All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 07:11 PM

As Marty said, there was a 7 day (or less) backup on the server when the passwords were turned over to the new administrators, and it was lost, destroyed, misshandled, or just wouldn't work with the new version of vBulletin during the transfer process. That my friend is what Paul Harvey used to call "the other side of the story".

Tuck

Last edited by Tuck; 04-03-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Comstock View Post
Backups were made on a weekly basis, at a time when there was little or no activity on the site to allow a short shutdown of traffic. The current backup at the time of the changeover was handed over when passcoded were changed.

The 3 1/2 year old backup was something Jack was fortunate enough to have at the time to let the site continue.

Jack was not willing to respond to people who harrass him, and he had a personal issue in his life he had to handle for a short time, and yes, was not in contact as much at that time.

Marty
nonsense,

if jack had backed up the site we wouldn`t be using a three year old version, if he has a new backup he needs to release it.

do you have knowledge of jack having a backup marty ?????

jack refused to communicate with at least three board members, hardly people harrassing him. not responding to the group that paid him is horrible.

tuck; even if the new server completely bungled the transfer (v-bullitin offered to do the move, jack refused the codes to them) there should be a backup.

jack has either not backed up the site, or is refusing to release the backup , either way it was his paid job to do so.

gary
Old 04-03-2010, 08:04 PM

The most current backup was "lost" along with the original metalmeet information. Not just corrupted, but lost.

Jack was fortunate to find an older un erased copy, and that is what the site has restarted upon. To my knowlege he has no other backup, else he would have supplied it.

Jack refused to communicate? Gary I like you, but I must ask where you get your information. I doubt it is first hand. I have received mine from Jack, and you can feel free to contact him yourself, or any other member of ANY site, and allow you to draw your own conclusions. I have also gotten my information from research on vBulletions own website and forum. I'd LOVE to see anybody do this and report their findings. PM me for Jacks E-mail, If you are so inclined. If not, well, then we all can just continue these guessing games because what someone posted on a forum must be true.

Marty
Old 04-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I also spoke with Jack about this. I know Jack. He's been in my house. In a he said, he said, each of us have to decide who to believe. I believe Jack.

In my wildest dreams, I would not have suspected that MetalMeet.com would be hijacked from the BOD.

Even though Randy and I don't like each other, I wouldn't have a problem with the MetalMeet BOD giving CONTROL of the site to Randy, or leaving my content if the BOD had had a choice in the matter. Unfortunately for all concerned, it was presented as a done deal.

I believe Randy will try and get the site back on track but I can't support the way it was done.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
The most current backup was "lost" along with the original metalmeet information. Not just corrupted, but lost.

Jack was fortunate to find an older un erased copy, and that is what the site has restarted upon. To my knowlege he has no other backup, else he would have supplied it.

Jack refused to communicate? Gary I like you, but I must ask where you get your information. I doubt it is first hand. I have received mine from Jack, and you can feel free to contact him yourself, or any other member of ANY site, and allow you to draw your own conclusions. I have also gotten my information from research on vBulletions own website and forum. I'd LOVE to see anybody do this and report their findings. PM me for Jacks E-mail, If you are so inclined. If not, well, then we all can just continue these guessing games because what someone posted on a forum must be true.

Marty
i recieve my info from recent and past board members.

no point in me having jack`s email address, i wouldn`t want to seem to be harrassing him. he is the guy who doesn`t have a backup. so why would i waste my time at this point.

again, if jack had the backups we wouldn`t be using three year old backups, but apparently he doesn`t.

i`m not buying the original and backup was corrupted at the same time, a backup and an original are two different things, doesn`t seem reasonable.

the man doesn`t have backups.

gary
Old 04-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Administrator

It is also my understanding from talking to "people in the know" that Jack handed over all of the current backups of the site to the new administrators. As a webmaster with a few years experience, unless your contract says otherwise, you hand over the latest backup of the site information and remove any leftovers from your system upon being notified of your dismissal from that position. When they tell you that your services are no longer needed, your responsibility ends. Sorry, it really is that simple.

Jack did a great job for us. Sometimes he was a bit slow to respond and I totally relate to that. Having a personal crisis to attend to really does trump communicating with someone who has decided to fire you and cease payment for your services.

Oh, and, Gary, the way VB works you have to backup the database and then import it into the software. That is my understanding of the process. There are a number of ways to corrupt a backup copy - sometimes just by importing it.

Tim D.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:24 PM

Gary, i request you to inform yourself how the BB's are set up. The amount of data is hosted on a server, and the webmaster has passcodes and such to access it. The original and backup was on that server. Sometimes a webmaster decides to save it elsewhere for safety, but that is sometimes guranteed with different servers, or hosting companies. Once Jack turned things over, no, you are right, he did not have backups in that sence of the word.

Your information, such as mine, is second hand at best. I have backed up my information with hundreds of hours of reserch

Marty
Old 04-03-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Gary, i request you to inform yourself how the BB's are set up. The amount of data is hosted on a server, and the webmaster has passcodes and such to access it. The original and backup was on that server. Sometimes a webmaster decides to save it elsewhere for safety, but that is sometimes guranteed with different servers, or hosting companies. Once Jack turned things over, no, you are right, he did not have backups in that sence of the word.

Your information, such as mine, is second hand at best. I have backed up my information with hundreds of hours of reserch

Marty
thats what i`m saying marty, he had no real backup, that was his job.

let me be clear here, i don`t know jack and don`t like or dislike him, i don`t know him, but, his job was to keep backups and untill the switch to the new server was completed successfully his job was to have a backup.

we paid for that service.

gary
Old 04-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Administrator

The switch to the new server was made after Jack was notified that his services were no longer needed. As a web dude, I would say "out of my hands" once I turned over whatever info I had to the person firing me.

Tim D.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:39 PM

annnnd up to the point when he turned it over, the backup was in good order.

I am sorry, I dont know how else to explain it, he did his job exatly as you are suggestting. Jack doesnt "keep" backups, that was all on the server. Now, in light of this, I even think AMS is doing a backup on thier own hard drive on some manner.

Marty