I did. The first photo is Mark's photoshop.

This is my mockup. Basically, I'll add pieces to split the current opening into 3. Behind that, I'll add some stainless woven mesh...about 1/4" opening and a 1/16" wire. I actually have some left over from a custom grill I made for my GMC motorhome but, sadly, don't have quite enough. The interior of the scoop could also be a different color for contrast.

Name:  20181116_151238.jpg
Views: 1520
Size:  52.7 KB

I could also put stainless trim over the vertical lines just to make them stand out. I still haven't ordered any stainless trim pieces and need to do that so I can get my head around any side trim. That decision, however, can be made after the car is in primer and road legal. I still intend to drive it in primer a while.

A question for the paint guys. I've talked about how the rear fenders are seamed in the middle with screws and nutcerts which will be covered by a piece of stainless. The fenders have studs that go through holes in the interior structure behind the doors. Washers and bolts hold them in place. The back of will be bolted to the structure at the very back/bottom.

My question is this. If I did away with the seam and welded the whole back together in one piece, I could still remove the back as a unit IF I CAN SPRING the body about 3/4". How flexible is the paint. I'm thinking not flexible enough but I know something can be added for plastic bumpers. Is this doable or a really bad idea?????

Finally, I'm getting pretty close to finishing all the major shaping. I have a rotisserie (Auto Twirler) that I traded an Imperial 26F for about 10 years ago. I'm thinking I'll pull the drivetrain so I can put it on the rotisserie and work the body the last 5%. I got great big pneumatic casters so I can roll it around or even put it on my trailer and take it somewhere if necessary.

The Corvette C4 has a vent that will leak differential fluid when I turn it upside down. I'll either have to plug the vent or pull the differential. Suggestions.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:59 AM

Kerry: On paint, select a system that is in use on something that flexes a lot.
A couple to look at are JetGlo and Ranthane from the aircraft world.

On the 'Vette rear end, remote the vent is the easy way to take care of it. Make a hard line to the new top of the unit and cap it with a solid cap with a couple of tiny breather holds drilled into it.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:02 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton
I've been thinking about the license plate holder for months. I don't like any of the solutions that look good...not that any license plate looks good.
Name:  s-l300.jpg
Views: 2012
Size:  9.5 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton
My question is this. If I did away with the seam and welded the whole back together in one piece, I could still remove the back as a unit IF I CAN SPRING the body about 3/4". How flexible is the paint. I'm thinking not flexible enough but I know something can be added for plastic bumpers. Is this doable or a really bad idea?????
Don't bother with flex additives. The additive only stays active for about 30 days. I have raced and built and painted race cars for years. On some of the cars, the front fenders needed to be pulled outward nearly a foot each in order to remove the front end. The paint doesn't crack. The trick is to minimize the build up of fillers and primers in the area. Try to get the body as close to perfect as possible. Start with a good epoxy primer PPG's DP series then 2K primer surfacer as needed. Then use a quality 2K urethane, single stage or BC/CC, which ever you prefer. Don't underestimate the quality of the new urethane paints. Actually it's unfair to even call it paint. It's a polymer. It has more in common with plastics than it does with "paint". It consists of a urethane composite and a catalyst. When they are combined a third unique product is the result. If you want to demo that, just leave about a 1/2 inch of catalyzed clear in a plastic mixing cup over night. In the morning you will have a clear plastic hockey puck.

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.

Last edited by Jack 1957; 11-18-2018 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Thanks Jack. I'm not a painter so it's great to hear from someone who is.

The last few days I've been mostly thinking. Today, I decided to start cleaning up some of the 90% panels to take them to 95-98%...they'll never get to 100% and I'm fine with that.

I've decided to change my doors a bit. The upper rear is a very complex shape and it's very difficult to set and maintain the gap. Plus, it runs into my leg when I open it. The photo below shows the current door and the sharpie line shows the change.

Name:  20181127_125036.jpg
Views: 1879
Size:  47.2 KB

I can do this without making a new doorskin.