All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-24-2011, 11:59 PM

Default 1932 ford beadlinehelp

This is the beadline from a 1932 ford pickup that I'm working on.I was wondering how I could make this contour.I know that you can buy these skins but that would take the fun out of it. After all it is a metal working site.I thought maybe a beadroller. Mainly because thats all that I have at the moment.I hate to ask a question like this being new to the site, but I have already seen that there are many people on here that are real craftsman and I want to learn from you guys if I can. The over all lemght is about 3.5 inches and about 3/8 inch deep. I have some more pics on my personal album but I couldn't get more than one on here as they kept erasing them. Would appreciate any and all help. Thanks Mark (newbie)
Old 01-25-2011, 12:09 AM

Default Question

Mark,

I'll let others with more experience answer your question, but I think the answer is going to be Pullmax or hammer form. I have a similar question, but I want to change the belt line, leaving it where it is on the side, but raising it higher as it swoops up to the line on the rear of the cab.

I do have a question for you though. All the patch panels I've seen are for below the belt line. Have you found ones that include the belt line?

John
Old 01-25-2011, 12:15 AM

Yes I've seen some on ebay for sale 625.00 each I think, they are waldens I believe. I talked to some people that used them and they said they were really nice. The reason for the beadroller was that I thought I had seen were a beltline on the cab of a 41 chevy was made that way. Mark
Old 01-25-2011, 12:31 AM

Default Bead Roller

Again, there are others here that can answer your questions better than I. However, I think the type of bead roller you have (stiffness of frame and axles) will govern this as the die width will have to be so wide to do both beads at the same time. With that long of a die, you'll have a lot of leverage out there. Do you have a way to make dies?

I wonder if one bead at a time will work?

Or if you could make it with an ewheel (narrower lower anvils, urethane upper) and a tipping wheel to put in the crease?

FYI - there are posters on this website from Walden's.

Looking forward to some pro's answering your questions.

John
Old 01-25-2011, 12:45 AM
Administrator

Mark, the easiest way to make that shape is with a pullmax or other reciprocating machine as John indicated. I have seen a set of dies made for a similar belt line on a Model A. So it can be done in a GOOD bead roller.

Three and a half inch wide shape is going to be too wide for most bead rollers if you try to make the shape all at once. Most bead roller dies are 1-1/2 to 2" wide. My big machine uses 3" wide rolls but will take larger. The rolls to make that shape at one time would probably have to be 4-1/2 to 5" wide.

If I was going to try to make that shape with a bead roller I would make a set of rolls that would roll the center shape first. Once that is complete you could shape the outside of the beads with a different set of rolls. Keeping everything straight will be the trick. I've never tried to make a shape exactly like that. I have put a crease down a domes panel with a tipping wheel.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:50 AM

No I dont have a way to make the dies, I'd have to go to a machine shop to have them made. I think I have a way to stiffen up the outside edge of a die that long on a bead roller. It's an experiment, but I think it would work. As for two dies I dont know, I was hoping to get alot a feedback from some of the pros on here. I'm sure it's no problem for some but for me and what tools that I have it will be a real challenge. I have a couple 32-33 ford trucks I'd like to get started on but I keep getting caught up in make parts for the darn things and never seem to get anything done that shows. These door skins have been killing me for awhile so I guess I'll be scraping alot of metal on these. What's worse is I want the whole outside skin. Some of these guys skills are so good it almost depresses me, but I have to start somewhere and I'm fascinated by the metalshaping bug. Mark
Old 01-25-2011, 01:04 AM

Thanks Joe for the reply. Iknow I'm in over my head on this. Who could make dies for a pullmax, any good machine shop? My wife says I'm to hard headed and dont have enough sense to know my limitations. Keeping it straight would be a problem also, I'm just trying to get started in the right direction and thats why I was hoping you would be one of the guys to chime in on this.I really appreciate and need the advice. Thanks again Mark
Old 01-25-2011, 01:04 AM
Administrator

If you have to have a machine shop make the rolls it is going to be very expensive. What bead roller do you have? If you have 3/4" shafts I don't think it will take the force needed.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:35 AM

The bead roller I have is a beefed up hf with 2 bye 4 inch 1/4 tubing with diagnal bracing. Your right , the shafts probably wouldn't hold up wiyh the pressure it would take. I would have to have dies made at a machine shop and could possibly get a deal on that part. Did I read the above right Joe, that you talking about three separate sets of dies or two.? Both outside radius are the same, it seems that your pic is what I was wanting to do with a tipping die ran a little deeper through the middle? Thanks again Mark
Old 01-25-2011, 02:00 AM
Administrator

Mark if the radius is the same then two sets of rolls. One thing to watch for, on the center rolls make sure that the center top roll has enough clearance so that it doesn't cut the metal. The set that I saw had a problem with that and they had to be modified.