All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

View Poll Results: Are you signing up for the contest
Yes, I want to do the beginner project 12 42.86%
Yes, I want to do the intermediate project 14 50.00%
Yes, I want to do the advanced project 2 7.14%
No. I'm not interested. 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-14-2010, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Default 2010 AllMetalShaping contest

For as long as there has been a metal shaping community, there has been discussion about how we can get people involved and out in the shop. Wray and I spoke of it numerous times in the early days of MetalMeet. We never could get it off the ground. So here we are today with this new metal shaping site and the same concern. That is, how can we help people learn and increase involvment?

Some of this you may have picked up but the rest is new. Here is a proposal.

We will define three defined projects, beginner, intermediate, and advanced. The definition will be robust and clear. Drawings will be produced as necessary. The timeline for completion is 12-31-2010.

Members who complete the project, AND document their progress and finished project will be in line for a drawing for some type of ‘prize’. Prizes to be determined based on what we can get. The quality of your finished result will not impact your eligibility as long as it’s a serious attempt. If you do the work, document it here, your name goes in the hat. This would level the playing field. Some folks can use hand tools, or whatever you have except as noted on the beginner project.

We’ll draft Dan Shady, a man of impeccable character, to draw the names.

The advantage of this contest is that, because many people are doing the same thing, people will be able to share and ask questions about the SPECIFIC problem they are having. We do not want these to be done in a vacuum. We expect folks to document their progress AS THEY GO! There is no advantage to sandbagging or hiding work. Completing the project to spec gets your name in the hat. After that it's up to the luck of the draw.

Some folks will find this a breeze and others will struggle. Together we will all learn something.

Ok. Let's see if we can't make some decisions on what kind of things make up the three categories.

Advanced project:

An accurate reproduction of a childs pedal car body or scratch built design PREFERABLY from an owner made hard buck. Result will require understanding how to make accurate replacement panels using metalshaping (stretching and shrinking) techniques. The purpose of the hard buck is that we want the body to be an accurate reproduction, not just something that kind of looks like something. Additional skills required will be welding and metalfinishing. Only the body is required for the project. If we get 10 people on this, I'll donate the dedicated thumbnail machine as described in the earlier thread. (no motor, dies, pulleys, belts, or freight)

Intermediate project:

A 32 Ford grill shell. The grill shell must be made to a buck and may be a street rod or authentic style with the radiator filler hole. Shell may be shortened. The beaded flange where the hood rests is NOT a requirement.

OR

A motorcycle gas tank. The tank must be made to a buck, wood, foam, or an existing tank. Tank must be complete with tunnel, mounts, and filler neck.

Beginner project:

TWO identical bowls of at least 6" diameter. Each bowl must be at least a hemisphere (half a sphere) and be made to fit a pre-made profile (wood, metal, etc) accurately. Techniques MUST include stretching and shrinking by HAND...no press work or thumbnail dies. Planishing can be done by hand...no wheel work required. No welding unless it is to repair a crack.

Alternatives:

Don't want to make a deuce shell or cycle tank, bowls, or pedal car? Propose something else of equal or greater difficulty and we'll make a decision.

Step by step photos and write up posted on the site for all three categories..

If we can get 10 people to sign up for each project we'll do it. Prizes to be determined other than what has already been mentioned. If it's a go, I'll recruit some door prizes from our vendor friends. In addition, folks are welcome to donate their own prizes which we will package into three groups.

Guidelines...further guidelines may be posted as needed.

1-Joe, Johnny, Tim, or I will make any decisions required regarding who or what is eligible.
2-Projects may be MORE than what is described but not LESS.
3-Projects may be made in any metal, steel, brass, copper, aluminum, titanium
4-The admins may do the project but are not eligible for the drawings.
5-No paint is allowed until the project is completely documented.
6-'Gaming' the contest will result in being disqualified (FTDR = Failure To Do Right).
7-All work must be your own.
8-You may enter multiple categories but only one prize will be awarded per person. In other words, if you enter the beginner AND the intermediate, and win both, you'd only get the intermediate prize.
9-The prizes will probably be bigger the harder the project...depends on what we get donated.
10-All projects must be complete and documented on AllMetalShaping.com by midnight 12-31-10. That gives us more than 6 months.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:49 AM

Default beginner

I am new to metal shaping and much of what I "know" I've read here. I am willing to give it a go. I have a feeling I'll be the struggler.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:03 AM

Hi kerry,

I signed up for the advanced project, but will probably have help from a couple friends...
Old 05-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Administrator

On the advanced project you may have help. You'll have to decide how to divide up the award...

On the other projects you can certainly work with other people to show you how to do things but ALL work should be your own. This is going to be an honor system.

Also, if you are a beginner, you can do multiple projects but can only win one award. Advanced shapers cannot do the lower skill projects for the prize but if they want to do one just for fun that's fine. Etc. I can see beginners doing the bowl and then deciding they want to tackle the grill shell or motorcycle tank.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:52 PM

A question on the beginners project. By, Each bowl must be at least a hemisphere (half a sphere) , do mean that if the bowl is 6" diameter , it must be at least 3" deep in the center.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:02 PM

Kerry,

Can you have a section where all these projects are located so we can follow along and ask/give help and advice? We do that on a motorcycle board I'm on and they have a garage build type build-off each year. The best part is following the progress over the course of the thing.

Put me in for a gas tank. Something I can use.

Dan Shady is the kindest, best looking, most talented person I know.

John

Last edited by John Jordan; 05-14-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:04 PM
MetalShaper of the month 07-12

I think John's sucking up already.

Seriously, what's the time frame on the catagories or did I miss that somewhere? I'm in the shop every night, so another projects not a motivation for me.

Bob
Old 05-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebarg View Post
A question on the beginners project. By, Each bowl must be at least a hemisphere (half a sphere) , do mean that if the bowl is 6" diameter , it must be at least 3" deep in the center.
Yes. In other words, when you put one hemisphere on top of the other, it forms a perfect sphere. For someone who wants to push the envelope a bit, it would be nice to put a inside flange on one part (say a 1/2" lip) so the two pieces would fit together. This would require going past a hemisphere a bit in order to have material for the lip.

Personally I find an 8" bowl to be easier to work than smaller sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jordan View Post
Can you have a section where all these projects are located so we can follow along and ask/give help and advice? We do that on a motorcycle board I'm on and they have a garage build type build-off each year. The best part is following the progress over the course of the thing....
Yes, we'll create a forum for the contest and have subforums for individual build diarys with threads for each category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
... what's the time frame on the catagories or did I miss that somewhere? ...
You missed it Bob. All projects must be complete and documentation on the site by new years day. (Midnight 12-31-10)
Old 05-15-2010, 07:44 AM
Administrator

I would love to see this blow up.

I am busy as all get out right now, between work and helping my Dad with his sheet metal work, I have a car coming today that needs a bunch of metal work done to it. Plus all of my projects that I have going on but with the time line that is given I'm still going to try and sneak at least two these requirements in and I'm not eligible for the prizes.

I will probably do the Beginner and the Intermediate project. I would love to do the grill shell but I have tried like heck to find one but had no luck. I probably off for the tank I did one already and had a blast doing it, it was a pretty plane tank so this time I will make a wild one.

I just enjoy doing it. If you want to contribute to the metal shaping community this will be a great way to do it.

If any vendors want to help with the prizes it might help.

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Metalshaper of the Month, May 2010

Why does the bike tank have to be made off a buck? Is that what makes it intermediate? Just asking.

Last edited by Gleeser; 05-15-2010 at 01:06 PM.