All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Stuff For Sale > Individual Classifieds
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-15-2017, 06:37 PM

Default chicago pneumatic plannishing hammers

I have a 36" CP plannishing hammer for sale.the two plannishing hammers are back up for sale.

Last edited by steve65; 03-11-2021 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:00 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve65 View Post
I have a 36" CP plannishing hammer for sale. ive owned it since 1991 and it works perfectly and comes with about half a dozen original cp dies as well as the full set of clay cooks dies. $11,500 I also have a 12" CP plannishing hammer that was the last hammer to come out of California metal shaping. after paul allen bought CMS and moved all the equipment to Washington state,this was the only hammer they didn't take. (I guess it was too small for the aircraft panels they were going to be fabricating) works perfectly as well. $5,000 located in las vegas nv. I will post some pictures soon. (702)327-7990 steve
Yo Steve ... Lost Wages,NV? You helping with the cobra work over at the state Penn?

That hammer should bring some serious coin for you. I saw it when I would visit Leo. How much tooling does it have with it? I have a couple of those CP yokes/frames (pre- "hoops") but no more dies.

(Kent)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:13 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve65 View Post
hey kent,long time no see. the 36" hammer has about 5 dies that are original cp dies. the rest are a full set of clay cooks dies I bought 20 years ago. it has a tag on it that says douglas aircraft co.El segundo ca and under the date section it says 48. does that mean 1948? the 12" hammer came from cal metal. I know a guy named jerry bydalek who deals in this type of equipment.he had me come up to CMS when they were emptying out the building.he showed me a stack of photos you woudnt believe. pictures of leo, red, and scott knight from the 1960s and a stack of work orders from some legendary people and businesses that hired CMS to do work for them. I offered him any price he named for even one or two of them,or even copys , and I'm still bugging him now, years later and still cant get an answer. he was one of two people to show up for the auction after all the hammers were removed.there were still bucks from indy cars and other historicaly significant projects but the other guy out bid him.I just moved to vegas in june after my landlord was going to be raising my rent by another $500 a month.cant afford cali anymore.my shop is next to the speedway. stop by if you happen to come to sema.
I am very glad you salvaged something from that huge Cal Metal tool collection ... Bill Honda was always going to tool auctions. (Yes, your hammer is a 1948.) He told me once that Marcel outbid him for a 12A Marchant power shrinker, that they sometimes got into bidding wars at the auctions. The place had tools stuffed under tables and benches and piled up in the loft.
Leo and the guys made a lot of skins. Dick Troutman told me he had Leo make the skins for the Scarabs because nobody could make them as well or as fast, anywhere else. Bill Honda told me that Leo made the skins for the first Monorail for Disneyland. HAC and Nethercutt got a lot of parts made there. Leo made stacks of Duesenberg fenders, over the years. I think he and Red built up a Bucciali there, too. Leo got started on those hammers at Cal Metal in 1934, so he got a good run before he was senior to just about everybody else. When I told him he was rated as the best "hammer" in the country, he stopped and thought for a moment, looked up at me and said, "Well, all the others are Dead!"
He might have made the body for the Phantom Corsair ...
I told Tim Barton about the Roll-A-Ball sitting in the back of the Hammer Room, and he went after the research on that with great results, as seen in one of his books.
Leo, working on the double hammer - Yoder on the front, and a small Pett on the back.
Leo and helper on double hammer.jpg

Another lad who worked there and then went to work for Junior before starting his own shop, was Steve Alcala, who has become a first rate craftsman:
Steve Alcala and the Tommy Lee car.jpg
Steve found this Frank Kurtis-built custom as a pile of parts, and built it back up over many long years. This Tommy Lee hotrod had a custom engine built by Fred Offenhouser....
http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/feature...ind_of_hot_rod

I'll look you up when I am down in Lost Wages, Steve. Looking forward to it.
Let's see those hammers sell ....

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:54 PM

[QUOTE=crystallographic