All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-04-2018, 11:26 AM

Default Scanning and wood buck ?

It has been awhile since i have been active on here. I have a potential project coming up and i was wondering about the possibilities of having a scale model scanned in and full size wood buck cnc routed from that. I was think from a time standpoint that might be the best way to go on this particular project.

Has anyone done this before or know of a company to work with for the scanning and router work?
Old 12-04-2018, 03:15 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexrogers View Post
It has been awhile since i have been active on here. I have a potential project coming up and i was wondering about the possibilities of having a scale model scanned in and full size wood buck cnc routed from that. I was think from a time standpoint that might be the best way to go on this particular project.

Has anyone done this before or know of a company to work with for the scanning and router work?
See my recent post to this thread: http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showt...=18058&page=17

Depending on what car you're talking about, it might be better/faster to not go the scanning route and just 3D model it. There's contact info in the thread for the guy who is doing it for me.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:42 PM

Joel
Thanks for the help, I have used Dan Palatnik in the past mostly for digital renderings, I didn't think to use him for the project.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexrogers View Post

There are plenty of companies that will scan your parts and creat the sold model for you..pretty easy, look up reverse engieering. Artech makes an awesome hand held digital scanner that creats the cad model while you scan. No need for for stck on datum targets.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Joel, do you mind giving a ballpark estimate on what the scan and cad work will be?
Old 12-05-2018, 07:13 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

I have had an Artech demo here at the shop. It is VERY impressive and VERY fast.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillWill View Post
I have had an Artech demo here at the shop. It is VERY impressive and VERY fast.
Sorry if this is considered hi jacking thread,

Whats your opinion on the cad cleanup work neeed after scanning? Did they demo their own software, or connect to your system. . Looking forward to hearing more about the demo.
Tony
Old 12-05-2018, 12:06 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

I saw the demo more than 2-3 years ago, and was so impressed that I purchased a copy of the editing software, but got involved with another 3D scanning situation, and let it slide from there, but I was very impressed with how fast the actual scanning was.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:27 AM
Banned

Default 3D modeling and buck creating

Hello all

I have been providing files for buck-making, starting with a 3dmodel that can be viewed and rotated by the client in Autodesk Viewer until all issues are dealt then the sectioning are made. All sections are notched so that longitudinal and transverse/cross fit snugly into each other.
Each section from the 3dmodel is made of small straight lines that have to be manually redone with Bezier curves for a cleaned up result. The sections are temporarily extruded and a 3d buck is submitted to the client in Autodesk Viewer for a general appraisal. Each section is ID'd by a number or brief description cut in it.
Examples of 3dmodels and their bucks i have made can be found here.

Last edited by Palat; 12-10-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:45 AM

Thanks, I just sent you an Email Dan.
The car is the Timbs Special.