All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Default Important lessons

I would like to start a thread on what was some of the most important lessons you have learned about metal shaping.

I would like for it to be written up as a lesson.So if a new member joins and is interested in metal shaping,this could be a thread they could look up and get an idea on some of the important lessons they will need to learn.

For me it was In and out of arrangement.I sure was going nowhere fast until I understood this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is an example of in and out of arrangement.

OK we have a test bowl that I took the pattern from.

quill holder 082.jpg

Now what if I grabbed that bowl and bent it all to hell.

quill holder 084.jpg

No big deal because I haven't changed the shape of the panel,I just changed the arrangement.

See if I put the pattern back on to this bent up bowl,the pattern still fits perfectly.

quill holder 088.jpg

So never worry about your contour gauges until after you get the panel fitting the pattern.

Because all I have to do now is put the bowl back into arrangement.This is where the contour gauge comes into play.The panel fits the pattern perfectly so it will go back into arrangement.

With a tug here or maybe push there,what ever it takes to get it to fit the contour gauge.

quill holder 085.jpg

quill holder 090.jpg

Now were right back to where we started from.

quill holder 079.jpg

It took me forever to figure this out.It is one of the most important lessons I learned.

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.

Last edited by jhnarial; 06-08-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

For me it was grasping the difference in shape and arrangement (sometimes called form). You can use the same photos to grasp the concept. The shape of something is determined by it's surface area. You can change SHAPE by stretching, shrinking, or cutting and welding (gluing, riveting, etc). Those are the ONLY ways to change SHAPE. Arrangement (sometimes called form), is changed by bending or folding and, as Johnny showed previously, does not change the shape.

I get hung up on the language we use. MetalFORMING is folding or bending. You don't FORM a panel, you SHAPE it.