All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-28-2015, 06:27 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2020

The problem for us old guys is that most auto darkening helmets don't have a light enough shade setting. Most only go down to 9 and that is just to dark for seeing well welding thin metals with old eyes.
I use old style flip up helmets with different shades in each. A 6 in one, a 8 in one and a 10 in one. And a 5 shade lens to put in one for special very low amp welding. And since I have started to need reading glasses I have magnifier lenses in them.

So if I were to want an auto darkening helmet I would get one that goes down to shade 7 as in this one from Radnor which is as low as I have seen them go.
I havent tried it and do not know the quality but it sounds more like what old eyes would need.

http://airgasoutlet.com/products/rad...sader-graphics
Old 02-05-2015, 08:14 PM

I started out with one from Northern Tool. Didn't last very long. I have upgraded to a Jackson auto helmet. I like it a lot. If you don't do much welding I would suggest one from Lowes, kobalt brand. I would store any welding helmet when not in use into a cabinet or tool box.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70staged View Post
I started out with one from Northern Tool. Didn't last very long. I have upgraded to a Jackson auto helmet. I like it a lot. If you don't do much welding I would suggest one from Lowes, kobalt brand. I would store any welding helmet when not in use into a cabinet or tool box.
I'm thinking about getting the Kobalt welding helmet from Lowes. Are you still happy with it?

Anyone else have any feedback if this is the route to go or if it is worth it to spend more money on a Speedglass?

I'm currently using a HF autodarkening and it is starting to flash when I start an arc....

Currently working on a new garage for the tools...
Also a member on garagejournal.com
Old 01-22-2018, 02:25 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRodDoc View Post
The problem for us old guys is that most auto darkening helmets don't have a light enough shade setting. Most only go down to 9 and that is just to dark for seeing well welding thin metals with old eyes.
I use old style flip up helmets with different shades in each. A 6 in one, a 8 in one and a 10 in one. And a 5 shade lens to put in one for special very low amp welding. And since I have started to need reading glasses I have magnifier lenses in them.

So if I were to want an auto darkening helmet I would get one that goes down to shade 7 as in this one from Radnor which is as low as I have I seen them go.
I havent tried it and do not know the quality but it sounds more like what old eyes would need.

http://airgasoutlet.com/products/rad...sader-graphics
I had trouble with the lightness/darkness of shades as I get older. 51 is a few weeks away, so about halfway between young and old.... It was pitch black when welding. I could barely see anything. Posted here last year about the problems, wondering if my nearly 20 yr old Speedglas helmet was failing like me. Also looked a lot online and found all kinds of solutions from reading glasses to lots of extra lights and more.

Then I found information on focal length, age related changes and how it impacts vision while welding. By not crowding my work- simply moving my head/eyes/helmet away from the weld puddle- it was like welding with a much lighter lens. No other changes and now I could see & weld much, much better. And by moving my face closer to the arc kernel, it went right back to welding blind in the dark again.....

The darkness issue is also related to dialating pupils and amount of light processed by the eye, not just lens shade level. As focal length changes, the ideal distance to a light source that can be properly managed by your dialating pupils changes as well. Find the sweet spot and you're golden.

It cost $zero$ to try it and it worked great. so my favorite new low buck trick everyone who is having challenges seeing while welding should know.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:20 PM

Discovered last week that my Miller helmet is also sensitive enough to give protection when oxy-cutting.

One of the best tools I have bought!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:01 PM

Default Kobalt helment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer1980 View Post
I'm thinking about getting the Kobalt welding helmet from Lowes. Are you still happy with it?

Anyone else have any feedback if this is the route to go or if it is worth it to spend more money on a Speedglass?

I'm currently using a HF autodarkening and it is starting to flash when I start an arc....
I have had a Kobalt helmet for a year and half and it has 4 sensors and a huge viewing area. It goes from 5 to 13 with a grind mode and an outside knob. It cost $120.00 and has a replaceable battery.
My son liked mine and has had one for a year and welds in a factory about 45 hours a week. Had to replace the battery the other day and has used a couple of boxes of the lens covers. He has used Speedglass and likes this better. He has welded for several years building horse trailers and says this is the best deal. He brings Gatorade jugs full of old mig and plasma tips home for scrap, so I think it has been used.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:25 PM

Make sure the hood you purchase has provisions for the " cheater " lens. These lens are a requirement after we reach about forty years old. Also have the focal length of the lens so that you do not have to hold your head close to the weld puddle thus the harmful fumes. Voice of experience-36 years in a huge fabrication and welding shop.
Have a good day;
Gulley
Old 01-23-2018, 02:25 AM

Brands aside, once you use an auto darkening helmet you will wonder why you persisted with the old flip front.
two immediate advantages: tacking joints is sooooo much easier to work your way along a joint. Second when you are holding parts with your offside hand it is easier to get settled without having to flick your head to get your shield down.