All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-10-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvairwerks View Post
Jerry: Probably the best way to do the rails is from flat stock. You need to work out the hole/tube assembly process first though.

Looking at the variety of sizes on your drawing, a number of methods could be used, but a couple of areas would be really difficult. If you've got machining capability, it might be the best to simply machine up a tube with the ends flared and simply weld and grind flush to the rail faces. For consistency, you leave some alignment tabs on rails when they were cut, stack and tack weld them and then bore your holes thru all four at one time. Align and weld in all the tubes, then weld on the top and bottom plates to complete the boxes.

Food for thought.
Craig
My frame will have for the most part consistent sized holes, I had thought of dimple dieing the hole and welding a tube in , but your idea of machining the tube sounds good , that is something I have capability of doing that!
Thanks
Jerry
Old 02-10-2019, 09:35 AM

Default Holes

Jerry,
I’m a newbie and learning how to navigate site.
Go to “all albums”, and look at my album “1937 Riley”. The picture car is a 1937 Riley Continental chassis, with factory lightweight holes. May give you some ideas.
John
Old 02-10-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240healey View Post
Jerry,
I’m a newbie and learning how to navigate site.
Go to “all albums”, and look at my album “1937 Riley”. The picture car is a 1937 Riley Continental chassis, with factory lightweight holes. May give you some ideas.
John
John
Thank you , that’s very similar to what I’m thinking of !
Jerry
Old 02-10-2019, 12:50 PM

Here is a frame built from flat stock. Jimmy is a master fabricator.

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Jimmy_Hervatin's_1951_Ford

More pics of the frame
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...lit-up.549162/

Last edited by lots2learn; 02-10-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:27 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2018, Jan. 2021

Hi Jerry, here is a picture of a Bugatti Type 59B/50 which a friend built up for a customer. The frame rails I believe were made in the UK and were purchased from the Bugatti Owners Club along with a kit of raw castings for the engine etc... I'm not sure how the rails were made in this instance, but can potentially find out.

Name:  Image_00076.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  85.4 KB

I've got a long term Type 51 project in the corner of the shed and I had the rail parts plasma cut from 4.0mm structural plate and then corner to corner welded them to fabricate up the rails. These like the Type 59 are 'C' section rails. Also welded the inside with a filet weld before sanding and filing the outside welds to give a consistent radius. A bit difficult to control the distortion in some places and a problem to finish the welds on the inside. The outside radius ends up being smaller than on the original rails.

The original rails for the 35/51's were made over a large hammerfrom (cast iron?) and I found an old picture of a group of guys chasing the material down in a single process. Not sure if there was any heat involved back in 1926 when they were doing it. Tried to relocate the image but can't seem to find it.

Another way of building the rails that was suggested to me, was to get two angles folded up for each side and then contour these to follow the top and bottom of the original rails and then to weld a flat piece into the middle. This would give you the large 'vintage style' radius on the edges and a reasonably straightforward task to finish the welds on the flat bits.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:40 PM

Richard,

1: Is that a Countach creeping into view?
2: Are they old school chairs supporting the Bugatti?
Old 02-10-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lots2learn View Post
Here is a frame built from flat stock. Jimmy is a master fabricator.

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Jimmy_Hervatin's_1951_Ford

More pics of the frame
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...lit-up.549162/
Greg
Sweet thread on the truck , I’m a member of the hamb and subscribe to Kustomrama
Thanks!
Old 02-10-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skintkarter View Post
Hi Jerry, here is a picture of a Bugatti Type 59B/50 which a friend built up for a customer. The frame rails I believe were made in the UK and were purchased from the Bugatti Owners Club along with a kit of raw castings for the engine etc... I'm not sure how the rails were made in this instance, but can potentially find out.

Attachment 51340

I've got a long term Type 51 project in the corner of the shed and I had the rail parts plasma cut from 4.0mm structural plate and then corner to corner welded them to fabricate up the rails. These like the Type 59 are 'C' section rails. Also welded the inside with a filet weld before sanding and filing the outside welds to give a consistent radius. A bit difficult to control the distortion in some places and a problem to finish the welds on the inside. The outside radius ends up being smaller than on the original rails.

The original rails for the 35/51's were made over a large hammerfrom (cast iron?) and I found an old picture of a group of guys chasing the material down in a single process. Not sure if there was any heat involved back in 1926 when they were doing it. Tried to relocate the image but can't seem to find it.

Another way of building the rails that was suggested to me, was to get two angles folded up for each side and then contour these to follow the top and bottom of the original rails and then to weld a flat piece into the middle. This would give you the large 'vintage style' radius on the edges and a reasonably straightforward task to finish the welds on the flat bits.
The radius on the rail is something I’d like to keep era correct and I had thought of something similar to the 2piece . I had also thought of taking a tall c channel and using cuts to move the lower up to meet the top making the profile.
Absolutely love your Bugatti project !
Old 02-10-2019, 11:47 PM

Some of the holes could be used /filled with long tubes to make crosmembers for your frame . I like the idea of welding up your rails from plasma, laser cut or water jet parts. That saves a lot of measuring to cut holes to match from side to side. Do you have the straight eight for the 32? my 33 needs a good rebuildable 8 . Don
Old 02-11-2019, 05:19 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2018, Jan. 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Davies View Post
Richard,

1: Is that a Countach creeping into view?
2: Are they old school chairs supporting the Bugatti?
1. No it was a Lotus Esprit Rob had at the time - but there is always interesting stuff in his shed. I visited one day and he had not one, but 2x Daytonas there.
2. Haha, yes my buddy Rob who built the Type 59 works very simply with what he has to hand. I'm embarrassed by the amount of gear I have by comparison. A very clever chap (google his Aero engined Riley)