All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-04-2009, 06:56 PM
That Guy

Question Aluminum Bottlecan Label Removal

I have a plan that incorporates the Budweiser bottlecan but I would like to remove the labeling from it so I end up with a nice clean aluminum bottlecan.

I have considered a solution of muratic acid+water but not sure if A. it will work, or B. will affect the integrity of the bottlecan.

Any and All suggestions will be considered.

Thnx
~Jef
Old 07-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Jef, the labels on the aluminum cans is actually ink that is baked on. I assume that the bottle can is the same. Not sure what will remove it. The side walls of the container will be very thin and the inside is also coated. Don't know what you are going to use it for. Aluminum will be eaten up and disappear it you put a basic material, caustic product on it. Acid has less affect but can attack the alloys in the aluminum. The container is probably made out of 3003 aluminum for the main body. Hope this information is useful.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:09 PM

Is this bottle can shaped like a beer bottle? Is it the same as used for some vodka coolers? I used one marked "TABU" for a coolant catch tank on my coupe(left the letters on). Another one I sanded the ink off and polished for an experiment, the sides seemed thick enough for this. Am I on the right page?
Old 07-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Try lacquer thinner and a scotchbrite - works on the cans, don't see why it wouldn't work on the bottle shaped ones too.

Muratic acid is something I have used for photoetching aluminum in the past.....DO NOT use it on a piece of aluminum you want to keep and/or to have a nice finish!

Tim D.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:06 AM

I can't remember Who but someone suggested Dollar Store Oven cleaner for a coating that was so tough nothing else worked...

It was amazing how fast it (I still don't know what the coating was) came off... for a buck!

"Coppretta" Barb Lawrence

http://Coppretta.com
Old 07-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Ah yes, oven cleaner does indeed work for removing tough coatings. Wear gloves though.

Thanks, Barb, I had actually forgotten about that trick!

Tim D.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Oven cleaner is caustic and eats the aluminum.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Well, we are talking about beer containers............raw materials are easy enough to get, just make sure to recover before experimenting with removing the coating

The oven cleaner may work fast enough to remove the coating from the can, but might eat the can.

The muratic acid likely won't affect the coating and WILL eat the aluminum if it comes in contact with an uncoated area.

Castrol Super Clean and the other "purple cleaners" will remove paint if left on long enough, but they will also destroy or otherwise harm the aluminum.

A good soak in lacquer thinner should remove anythng short of powder coating or urethane paints (haven't tried it on urethane) and at worst will leave a white haze on the aluminum.

I'm used to removing paint from plastic - oven cleaner works well, but is a hassle to use. Purple degreaser works a bit slower, but works great. On metal, I usually use paint stripper or lacquer thinner - which will destroy plastic almost immediately.

Tim D.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:25 AM

I dont know what that coating was on my copper mugs but thinner and paint stripper didn't do a thing to it, I left one in a sealed can of acetone overnight...nothing.

I sprayed on the oven cleaner waited five minutes and rinsed it off...then cleaned it with mild phosphoric acid wash...good as new.

Maybe aluminum is much wimpier than copper?

"Coppretta" Barb Lawrence

http://Coppretta.com
Old 07-06-2009, 02:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppretta View Post
Maybe aluminum is much wimpier than copper?
Aluminum is indeed much wimpier than copper! For etching, I have to reduce ferric chloride 1:1 with water for aluminum; the full strength stuff foams up , turns the aluminum green and dissolves everything. Full strength ferric chloride still takes some time on copper.

Tim D.