All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-07-2016, 10:26 PM

Default Sissy bar

I have my sissy bar mounted temporarily to my motorcycle. Everything lines up after the bends were added. Problem is that it pushes my rear fender to the left. Now maybe im over thinking this, but I dont think I should just more or less push it to the right till it is aligned. It would then be at an angle if I did that. What are your opinions on how to align this so the fender sits in the center? I feel Im over thinking this and thats whats making it hard to find the answer.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:13 AM

Lightbulb

hey there, if I had this in front of me I would take off the bar, and check to see if its straight, seems like the right side is tweaked in, not sure if you would be able to just tweak it back, and adjust the bar, remount it until it frees up your fender. disclaimer, I do cars, but I figured ide give my two cents since its better the nothin. let me know what you've tried
Old 01-08-2016, 09:09 AM

Default Sissy bar

Personally, I would remove the bar completely, then start at the bottom right, tweak the bar until it fit the right side properly, then correct the bend just above the rear fender. Continue correcting the bend at the top and work my way down to the bottom on the left.

Another approach would be to undo the right side, open up the bend on top until it clears the fender, over bend a reverse just below the fender, then a return just below that to get back to the proper mounting point.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:35 AM

Looks to me that the left side of the down leg has too much offset in the first joggle from the bottom.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:24 PM

Hello Cody.

First draw a line perpendicular to the front edge of your layout table the length of your sissy bar.

Then measure the distance from the center of the tire to the mounting point of the sissy bar on each side.

Transfer these dimensions to your layout table.

Make some mock mounting tabs and clamp them to the table in the appropriate position and bolt in the mounting tabs for the sissy bar.

Draw a line indicating the height and width of the fender and the total height of the sissy bar ( the mark should be to the inside of the bar material so you can see it from the near side).

Mark the center line on your sissy bar and get to bending. Now you have all the points that you have to miss.

It makes it easier if you draw straight lines up from the leading edge of the layout table from each point and then you can see where the bends need to be depending on the center line radios of your bending block.

This is the method I used in 1972 when I redesigned the rear section of the DKW after they bought out Sachs.

Jere
Teaching The Fundamentals of Metal Shaping
www.jerekirkpatrick.com

All tools are a hammer except the chisel.....That's a screwdriver.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:26 PM

Thanks everyone. I look the advice and used what worked best for what tools and situation I had. The right side wasnt squared and angled to the left. I straightened that out. got all the angles were right and everything was aligned and I noticed the left side is a bit short and that also caused it to lean to the left. Since i left a bit extra on the ends factoring my bends may not be spot on when i designed it I just nipped a little off the right side and it now sits straight.