All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-09-2017, 06:46 AM

Default puch tank resto 1954 sv

Ok heres the process so far of metal finishing the tank

now I have to weld the bottoms flaps on, and braze on the fuel tap bungs and the , and give the rest of the tank a light sand to remove the surface rust, then I can drop it off at the chromers for finishing, then I have to body fill some areas where paint will be, prime, paint, pinstripe and last of all seal the inside of the tank with POR15.

here's a pic of where the chrome will be and the pinstripe (just painted on) I am going to try both vinyl pinstripe and if you can see the join/seam then I will paint it on in 2pack white.

I've got to make a template with baking paper so both tank sides are perfectly the same size.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:51 AM

heres the bike!!
Old 03-09-2017, 07:23 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Very impressive. I really appreciate what you're doing.

So many European bikes are rebuilt more than properly restored, specifically because of the chromed tank issues. I've had several of these Puchs split singles or twingles of similar configuration over the years, usually only for a short time and never have actually rebuilt any of them. Very cool to see yours in such great shape.

Thanks for posting.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:19 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

It's good to see the serious level you are going to, Ed.
Sure makes the scooter worth having.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:25 AM

Default Puch

Great job! These were damn fine bikes, here n the USA they were under appreciated. Looks like you appreciate yours!
Old 03-09-2017, 07:00 PM

Nice looking twingle......interesting motor design.

(Twingle: Twin Single, Two pistons one spark plug shared combustion chamber)
Old 03-10-2017, 03:23 AM

thanks for the kind words guys

it was a mess when I first got it

I designed my own crank bearing setup and fully replaced all the engine internals, bored and new pistons
do all my own zinc plating and chromating with pretty good results (just the cheap vinegar, magnesium sulfate and zinc sulfate bath)

this was my first time finishing a tank.

I have 3 more of these (different models) with same early tank design. later htey went to screw on chrome tank sides which meant you didnt need to go mad on the tank.

the biggest disappointment with this tank was that the bottoms were rusted out, and welding 0.6mm sheet metal with a cheap tig has left me with a slightly less than desirable weld along these patch panels. there will need to be a little body filler (where the tank will be painted) but I can live with that for now.

I will probably keep this bike long term so if it comes around for a second restoration it may be one of the things i'll address.

my other tanks are in such bad shape they will need new tank sides (the emblems are damaged ) lucky you can buy reproduction tank sides to weld in from austria, the quality is low and they need a huge amount of metal finishing to get chromed anyway. it may just be easier for me to buy a whole tank!

but I wont be doing the bikes for a while as I have some other puch scooters to get done and sold, the scooters dont interest me greatly.

Last edited by s900t8v; 03-10-2017 at 03:26 AM.