All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-16-2019, 04:35 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Default Historical Metal Working Photos

I spotted these interesting items in Paris last week. Imagine being a sheet metal worker 2,700 years ago!

The first two photos show a copper-bronze cuirasse (breast plate) that was found near Grenoble, France. It dates from the 7th Century BEFORE CHRIST! Note the wire edging along the bottom. I don't believe they had Magee machines back then...

IMG_20190211_102420203.jpg

IMG_20190211_102437945.jpg

These photos show the rotary engine cowl for a Morane-Saulnier A1 fighter from late in WWI. You can see the hammer marks clearly. I'm guessing that this was done with a martinet, not a simple blocking hammer.

IMG_20190209_123249634.jpg

IMG_20190209_123527113.jpg

IMG_20190209_123515974_BURST002.jpg

Finally, one of the giants of science was the Frenchman Antoine Lavoisier, whose career (and head) was cut short by the French Revolution in 1794. Here's a shot of the surviving equipment from his laboratory including two very early google/face shields. A few weeks after guillotining this brilliant scientist, the revolutionaries (Social Justice Warriors of their day) admitted they made a mistake and apologized to his wife.

IMG_9880.jpg

IMG_9882.JPG

IMG_9881.JPG
Old 02-16-2019, 08:32 PM

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!
Looking to build my own car from scratch
Old 02-16-2019, 11:19 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Hi,

Neat to see the cowl on the mono wing A1. The greatest leaps in technology, happen during a time of war.

B

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:55 AM

The Machine Thinking channel on youtube had the story of Lavoisier - saw it recently, funny you brought it up here. MT has a bunch of really interesting videos
Old 02-17-2019, 02:18 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Lavoisier is considered the "father" of chemistry...amongst many other achievements. He was a brilliant, and virtuous, man of the Enlightenment, whose career was ended by sanctimonious Social Justice Warriors... known then as "the Terror". History continues to repeat itself.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longyard View Post
Lavoisier is considered the "father" of chemistry...amongst many other achievements. He was a brilliant, and virtuous, man of the Enlightenment, whose career was ended by sanctimonious Social Justice Warriors... known then as "the Terror". History continues to repeat itself.

Little more complicated than that though I get your point. The French Revolution was inspired by the American Revolution and initially born under the same ideals of the Enlightenment and in particular Rousseau. It obviously went off course and devolved but it was initially brought about by legitimate Social, Economic, and Political concerns.
Quite a bit different than the SJW's of today who have nothing really to protest about so they look for anything in the form of "microaggressions".

Old 02-17-2019, 04:52 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTromblay View Post
Hi,

The greatest leaps in technology, happen during a time of war.

B

Perhaps - but the Hughes H1 was a significant exception, though it is credited by the Smithsonian as being the foundation for the Spitfire, the P40, and the Zero....

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:56 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Perhaps - but the Hughes H1 was a significant exception, though it is credited by the Smithsonian as being the foundation for the Spitfire, the P40, and the Zero....
There is exceptions, the H1 is a prime example. I think the lead designers of the Spitfire, P-40 and Zero would disagree with the Smithsonian assessment.

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:45 PM

Frank Whittle's jet engine and the German one were designed before the war.

Lawrence Hargrave's aerofoil was designed in the late 1800's.

I love exceptions to rules!

Cheers Charlie
Old 02-18-2019, 05:37 PM

I always had a focus on the H-1 as he set the record about 5 miles from where I grew up We routinely went past Santa Ana airfield from the mid-50's. I learned to fly there in the early 70's

In a conversation with John Thorp, when the H-1 was brought up, I learned he was disappointed in the Design of the H-1 as they left considerable aerodynamic improvements (better technology) on the table.